Petaluma

chuckvegas

• Forum MVP

6-4-1977 The Forum Inglewood, CA

Set 1: The Promised Land ; Tennessee Jed ; El Paso ; Peggy-O ; Jack Straw ; Friend Of The Devil ; Lazy Lightnin' > Supplication ; Candyman ; New Minglewood Blues ; Brown Eyed Women ; The Music Never Stopped

Set Two: Samson And Delilah ; Ship Of Fools ; Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Good Lovin' ; Terrapin Station > Playing In The Band > Franklin's Tower > Space > China Doll > Not Fade Away > Playing In The Band

Encore: One More Saturday Night

Filler: Brothers & Sisters

But you could have figured this much out for yourself...

Guest Lisacat

Well I probably won't be too thorough here but I will try my best to use complete sentences. I had a fantastic time last night. I thought it was a very solid performance- perhaps a little slow out the gate as far as energy goes but it picked up immediately after El Paso with a beautiful Peggy-O and took off from there. I think Stu sounded great- definitely needs to assert himself a little more, but I imagine that will happen over time. And of course, I am so grateful to be out here and dance and hang with the west coast family. Good good lovin energy as always.

Guest deliverance

Well I probably won't be too thorough here but I will try my best to use complete sentences. I had a fantastic time last night. I thought it was a very solid performance- perhaps a little slow out the gate as far as energy goes but it picked up immediately after El Paso with a beautiful Peggy-O and took off from there. I think Stu sounded great- definitely needs to assert himself a little more, but I imagine that will happen over time. And of course, I am so grateful to be out here and dance and hang with the west coast family. Good good lovin energy as always.

Well done ! love your sentencing . :wub:

fu#*ing fabulous !!! need i really say more?...kudos, y'all...

highlites for me: lazy > sup, b.e.wom., SHIP OF FOOLS !!!, terrapin>playin>franks>china doll...!!!

man, stu brings it....

gr8 music, gr8 dancing {&room to dance...didn't need but hand out 1 maybe 2 "parking on the dance floor tickets}, gr8 family....

love, peace, & GD....see y'all 2nite :-)

• Forum MVP

fu#*ing fabulous !!! need i really say more?...kudos, y'all...

highlites for me: lazy > sup, b.e.wom., SHIP OF FOOLS !!!, terrapin>playin>franks>china doll...!!!

man, stu brings it....

gr8 music, gr8 dancing {&room to dance...didn't need but hand out 1 maybe 2 "parking on the dance floor tickets}, gr8 family....

love, peace, & GD....see y'all 2nite :-)

We need to increase the fine for that! cheers.gif Some people, you just can't reach...

Guest Lisacat

didn't need but hand out 1 maybe 2 "parking on the dance floor tickets},

yea not too many problems with that...more of a problem with folks just not being able to groove with everyone else. I guess that is still better than standers!

We need to increase the fine for that! cheers.gif Some people, you just can't reach...

my new thing is ordering the 250 business cards from Vista Print for $1.99....here is what they say: {on the front, BIG letters} NO FU%*ING PARKING ON THE DANCE FLOOR !!! {little letters on the bottom} please turn over...{on the back} M O V E ! ! !

LOL...just hand 'em out instead of stepping on & smacking....& the real obnoxious folks get one licked and stuck to their forehead....

yea not too many problems with that...more of a problem with folks just not being able to groove with everyone else. I guess that is still better than standers!

didn't even have a problem with that last nite....really, so few complaints that even they ain't worth voicing...

• Forum MVP

...didn't need but hand out 1 maybe 2 "parking on the dance floor tickets},

Why would you do that? For the life of me I can't figure out why anyone would care about how other people act at a show if the are being considerate of the people around them and respectful...why anyone would be focused on other people at all? How anyone would give a care in the world that others around them are dancing?

I mean, the only thing I care about at a show is that people are standing up because I don't want to sit and I don't want to block anyone's view when I'm standing. I get the whole "the energy passes through the audience to the band" thing but are you guys serious?

Obviously people experience shows differently but for me, I am focusing on the music, you know, the group of people on stage that are making sounds where there were none. That is my only focus. I could care less how the person next to me or ten rows in front of me is getting off to the music. I happen to move but I don't just move for the sake of moving...the music usually moves me to move. Others start dancing the second before the music starts for the night. Others don't move at all and are listening intently to the subtle things that happen when you have great musicians creating music out of thin air. There is no right way or wrong way for gods sake. Let people get off on the music how they want and if that's standing as still as a statue, so be it. Who is anyone to tell them how to experience this stuff?

This has obviously nothing to do with talkers or people who are drunk and annoying others. This has to do with any of us taking it upon ourselves to be concerned with how some other human being is going to experience this live music of Dark Star Orchestra.

It's so absurd I can't hardly believe someone would give a "parking ticket" to someone who is enjoying the show just as much as the person dancing wildly but enjoying the show in their own way.

Sorry for the rant but seriously...give me a fucking break. I get why people would want a room to be going crazy to crazy good music but people go crazy in different ways. How can anyone not get that?

• Forum MVP
Let people get off on the music how they want and if that's standing as still as a statue, so be it.

Reminds me of shows where a front of board mic stand wasn't copacetic and someone was stuck holding mics on a t-bar. That goes to the next level: still as a statue and SORE. And to endure that, you had better be able to "get off on the music", albeit in your own way.

And to David's point of "to each his own", just as I'd call the spinners crazy for wanting to experience the show in the halls, they'd call me crazy for enduring this.

Guest deliverance

LOL...just hand 'em out instead of stepping on & smacking....& the real obnoxious folks get one licked and stuck to their forehead....

I'd be real careful with that shit , steppin on & smackin and the rest . you might end up one sorry asshole iffin you mess with the wrong folk , boy .

• Forum MVP

I don't mean to throw fuel on a fire, but simply to state a position regarding the dance floor wars.

The problem is that it is difficult to move with a pinch of grace when there are people standing like potted plants in the midst of what is obviously a gaggle of dervishes, especially when the non-dancers are amongst the drunk and disorderly. It isn't a reflection on how people choose to enjoy the show, so much as where and how they may obstinantly insist on manifesting that enjoyment. No one owns the turf, but consideration is a two-way street.

FBBY000Z.jpg

• Forum MVP

I don't mean to throw fuel on a fire, but simply to state a position regarding the dance floor wars.

The problem is that it is difficult to move with a pinch of grace when there are people standing like potted plants in the midst of what is obviously a gaggle of dervishes,

I have never found it difficult to move, albeit with not much grace, whatever the surrounding around me consist of-- and I could care less about what the people around me are doing. I've learned to dance and grown up on incredibly packed floors, be them the field of Buckey Lakes or the floor of MSG. I don't expect to have a lot of room to move because I choose to be close enough to the stage to suck up the energy. I'm not interested in the people around me, especially compared to my interest in the music the people in front of me are making. Sure, I like it when I'm surrounded by my friends (like you Chuck), the people I like to be around, but I care none if they are standing on their heads, as long as that is what they want to do.

It's not like I don't get your point here Chuck, I just don't happen to understand anyone getting bummed out at what the person in front of, behind, next to or whatever is doing, as long as they are doing it with consideration and respect for others.

This thing, be it with DSO or with Garcia and his many bands, has always been about the music for me and the way the person next to me is enjoying the music has no bearing on the music.

Not to me anyway.

• Forum MVP

Cavey dances on all fours!

Love,

Cavey :moon:

I'm proud to call you one of my friends too Cavey.

I love Lisacat also, and think it's awesome how she sucks up the energy of a room--how it adds to her enjoyment of the show. That is just not me though, and I don't think it's cool for anyone to give out 'parking tickets' or whatever to people who aren't dancing.

I also think it's inaccurate to equate people who are not dancing with people who are not having a great time.

I'm proud to call you one of my friends too Cavey.

I love Lisacat too and think it's awesome how she sucks up the energy of a room--how it adds to her enjoyment of the show. That is just not me though, and I don't think it's cool for anyone to give out 'parking tickets' or whatever to people who aren't dancing.

I also think it's inaccurate to equate people who are not dancing with people who are not having a great time.

I'm with you David 100%...I always wanted to be as close to Garcia as possible...within aura distance...the only dancing in those cramped quarters was my head and heart jumpin up and down...and parking tickets!?..one could easily take the other side of that and give out "speeding" tickets to those whirling dervishes...My Momma always said "to each his own"...

• Forum MVP

I feel I own about a chairs space worth of room when I'm on the floor and I'm usually dancing in that space , I'm not a spinner . I've noticed that the spinners for the most part understand they require more room and usually take to the sides or rear of the room , they know that the space they need to enjoy dancing is not available close to the stage . Every now and then I see a spinner dancing his or her way through the crowd and step up my dancing while they pass through , have some extra dance fun while they pass through and then go back to my way of dancing . The drunk swaying people are another story along with their loud singing , bad voice , wrong words and all . If I cant take it anymore I might move on , if they decide to draw me into their madness I usually respond very quickly in such a way that 9 times out of 10 they move on . If for a moment I was taking a breather and someone used their saliva to stick a business card to my forehead , best advice , sakada you should rethink that idea , it could cause you some trouble .

I'd be real careful with that shit , steppin on & smackin and the rest . you might end up one sorry asshole iffin you mess with the wrong folk , boy .

Yeah. gota agree with that. If someone stuck something on me while I was listenin' because they want my space.....Lookout! Dstone exactly right about the spinners. The real problem is the people that can't keep their mouffhs shut. Listen or go to the bar, outside if you want to socialize. As my good friend Anthony sayz "I'm busy!".

I'm always bouncing or moving in one way or another. One time though, at Newport Hall (think thats the name) in Columbus the wife and I got a table 10 feet away from dso. We were off to the side a bit and 2 feet higher than the floor. We had a table and two chairs and the way the venue is set up no one could get into our space. We had a clear line of site over the floor crowd. I don't think I stood once that whole night. I had a great time. It was a different scene or feeling but it was cool. It was a 74 show and I don't think I have ever soaked in the band more than that night.

Maybe I'm paranoid but I got this feeling that people near me on the floor thought I was an ass for just sitting there. I got over it and enjoyed the show, but this thread reminded me of that night.

Guest Lisacat

I love Lisacat also, and think it's awesome how she sucks up the energy of a room--how it adds to her enjoyment of the show.

Thanks David! Interesting conversation here....I could go on a long time about dynamics of an audience and energy exchange at a show. Obviously everyone is entitled to their own show- not all people dance- and us dancers have to respect that and I think most of us do. In my opinion, shows of this nature are not one-sided in that the band plays to us and we are there to receive entertainment. It is a community event and it takes everyone's participation to make the night a special one. People can participate in more ways than just dancing. I've been around standers who have incredible energy. I have also been around dancers whose energy I can't deal with. I think what Sakada was bitching about was the people who come into the spinners zone and stand there. Its a total energy block. Those of you on here who are standers or "railrats" would never do that- you are all there particiipating and aware. These "parkers" are oblivious and are a drain on the energy. I can't even understand why anyone would want to try to stand in the spin zone anyway. It could be quite a dangerous place to be if you aren't dancing with everyone else. And to David's comment about "sucking up the energy in the room"- yup- there's nothing better IMO than dancing and connecting with people on the dance floor- its sacred and intimate at the same time. You can almost say its sort of like sex- letting go, exposing your soul through your dancing, and being conscious of your fellow dancemates moves so that you can move with them and share the space, music and energy.

DSTone I'm with ya. You took the words right out of my mouth. But, everyone needs to be aware of their surroundings at a show. If a 7 ft guy becomes a statue and doesn't ebb and flow with the crowd one little bit it can be a bummer though. Likewise maybe I've got my eyes shut while slowly swaying side to side in the third row stage left mind wandering through the heavens above and every 30 seconds I get violenty slammed into then slimed with his sweat laced hair across my faceby a spinner really sucks. Is that really my fault? That would have never happened back in the day- Atleast not without an appology. I've been known to cut a mean rug but I tend to adapt my movements to the space available. I am dying to get some shirts made up though that read "talkers suck"on the front and on the back "Shut The f#%k up & dance"!!!

Archived