Obama...

Teacher Matt

• Forum MVP

our fearless leader

1. Needs to go on TNT at halftime and do an interview with Marv Albert.... really... thanks for letting us know that it is really important for Lebron James to be a Chicago Bull

2. And then he is going to be the first President to not lay a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier this Memorial Day... hopefully he gives in to the backlash he is getting and pay respect to all those that have fallen so people like him can get elected President... maybe he can tear himself away from game 6 of the Lakers/Suns and make a cameo

So far I give obama two :icon13:

2. And then he is going to be the first President to not lay a wreath on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier this Memorial Day... hopefully he gives in to the backlash he is getting and pay respect to all those that have fallen so people like him can get elected President... maybe he can tear himself away from game 6 of the Lakers/Suns and make a cameo

This might possibly be one of the worst things i have heard about Obama. Being a young kid and student i have noticed no one really pays enough respect to the members of the armed forces as a whole. Dont get me wrong there are people who honor the service members who fight for our freedom and are overseas risking theirs lives so we can enjoy the parts of our lives that most people take for granted. As a student at a service academy and knowing people who have lost brothers and sisters in arms i cannot tell you how upseting this is to here of our LEADER's actions or should i say lack there of.

Support OUR Troops

• Forum MVP

Obama should continue tradition and appear at the tomb of the unknown soldier but a deep argumment could ensue about whether those serving in active war zones since WW2 actually fight for our freedoms here in the US. Maybe the freedom of other countries but at hyome it appears to have lately restricted freedom. not looking for argument. He shld b there on memorial day. The rest isn't worth arguing about.

Obama should continue tradition and appear at the tomb of the unknown soldier but a deep argumment could ensue about whether those serving in active war zones since WW2 actually fight for our freedoms here in the US. Maybe the freedom of other countries but at hyome it appears to have lately restricted freedom. not looking for argument. He shld b there on memorial day. The rest isn't worth arguing about.

The soldiers who served in WWII, were the only reason we can still all enjoy the many freedoms we have today!

The many soldiers who followed them into battle @ a president's decision are hero's non the less(The answered the call to protect our freedoms-even when the enemy didn't seem to be threatening our liberties in America).....HERO'S they all are!

Wishing a great Memorial Day Holiday to all- Buy a poppy from a vet & tell him Thanks for serving our Country!

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

Purely in the interest of setting the record straight, and with malice towrd none and charity for all, I will note that Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush had representatives lay wreaths at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. In 1983, President Reagan had Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Thayer represent him at the ceremony. On Memorial Day in 1992, Vice President Dan Quayle laid a wreath at the tomb while Bush spoke to American Legion members in Kennebunkport, Maine, and played golf.

My personal opinion is that no president should miss personally laying the wreath; I believe that it is as close to a sacred duty for the Commander in Chief as can be.

• Advisory Board

My personal opinion is that no president should miss personally laying the wreath; I believe that it is as close to a sacred duty for the Commander in Chief as can be.

Agreed!

Is it fact that Obama will not be doing so? What will he be doing instead? Will he have someone else doing it in his place?

While it is purely ceremonial, our soldiers deserve this acknowledgement from the President, and much more.

Dr. B

• Forum MVP

Purely in the interest of setting the record straight, and with malice towrd none and charity for all, I will note that Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush had representatives lay wreaths at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. In 1983, President Reagan had Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Thayer represent him at the ceremony. On Memorial Day in 1992, Vice President Dan Quayle laid a wreath at the tomb while Bush spoke to American Legion members in Kennebunkport, Maine, and played golf.

Thanks for getting all of the facts out there, Chuck.

A little fact-checking and perspective go a long way. :icon14:

• Forum MVP

Obama be spending part of the holiday visiting the oil spill in the Gulf Coast, and then the rest of the day vacationing with his family in Chicago. On Monday, Obama is scheduled to participate in a Memorial Day ceremony at Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery in Elwood, Ill. In his absence, Vice President Joe Biden will participate in the customary wreath-laying ceremony at the Tomb.

It is all about priorities.

Having served our country in a combat zone in the Infantry in the desert in '91 I can say I am less concerned about Obama's hardly-surprising lack of interest in longstanding ceremonial reverence for dead soldiers than I am about his blithe disregard for the live ones he has committed to a trenchant guerrilla war in a desolate medieval God-forsaken place for which every previous empire drawn in has only left behind 100's or 1000's more dead soldiers.

George HW Bush was a decorated Pacific Theater combat pilot in WWII. I don't think anyone had cause to question his decision about not attending the ceremony.

Reagan was finishing the Cold War and also served in the military, irrespective of the homefront nature.

Obama never served and yet has embraced two middle eastern ground wars. He needs to show a lot more goddamn respect all around if you ask me.

Omaba's continued follies and forays as "First Fan", commenting on this sport or that player, throwing out the first pitch like a freakin little girl or yucking it up with Biden courtside or whatever, is as nauseatingly contrived and self-serving as it is annoying distraction from a shit ton of real priorities from which he hardly deserves a second of respite or break. Only his hardcore cult follower type fanbois give a shit what he thinks about anything related to sports.

Lastly, ditto what rickE said about fighting for "freedom" while liberty is destroyed at home! Obama continues the most despicable war of all against our freedoms: the "Drug War", notwithstanding his half-baked nod to federalism for state medical marijuana clinics (some of which were nonetheless raided or shutdown even after the supposed moratorium).

Basically, for those who value peace through strength (not war) and freedom through liberty rather than comfy collectivism, Obama gets two thumbs down and two of the other fingers flying at attention.

Obama is Bush III at best, with Bush II being one of our worst.

Thanks for listening. Rant over.

• Forum MVP

The soldiers who served in WWII, were the only reason we can still all enjoy the many freedoms we have today!

The many soldiers who followed them into battle @ a president's decision are hero's non the less(The answered the call to protect our freedoms-even when the enemy didn't seem to be threatening our liberties in America).....HERO'S they all are!

Wishing a great Memorial Day Holiday to all- Buy a poppy from a vet & tell him Thanks for serving our Country!

Peace,

Rob

Agreed. Anyone that puts themselves in danger for the sake of others must be considered a hero. Unfortunately, that also applies to Iraqi soldiers or combatants (granted, the deception of terrorism poses a problem in my mind) being heros in the eyes of others. All those who necessarily or unnecessarily give their lives for their country, their people, their faith, or their family must be considered heroes. However, the politicians that send them there and fight wars from Capitol Hill or the Pentagon are certainly not heroes and for the most part, out of touch with the people of America, freedom, and how to promote it.

Once again, I certainly think Obama should be there. If only he had lived up to half the promise, we would end these two wars. Too bad unemployment is too high to afford the spike from veterans without a job when they get home.

Archived