Furthur Changes

redeyedbert

So, no Jay or back up singers this summer. This may be a positive change if you want JK to sing more, I think. Hear me out.

Since Furthurs beginning, JK has been out of some of the harmonies. For no good reason I might add. In Oakland and the mini east coast run it was Jay as the 3rd harmony. Starting with the practice shows before New Years and ever since it has been the girls. This summer, no Jay, no girls. No more options for Phil and Bobby. JK is going to be singing Uncle Johns, Cumberland, Viola, Born Cross-Eyed, Rider, St. Stephen, The Wheel, and many more I can't think of right now. This is good if I'm right. These songs need him in the harmony. Its good without him, and great with.

Could be the start of a better Furthur. Well, better as far as I'm concerned. Only time will tell.

• Forum MVP

So, no Jay or back up singers this summer. This may be a positive change if you want JK to sing more, I think. Hear me out.

Since Furthurs beginning, JK has been out of some of the harmonies. For no good reason I might add. In Oakland and the mini east coast run it was Jay as the 3rd harmony. Starting with the practice shows before New Years and ever since it has been the girls. This summer, no Jay, no girls. No more options for Phil and Bobby. JK is going to be singing Uncle Johns, Cumberland, Viola, Born Cross-Eyed, Rider, St. Stephen, The Wheel, and many more I can't think of right now. This is good if I'm right. These songs need him in the harmony. Its good without him, and great with.

Could be the start of a better Furthur. Well, better as far as I'm concerned. Only time will tell.

Word, my bro. More Kadlecik = moe betta!!

• Forum MVP

Yes, I was thinking the same thing... Musically, that was the only thing that bothered me. Watching John just mouth the words during the Wheel chorus or UJB, It was like trying to bite my own teeth when this was happening.. so confusing. Hopefully this changes in the summer though, that would be so good for the music. As gr8ful pair said "More Kadlecik = Moe Betta"

I really like the idea of a smaller band with a bigger role for JK. Kind of the way the 1973 lineup could turn on a dime and really take the jams in different directions - Phil and Bobby have both been trying to do the same thing by giving hand singals or verbal cues to bloated lineups IMHO, and it'll work much better with a 5 piece. Even better if they let JK take the reins more.

Yeah, I'm dreaming about him taking the reins - but stranger things have happened.

Bobby is still gonna sing sugaree, black peter, ripple and host of others I wish he wouldn't. I've come to terms with that. Thats not going away anytime soon.

I doubt they let JK take the reins completely, but they have to let him sing back up now. On everything. Did Phil and Bob sing anything without a 3rd person (Jay or JK) or the backup singers? Nothing comes to mind. I can't imagine a whole tour of Uncle Johns, Cumberland, etc with just Bobby and Phil.

I think I'll put a disclaimer on this post and my first of this thread. I love Phil and Bobby. I'm not crazy about all of their decisions on who sings what. Leaving JK out of some harmonies has always bothered me more than Phil singing Franklins, or Bobby singing Death Don't. Its just not right. Its boring. He is right there!!!!! When JK is in the mix, like Till the Morning Comes (Denver) it's magic.

Uncle Johns (Chicago) and Cumberland (Denver) are examples of non JK back up tunes that were special from the last tour. I think they would have been even better with JK. I hope we find out this summer.

Jill has reviewed your idea and stated she will deceided you sings what tunes...if don't like it there is the door....she is taking input on set lists tho...Dr. V

Come on Jill. I poured my heart and soul into that post. Let JK do backups!!!!!! How bout an all JK 2nd set????? Since you are taking input on set lists.

Archived