04/30/2010 Belly Up, Solona Beach, Ca

redeyedbert

• Forum MVP

This, to me, is the essence of the Grateful Dead. THIS is the magic to me, not the vocals. Vocals are only something I care about after the fact, listening to a recording. If you haven't already done so download one of the Europe 72 shows with mattson---very very good.

The way I see it though it makes no difference who they pick, because each musicians has his own unique qualities to bring to the table. Mattson brings consistency, soaring deep jams(the best dark stars since the early 70s imho), and great chemistry with eaton and barraco. Stu brings vocal talents unlike any since jerry(once again imho) and certainly some lead guitar playing ability. There seems to be a pretty big bias towards stu on these boards, I think mostly because of his singing....I'm happy either way and sure that the band will make the decision that makes the most sense. As always, dsorocks.gif

The only thing I'm going to say as I've already stated my reasons regarding who I prefer as the lead for DSO is that it is a real breath of fresh air discussing DSO and not that other band ...

dsorocks.gif

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The comment about the other six players making a BIG difference is very true IMHO. No doubt that they make Jeff or Stu even better than normal. I had seen Jeff w/ Donna Jean and Stu w/ JGB and thought they were both good, but it didn't move me the way DSO did. Still haven't seen Stu w/ DSO but, I have enjoyed the few clips I have seen on you tube. Hope I get an opportunity. I have seen Jeff w/ DSO 4 times now, and the last two shows I saw in Charlotte were pretty damned spectacular.

I gotta agree w/ Electric Green though on the jams being a bit more important to me than the vocals. I thought Jeff, along w/ Rob, Rob, Lisa, and Kevin sounded just fine vocally. The band is gonna make this difficult decision, and they are going to do what they feel is best and that's good enough for me. My vote? Hell, keep 'um both :dsorocks: .

• Forum MVP

This, to me, is the essence of the Grateful Dead. THIS is the magic to me, not the vocals. Vocals are only something I care about after the fact, listening to a recording. If you haven't already done so download one of the Europe 72 shows with mattson---very very good.

+1 in a big way.I'll take the psychedelia over the vocals every time.....and its not like Mattson can't carry a tune.Download Eaton's mix from that Charlotte original setlist show and give it a listen.....its out of the stratosphere!!!!!

• Forum MVP

+1 in a big way.I'll take the psychedelia over the vocals every time.....and its not like Mattson can't carry a tune.Download Eaton's mix from that Charlotte original setlist show and give it a listen.....its out of the stratosphere!!!!!

Stu's vocals were beautiful and his guitar jams were out of this world during these last four show that I witnessed in person ... Stu Rocks !!!

cheers.gifdsorocks.gif

I'm on the Stu Bus ... wink.gif

• Forum MVP

Honestly. that's the essence of gd music, different things to different people. I go for the jerry ballads, harmonies and guitar work, just my thing, and I was blown away by Stu.

• Forum MVP

Honestly. that's the essence of gd music, different things to different people. I go for the jerry ballads, harmonies and guitar work, just my thing, and I was blown away by Stu.

+1

• Forum MVP

Along with the short bus.....frigin gaytard! rofl.gif

Thats not very nice .... farku.gifrofl.gif

I'm on the Stu bus .... you get on the Matteson bus , you wont have any problem finding it , its the bus with the extra wide doors ...

Why are we saying Stu can't tap into the psychedelia?

http://www.archive.org/details/schwag2009-08-01.matrix (See post-drums)

Listen to this 22 minute Dark Star (1st set opener):

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSchwag2010-01-01.The_Schwag_LIVE_at_Owsleys_20100101

..and a 20+ minute Eyes>Golden Road:

http://www.archive.org/details/TheSchwag2009-12-31.The_Schwag_LIVE_at_Owsleys_20091231

Stu's hardly a slouch on psychedelicized jams :rolleyes:...with that in mind I think Mattson has a very raw, delicious, early Jerry psychedelic sound (65-72). Really it's a matter of preference, early or later Jerry tones. I prefer the later (73-89) tones...always have

With Stu's vocals, paced within hair raising, electric, lysergic jams in between you're mopping your face up off the ground by the end of the show.

We're so fortunate to have such a high caliber selection of Jerry's Messengers out there...beautiful stuff

I'm on the Stu bus .... you get on the Matteson bus , you wont have any problem finding it , its the bus with the extra wide doors ...

Thats not very nice. Jeez. Unless there is some kind of private joke I'm missing here.

• Forum MVP

Totally not cool and I think I deserve an apology from Greg as I am not a mentally challenged homosexual ... although I though he looked mighty fine in those sexy shorts and golf shirt he was wearing today .... ;)

• Forum MVP

Unless there is some kind of private joke I'm missing here.

that's pretty much the case bro ....

I must agree...not cool

from the person who asked me 42 times where I was hangin in So Cal last week ... :rolleyes:

• Advisory Board

I think he is referring to the "extra wide doors" comment. Unless there is some other meaning the reader could easily think you are making an unkind reference to JM's physical appearance. I agree that is not very nice, but if you didn't mean that you could clarify yourself because otherwise that is harsh.

And we know you are on the Stu bus. No need to read between the lines on that point!

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

I think he is referring to the "extra wide doors" comment. Unless there is some other meaning the reader could easily think you are making an unkind reference to JM's physical appearance. I agree that is not very nice, but if you didn't mean that you could clarify yourself because otherwise that is harsh.

And we know you are on the Stu bus. No need to read between the lines on that point!

Dr. B B)

Your right Dr B ... no need to clarify , it was a childish comment and I should have practiced restraint on that one ... growing up a rather large person myself , I should have known better ... Sorry Jeff !!!:)

• Advisory Board

Your right Dr B ... no need to clarify , it was a childish comment and I should have practiced restraint on that one ... growing up a rather large person myself , I should have known better ... Sorry Jeff !!!:)

We all say things out of haste with no ill will intended!

I agree it is both brave and cool to own up when we do things that may have unintended consequences.

Thank you!

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

PUSS!!

(kidding)

no your not , ya fucker ... Greg called before to say he was sorry for calling me a gaytard ... I thought it was pretty fucken funny and told him don't worry , I've been called worse :rofl:

• Forum MVP

This thread should be a celebration of an amazing show by DSO. Instead, it has become a platform for slurs about peoples sexual orientation and fat jokes. Sometimes I wonder about you guys. :unsure:

Archived