Is This A Good Festival For Kids?

Guest QuinnTheE

Guest QuinnTheE

Hey everybody. I'm looking for a family friendly festival this summer and the Gratefulfest caught my eye.

The Ledges looks like an incredible place for a music festival with lots of other things to do and tons of natural beauty. The beach and swimming is intriguing... the website shows a bunch of other stuff, but not sure if that is available during music festivals.

Here are my questions for Gratefulfest vets:

• Is this a good fest to bring kids? My boys are 7, 6, and 3. This would be their first music festival of this kind. They are not "tour veterans". We typically get babysitters when we go to shows.
  • Are there specific activities for kids?
  • How is the stage setup? In some photos it looks like it is right on the sandy beach. Is there a place in the back to setup a blanket and chill?
  • Is there a place or hookup for RV or popup camping?
  • How are the campgrounds at night? Is it loud / party oriented? What time is the music over? Is there family specific camping? The nitrous thread is not encouraging
  • What is the fireworks activity like on fourth of july weekend?

• Forum MVP

In reply to your questions:

1. emphatically yes

2. usually there is something going on for the little ones, if nothing else supervised by like-minded parents

3. stage faces a common ground, with a smaller stage off at about 10:00 as you face away from the main stage; there is a very large shaded area in the back of the main dance/thoroughfare

4. limited hookup

5. the campgrounds are active but not overbearing; the deeper in the woods the more rowdy; late shows usually end 1:00ish; the nitrous thread ultimately made it clear that this is as clean a festy of any size that you could reasonably expect

6. fireworks are lovely; check out some of the pics that cycle through at the top of the home page, or see NLQP website

Do not be concerned about the crooked hat crowd. Plenty of kind folks bring young uns and there is no problem.

Guest Rob Eaton

Actually there is a Family camping area near the entrance that is where you would want to be. It's near the kids playground and beach. The beach is lifeguard protected and run very well. Evan always has clowns and things for the little ones. It is the most family friendly festival I've ever attended!

Rob Eaton

• Forum MVP

What Chuck and Rob said.

AND - the "fireworks" part has two answers. The official ones are great like Chuck said. I would even say among the best I ever have seen. The unofficial ones can sometimes get annoying at night, so follow Rob's advice about the family camping area.

Guest Lisacat

Bring the kiddies!!!!! They bring great energy to the festival! But I would refer to the thread started by a Dr. Vapor titled "New Workshops Added for Festival" and keep the kids away from all those folks listed, especially #1-3.

• Forum MVP

One more thing: You should have hearing protection for your kids' tender young ears especially if they (or you) are a freeker by the speeker. That goes for any fest. Please excuse the nannying.

((((( Cam )))))

• Forum MVP

I've been to several festivals - big and small. I have seen the least amount of nitrous or evidence of (balloons) at Gratefulfest than any other fest except for maybe Wanee (also very family oriented). There is a beach you can set your blanket up on at night and hear the show perfect without being in a thick crowd. People are very respectful and the noise is fairly reserved at night and only gets a little out of hand deep in the woods where people like noise. As long as your a responsible parent and I assume you are, your kids will be safe and have a great time at the Ledges.

• Forum MVP

There's a playground with swings and various slides and children's playground things. I've seen many children (5 to 10 year olds) peacefully playing there with oversight by a few parents. ....also a nearby basketball court and voleball area.

Farther back from the sandy dance area in front of the stage is a grassy area with shade....good area for blankets and familys.

Food for children....? The VERY best pitza in the world. Usually an ice cream stand... hot breakfast availible, eggs etc.

Lots of other children..... One thing I always have to watch out for is while I'm danceing and into the music... a little one might come running along and not realise that some of us aduts are playing so hard that we might not see them.

Diffently a very family and children frendly festival.

Peace and Love,

Doc

• Forum MVP

.......keep the kids away from all those folks listed, especially #1-3.

That's just because those three are just big friendly kids too....let's see, ones's a good highschool teacher, the second, a gentleman and ought to be Grandfather, and the third's just a donky.

Peace, Fun, and Love,

Doc

• Advisory Board

Bring the kiddies!!!!!

"New Workshops Added for Festival" and keep the kids away from all those folks listed, especially #1-3.

Hey now... I'm not that bad, am I?

That's just because those three are just big friendly kids too....let's see, ones's a good highschool teacher, the second, a gentleman and ought to be Grandfather, and the third's just a donky.

Just a donkey... and here I thought I was THEE donkey... sheesh...

Hey Eaton... you got another one of those "Blame Eaton" shirts?? I wanna cross out your name and write mine in...

:rolleyes:

[*]Is this a good fest to bring kids? My boys are 7, 6, and 3. This would be their first music festival of this kind. They are not "tour veterans". We typically get babysitters when we go to shows.

Absolutely. I have friends that not only bring their kids but their grandkids

[*]Are there specific activities for kids?

as mentioned there is a playground area behind the stage. Also on sunday morning there will be clown activity on the side stage

[*]How is the stage setup? In some photos it looks like it is right on the sandy beach. Is there a place in the back to setup a blanket and chill?

yes the playground area is behind the stage area. Also the beach or behind the crowd at the woods edge are all nice places to chill.

[*]Is there a place or hookup for RV or popup camping?

There is no electrical hookup for RV. Popups are allowed at all campsites.

[*]How are the campgrounds at night? Is it loud / party oriented? What time is the music over? Is there family specific camping? The nitrous thread is not encouraging

If you arrive to late and the family camping is packed, try and stay close to the main dirt road. The closer to it the more cival the groups are. You want to avoid the deep wooded area running along the quarry lake. This is called 'the War Zone' and generally the loudest area in the park.

The main music stops at around 11:15PM but can go longer. The side stage will go until the late hours of the night but you generally can't hear it unless you are really close. Security will start shutting down things like drum circles and people playing really loud music sometime after 2. It all depends on what area you are in.

I go to the park about 8 times a year. I've been to the last 5 Grateful-Fests. I walk the whole park frequently. I can tell you this. If security gets a whiff of nitrous they will shut it down. I think in all the times i've been to the park (well over 40 times) i have seen nitrous once. I would not consider the nitrous thread a realistic view, except for those that say they haven't seen it, of the Ledges. I know guys in security, they are cool heads, they see someone holding balloons or balloons on the ground, they will find the source and remove them.

[*]Is this a good fest to bring kids? My boys are 7, 6, and 3. This would be their first music festival of this kind. They are not "tour veterans". We typically get babysitters when we go to shows.

as mentioned there is a playground area behind the stage. Also on sunday morning there will be clown activity on the side stage

[*]How is the stage setup? In some photos it looks like it is right on the sandy beach. Is there a place in the back to setup a blanket and chill?

yes the playground area is behind the stage area. Also the beach or behind the crowd at the woods edge are all nice places to chill.

[*]How are the campgrounds at night? Is it loud / party oriented? What time is the music over? Is there family specific camping? The nitrous thread is not encouraging

If you arrive to late and the family camping is packed, try and stay close to the main dirt road. The closer to it the more cival the groups are. You want to avoid the deep wooded area running along the quarry lake. This is called 'the War Zone' and generally the loudest area in the park.

The main music stops at around 11:15PM but can go longer. The side stage will go until the late hours of the night but you generally can't hear it unless you are really close. Security will start shutting down things like drum circles and people playing really loud music sometime after 2. It all depends on what area you are in.

I go to the park about 8 times a year. I've been to the last 5 Grateful-Fests. I walk the whole park frequently. I can tell you this. If security gets a whiff of nitrous they will shut it down. I think in all the times i've been to the park (well over 40 times) i have seen nitrous once. I would not consider the nitrous thread a realistic view, except for those that say they haven't seen it, of the Ledges. I know guys in security, they are cool heads, they see someone holding balloons or balloons on the ground, they will find the source and remove them.

Very nice discription! and the pics just enforce your words.

Peace,

Joe

Very nice discription! and the pics just enforce your words.

Peace,

Joe

• Forum MVP

This is the only fest I take my boys to. We have been the last 3 years. We get to NLQP a few days early and the boys don't want to go home. The place and people are nothing short of amazing. Very safe good time.

I set up a place on the beach with a good view of the stage and the boys and I dance and enjoy everything.

The first time I took them they were 4 and 8 they are now 7 and 11. My oldest is more well known than me. I just can't say enough good things!

Hands down BEST FEST EVER!

Guest QuinnTheE

Hey all -

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies and great pics. I told my wife I was doing "research" on a potential family vacation. I'll show her this thread as the result of the research and we'll make some decisions. I'll come back if we have additional questions.

Archived