Blair Jackson Interview With Jk On Dead.net

SeanAY

Hey, no hard feelings. Just thought I would inject a little more conversation into the day after I thoroughly made an ass of myself earlier.

You too have a good summer, hope you make it to some good shows as well. Perhaps our paths will cross and we can smooth things over with a beer or somesuch.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

Hey, no hard feelings. Just thought I would inject a little more conversation into the day after I thoroughly made an ass of myself earlier.

You too have a good summer, hope you make it to some good shows as well. Perhaps our paths will cross and we can smooth things over with a beer or somesuch.

:cheers:

Excellent and insightful interview. It was very interesting hearing John's musical history and how he ended up where he is. I was not previously familar with his musical path. There were a few questions not asked that I would have been interested to hear. One might have been how John feels about not singing many of the Garcia songs he is now so used to doing the vocals on? However, this interview answers one issue that some have questioned (myself included) about whether John is really completely satisfied with his new job. Sounds like he most definitely is.

I did get a chuckle out of the question that Phil and Bob have asked JK:

• Forum VIP

I thought the article was well written about Jk and I am sure there are many fans who want to know more about him, for those of us who have known him for a while it was not much insight... I think Blair"s comments about DSO do come from the Phil camp which is not in favor of DSO and he is careful not to throw us any props... the true old crew members and loyal fans who deeply love the music and have no agenda know the vaule of DSO spreading high quality GD music day in and day out across the country... and I Thank them for that...,,JK is adding something to Furthur and I hope everyone enjoys their trip down that path... I love what DSO does its true GD, not a spin off...looking forward to some shows this summer with Jeff who is just taking the band to a new level....see you around the playground... Dr. V

:blink::wacko::rolleyes: !!!!!

Did Chuck just say he should get out more ????? I am more blown away by that comment that anything else I've read here ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: !!

Nothing but LOVE kid ! As far as Blair feeling cold . He is an amazing dead head . He has seen Jerry and co up close and personal for a very long time . You

really can't fault him for that reaction ! You gotta know though , when he saw US getting it at that show, HE WAS JEALOUS ! All love guys !

Anth

• Forum MVP

This comment is to be taken with a grain of salt as it can no longer be documented, but I distinctly remember (as well as this old brain can) reading a conversation in the Further Festival thread on the Philzone in which an audience member claimed to hear JK being told that he should be singing the Jerry songs, to which he replied "I just love it when those guys sing those songs". That comment is no longer there (edited?). And as much as I strongly disagree with the statement, in light of what we've been seeing and hearing, it wouldn't surprise me if that's the way JK really feels.

Some friends and myself ran into JK on HOLLYWOOD Blvd the last time DSO played the Henry Fonda Theater , and this was the month after the Oakland Furthur shows ... JK remembered me from the small acoustic gig that he , Topher and Katy did in Takoma Park MD about 2-3 months prior , me and Rob ( subcooler) helped unload the gear from his car , so we were essentially his roadies for the afternoon ... I loved every minute of it as it was a very personal setting and we had a very nice conversation with JK and during the conversation we even talked about the Dead tour with Warren and thought he should have been asked ... I asked if he was considered for that tour and he said no , but he would have done if asked to ... this was all talked about and in front of me , Rob and Rob's daughter nothing was said in confidence , it was an open conversation ... OK back to running in to JK on HOLLYWOOD BL , I told him it was great seeing him up on stage with Bob and Phil and the band sounds great but we were hoping for him to sing more if not all of the Jerry songs and his reply was that it's good to do it this way ... the conversation was short because JK was in a hurry to get a bite to eat before showtime and he asked what was good place to eat around here , knowing HOLLYWOOD BL pretty good we gave him some ideas , said we'd see him at the show and parted ways ... my take on the situation is that he loves doing what he's doing and he's happy ... you have to admit that it's one hell of a stepping stone for a musician ... he is in a good place , he knows his place and he's playing his cards the right way ... I think he also has a good wife in his corner that would make him and his lawyer read all future contracts before signing and this will become more an more important as time goes on , especially if the bands continues to build fan base and sell out shows because of what JK's talent brings to the table ....

Part of what may make a given DSO less than stellar to me may be more the setlist than the playing itself. For example , some of the 90s setlists just don't do it for me, and I know this opinion is shared by many. However, I'm pretty sure if you asked any DSO bandmember, they would honestly tell you after a show that it just wasn't happening that night on stage and they simply were not playing their best. Every musician has some nights better than others. That's what makes it interesting--you just might hit that magic show!! Sadly, many concerts these days with other bands have the same damn setlist night-after-night, and it doesn't matter what show you see. Perhaps Blair Jackson caught one of the less than stellar nights I know I have been completely blown away by DSO on some evenings in the same way I was back in the 70s at Winterland listening to a raging GD show. I never thought this was possible after the early 90s. I still remember clearly the last time I saw DSO at the Fillmore:

Show: 1723

Kudoz!!!!

Really well done interview....

We really like the path JK has chosen...He seems to be more happy than we've ever seen him...

Thought he was a guitar monster before...Now he's clearly bringin' it to a height he's never been at!

GO JK GO!

Thought he was a guitar monster before...Now he's clearly bringin' it to a height he's never been at!

Sorry, but having seen Further now 10 times (half of which were Marin County Rehearsals) I would respecfully disagree. JK has played some great guitar with Furthur, but the most sublime playing of his I have witnessed have been at DSO shows. Of course, DSO has also been a much better vehicle for John's singing, since we don't have to suffer through travesties like Bobby singing Standing on the Moon. Not trashing Furthur--they are a also a great band and I plan to continue seeing them when they are in the bay area. However DSO consistantly delivers in a way that Furthur does not much of the time. Bobby and Phil just don't seem to inspire him the same way he often was with DSO. I would actually say that the best chemistry in Furthur is between JK and Jeff Chimenti. Just calling it as I see it. Your opinion is just as valid, just not the same as mine.

Neutrino, it's really interesting you say that...I personally always thought that in the short time (3 years) I've been seeing DSO, the best chemistry on stage was between JK and Rob Barraco. Especially on some of those wild jams like "Weather Report Suite"...quite the mind-meld going on. Of course, the ENTIRE BAND is/was locked into each other in ways I very rarely see other bands connect. And I agree with the idea that JK jells best with Chimenti (who is EXCELLENT); for whatever reason, JK and keyboardists seem to go well together.

I'm confident JK and the rest of Furthur will be able to jell more effectively as time goes on; remember, JK just left a group of folks he played with for 12 years for a group of people with different styles, as well as one that played its "own" way for years! I will say this; currently in Furthur, JK appears more in flashes than that sustained burst he could carry for hours with DSO.

Sorry, but having seen Further now 10 times (half of which were Marin County Rehearsals) I would respecfully disagree. JK has played some great guitar with Furthur, but the most sublime playing of his I have witnessed have been at DSO shows. Of course, DSO has also been a much better vehicle for John's singing, since we don't have to suffer through travesties like Bobby singing Standing on the Moon. Not trashing Furthur--they are a also a great band and I plan to continue seeing them when they are in the bay area. However DSO consistantly delivers in a way that Furthur does not much of the time. Bobby and Phil just don't seem to inspire him the same way he often was with DSO. I would actually say that the best chemistry in Furthur is between JK and Jeff Chimenti. Just calling it as I see it. Your opinion is just as valid, just not the same as mine.

I've seen Furthur 17 times including 3 runs on the West Coast ( First 3 Fox Oakland, NYE run, Furthur Fest)...

My suggestion is to see more than 5 shows that are NOT rehearsals... Although I heard the rehearsal shows were good...They're exactly that...Rehearsals...

I don't think they could possibly get off as hard as they could with a much larger audience...with the latter bringing a better chance of the "X" factor and let me tell you it has!

While I respect your opinion...I respectfully disagree...

Guest doodah man

I saw one show and that was pleanty for me. Left me with a cold feeling. Now I'm Truckin' Off To D.S.O.where the weather suits my clothes.

I've seen Furthur 17 times including 3 runs on the West Coast ( First 3 Fox Oakland, NYE run, Furthur Fest)...

My suggestion is to see more than 5 shows that are NOT rehearsals... Although I heard the rehearsal shows were good...They're exactly that...Rehearsals...

I don't think they could possibly get off as hard as they could with a much larger audience...with the latter bringing a better chance of the "X" factor and let me tell you it has!

While I respect your opinion...I respectfully disagree...

We actually have a fair amount of overlap in shows. The 5 non-rehearsal shows I saw were nights 1 and 3 in Oakland, the NYE run, and Phil's birthday. I recounted and realized I saw 6 rehearsal shows, so my total is 11. I believe you are not giving the rehearsal shows the credit they deserve. The final night in the Palm Ballroom in San Rafael is quite possibly the best overall performance I have seen from Furthur. I would not describe that night as a "rehearsal" but as a completely mindblowing single-set show. I think I'm a pretty critical reviewer, and I stated on this forum that at the first Palm show I was actually bored and looking at my watch near the end. It just didn't have that "X-factor" that you mention. Two nights later, the X-factor was kicking the shit out of that small room!! The first time JK did Dew with Furthur was in Mill Valley, and that song was every bit as good as ANYTHING I saw in much larger Oakland or the Bill Graham Civic. JK's guitar work and singing brought a tear to my eye, and I was most certainly not alone. If Furthur does any more of these small shows in Marin, I hope you have the opportunity to attend.

All this said, the original point I was responding to was your opinion that JK is now playing beyond what he did with DSO. I'll still have to contend that as good as JK has been on some nights with Furthur, I have yet to see him match some of the shows I have had the pleasure to witness with DSO. I hope he does exceed anything I have previously seen, but it hasn't happened for me yet. The last time I saw JK on stage with DSO was at one of the Fillmore shows--a few weeks after the Oakland Further debut. JK (and the rest of DSO) absolutely blew my mind in a way that Furthur has yet to do. JMO.

• Forum MVP

I don't know how many times of seen Furthur or DSO. I wonder how many shows it needs to be to make one's response valid. JK sounds great with Furthur and I am not sure that the extended periods of greatness experienced with DSO are to be credited to JK solely, what DSO does on stage in my opinion certainly appears to be a group effort. That being said, I think JK sounded best, more comfortable, most loose, and most explosive playing with DSO. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. I think DSO is probably a better place for a lead guitar player to shine due to the fact that the lead is playing and leading all the time with the rest of the band pushing, pulling, and moving right along. In Furthur, sometimes Bobby is leading, sometimes JK is leading, and Phil is leading all the time. These are just my opinion and my experiences. I am not a musician and really have no way to prove what I say other than my own experience. I think some people that feel JK is excelling beyond his DSO days probably didn't go see DSO all that much or maybe caught DSO on one of those leave you cold off nights (what a joke). Or maybe that is really how they experienced the music and they truly feel that way, but lets be serious, Furhur is a better, more glorified version of Phil and Friends and JK is the new friend on guitar. Furthur is a great band and maybe, at some point down the line, JK will really get comfortable and Phil/Bobby will let him take over and we will get a real mind meltdown explosion - possibly like Driggs or one of several tremendous nights with DSO. For now, lets enjoy the music. See you guys in Rochester and for those boycotting Furthur, I hope to see you guys at the Ledges.

I know I am opinionated. I guess its like Herdy said. Say what I mean....

I don't know how many times of seen Furthur or DSO. I wonder how many shows it needs to be to make one's response valid.*****edited***** but lets be serious, Furhur is a better, more glorified version of Phil and Friends and JK is the new friend on guitar. Furthur is a great band and maybe, at some point down the line, JK will really get comfortable and Phil/Bobby will let him take over and we will get a real mind meltdown explosion - possibly like Driggs or one of several tremendous nights with DSO. For now, lets enjoy the music. See you guys in Rochester and for those boycotting Furthur, I hope to see you guys at the Ledges.

Rick, while I agree with your entire post I edited a bit of it for effect!

Very well said about The new Phil & Friends( aka: Furthur) .While I've seen them shine on stage ,it has yet to be for an entire show (IMHO).That prevents me from using the phrase"Great Band"

See Ya' on the Road,

Rob

I don't know how many times of seen Furthur or DSO. I wonder how many shows it needs to be to make one's response valid. JK sounds great with Furthur and I am not sure that the extended periods of greatness experienced with DSO are to be credited to JK solely, what DSO does on stage in my opinion certainly appears to be a group effort. That being said, I think JK sounded best, more comfortable, most loose, and most explosive playing with DSO. Just my opinion. I could be wrong. I think DSO is probably a better place for a lead guitar player to shine due to the fact that the lead is playing and leading all the time with the rest of the band pushing, pulling, and moving right along. In Furthur, sometimes Bobby is leading, sometimes JK is leading, and Phil is leading all the time. These are just my opinion and my experiences. I am not a musician and really have no way to prove what I say other than my own experience. I think some people that feel JK is excelling beyond his DSO days probably didn't go see DSO all that much or maybe caught DSO on one of those leave you cold off nights (what a joke). Or maybe that is really how they experienced the music and they truly feel that way, but lets be serious, Furhur is a better, more glorified version of Phil and Friends and JK is the new friend on guitar. Furthur is a great band and maybe, at some point down the line, JK will really get comfortable and Phil/Bobby will let him take over and we will get a real mind meltdown explosion - possibly like Driggs or one of several tremendous nights with DSO. For now, lets enjoy the music. See you guys in Rochester and for those boycotting Furthur, I hope to see you guys at the Ledges.

That pretty much agrees with my perception. I would add that Furthur seems best when Phil let's go and just lets the music play the band. One thing I noticed at the third rehearsal show in San Rafael (which kicked ass) was that Phil spent most of the evening standing back, playing his bass, and just looking blissed all evening at the sound being created on this very special evening. He only approached his microphone a couple of times to vert briefly speak to the other bands members through their earpieces. There have been other less impressive shows when it seems that Phil is talking to the band throughout the night. One might counter this and say that Phil speaks more to the band only when it is not firing on all cylinders, and I'm mixing up cause and effect. I just don't get that impression, but I realize I can't really prove it either way.

I I think some people that feel JK is excelling beyond his DSO days probably didn't go see DSO all that much or maybe caught DSO on one of those leave you cold off nights (what a joke). Or maybe that is really how they experienced the music and they truly feel that way, but lets be serious, Furhur is a better, more glorified version of Phil and Friends and JK is the new friend on guitar. Furthur is a great band and maybe, at some point down the line, JK will really get comfortable and Phil/Bobby will let him take over and we will get a real mind meltdown explosion - possibly like Driggs or one of several tremendous nights with DSO. For now, lets enjoy the music. See you guys in Rochester and for those boycotting Furthur, I hope to see you guys at the Ledges.

say what you mean for sure.....I refuse to accept that a band as grateful as DSO would have fans that would boycott the Furthur progressions of the Grateful Dead...

• Forum MVP

say what you mean for sure.....I refuse to accept that a band as grateful as DSO would have fans that would boycott the Furthur progressions of the Grateful Dead...

I could be the one Tye that Rick is talking about ,&yes Rick I will see you at the ledges .but my reasons for not going to see Further need not be posted becouse it would only cause more negativity and that is not needed but who ever is going out on the tour enjoy yourselves & be safe.

Archived