Grateful Dead Fine Clips Thread

VincentPuleo

• Forum MVP
whoa, never that before... are there more songs from this session?

This is the clip from BackStage pass that I was referring to in another thread.

Justin K, who directed the whole video, wanted them to sing a Dylan song that they no longer played in concert and wanted Bob and Jerry to share the verses and this fit the bill.

This segment closed the vid, if I recall.

• Forum MVP

I think most people have already seen this Vegas vid but for those who haven't...the quality is why this clip is interesting. Great sound and vid quality, despite the super annoying effects that run throughout.

I actually am not a fan of GD videos at all--they always just annoy the hell out of me with the decisions whoever is editing makes--even the good ones that are shot by heads via tripods who may be tripping but who know the music, then synched (decades later) to good quality audio, ultimately end up depressing the hell out of me--something that tapes have never done.

So...this version of Roads is a train wreck because he just cannot remember any of the words for anything. It's just not pretty at all but the reason I am posting this is so people who haven't seen it can see the end of it and just watch and listen to him sing. This is obviously not one of the good nights and it's not a good time either but the viewer still can witness how real he is, how real his music is in combination with the kind of talent someone like Beethoven or Miles Davis possess. Don't watch this vid if you don't want to be sad cause it will probably make you sad but watch it if you want to remember a little of what he could give us, even on his worst nights--and how just that little, ends up having more soul than most people reveal on their best.

Here's a great clip many may never have seen. Jerry doing Smioke Gets in Your Eyes from the soundtrack of "Smoke" i believe the movie was called. Ashley Judd seems pretty enamored with good 'ol Jer but then again who wasn't.

I'm hooked on this one lately !!!

mmm Mike.....i've loved that tune since the first time i heard JGB cover it all those years ago.....very nice, thanks for digging that one up

• Forum MVP
mmm Mike.....i've loved that tune since the first time i heard JGB cover it all those years ago.....very nice, thanks for digging that one up

That song always reminds me of how incredible seeing that band at the Warfield was. Those guys would open one show a weekend with a Shining Star and it seems like we got the combo of Star>Maker a lot. What a combo those two songs were.

There was nothing that compared with seeing that man at that place so often during the year--you could get so freaking close. The sound from his guitar was so loud and in your face, it seemed like it could lift you off the ground.

Luckier still were the souls old enough to have caught that band at the Keystone or Stone every other month for all those years!

Bastards.

Guest deadheadmike
That song always reminds me of how incredible seeing that band at the Warfield was. Those guys would open one show a weekend with a Shining Star and it seems like we got the combo of Star>Maker a lot. What a combo those two songs were.

There was nothing that compared with seeing that man at that place so often during the year--you could get so freaking close. The sound from his guitar was so loud and in your face, it seemed like it could lift you off the ground.

Luckier still were the souls old enough to have caught that band at the Keystone or Stone every other month for all those years!

Bastards.

Had the Grateful Dead decided enough was enough and broken up after the passing of Brent , Jerry and the JGB touring casually in smaller venues ( theaters ) would have been perfect for me ... not to mention the possibility of him still being here ... wishful thinking , of course .

• Forum MVP
Had the Grateful Dead decided enough was enough and broken up after the passing of Brent , Jerry and the JGB touring casually in smaller venues ( theaters ) would have been perfect for me ... not to mention the possibility of him still being here ... wishful thinking , of course .

Totally agreed, things changed after Brent passed. JGB year round would've been great, but hookin' up with his ol' bud Dave Grisman and doing some 'grass would've been the shit. I always loved those two together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKvDtWeyO5c .................... a classic

• Forum MVP

ahh, Daniek Lanois..

Fritz, what is that Smoke Gets In Your Eyes thing? that has to be the most peculiar thing I've ever seen... haha.

Here is something really cool... I love how Phil has taken such an interest in some younger musicians and wanted to work with them.. here is footage of him teaching Ryan Adams

and

Phil Lesh & Friends, Magnolia Mountain

would love to hear what Rob would have to say about this experience... this line up was amazing.

Archived