Jerry Day At The Giants

FunkyBass13

• Forum MVP

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/23326/Jerry-Garcia-Tribute-at-ATandT-Park

AT&T Park and the SF Giants are having Jerry Garcia Day on Agust 9th. Bobby will be singing the National Anthem and during the 7th Inning Stretch, Mickey will be leading the crowd through Take Me Out to the Ballgame on kazoos(apparently the Guiness Record is 7000 people playing the same song on a kazoo at the same time and Mickey wants to break the record).

I do love, which someone pointed out in the comments, that they are playing the Cubs on 8/9. So they bring in the team from Chicago(last place the GD played) to celebrate with the team from SF(where it all began). Very cool.

Time for a 3rd Mortgage Mr. Stone????

• Forum MVP

Time for a 3rd Mortgage Mr. Stone????

You should know by now that I see every game at AT&T (not a terrible park...even compared the Wrigley), when the Cubs are in town to play the Giants.

I get tickets the day the schedule is announced. The fact that Jerry day falls on one of those games and that A LOT of my SF friends will be in the park that day, just makes it sweeter.

The fact that the Giants have a better team than us this year, does not.

• Forum MVP

You should know by now that I see every game at AT&T (not a terrible park...even compared the Wrigley), when the Cubs are in town to play the Giants.

I get tickets the day the schedule is announced. The fact that Jerry day falls on one of those games and that A LOT of my SF friends will be in the park that day, just makes it sweeter.

The fact that the Giants have a better team than us this year, does not.

stone, your all over today???? what gives?

My post doc fellowship ended and I have some free time on my hands!

But if I don't see a post from Eaton in the not too distant future, free time or not...

No Dstone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If Rob goes you can't go. Your posts are so deep. So educational. I'm getting upset. Rob and Dstone, we need you. sigh.

• Forum MVP

My post doc fellowship ended and I have some free time on my hands!

But if I don't see a post from Eaton in the not too distant future, free time or not...

I also hope Eaton decides to recant his statement about leaving and continues to be an active member of our online community. I started seeing DSO towards the end of the Scott's time with the band and never really got a chance to know him. Eaton was the first member of DSO that I had conversations about the Dead with and spent time with outside of the concert venue. He is very knowledgeable about the Grateful Dead and his opinion has always been highly valued by me. That being said, please don't hitch your horse to his wagon. There are not many members of this forum whose posts I enjoy as much yours David and I would be sad to see you go. If too many people decide to leave, this forum will certainly lose its value as being the premier place to have honest, heartfelt, and open discussions about all things GD and life in general.

• Forum MVP

I'm gonna go to this game, but only because I want the bobble head! David, where are your seats?

I guess Bobby gets to do the anthem solo this time...

Sec 107 row G seat 8 & 9

But I am going to be going all over that park that day hanging with various crews of peeps.

Definitely call or text me where you guys will be.

Guest jazz-man

Eaton said he might leave this forum? That'd be a very dark and sad day for me. He has been terrific on here and maybe some of the grief he absorbed got to be much. I hope he sticks around.

I'm gonna go to this game, but only because I want the bobble head! David, where are your seats?

I guess Bobby gets to do the anthem solo this time...

I was traveling in Tahiti and French Polynesia when this was announced--yeah life can be very tough :lol: Some friends bought up a number of tickets, so I'll be going. I'm just wondering if we will get treated to a Shatner anthem, or if it will be done old school? :D

Guest Ammagamalin Crew

Sec 107 row G seat 8 & 9

But I am going to be going all over that park that day hanging with various crews of peeps.

Definitely call or text me where you guys will be.

Seats 8 and 9 like August 9th? Row G like Grateful or Garcia? Now what does the Sec 107 have to do with this cosmic scheme?

• Forum MVP

Neil was good...very different than any of the other solo show I've seen him do, in that he played many songs electric.

me and prescott saw him in dallas a month ago or so.. it was so incredibly amazing.. but the electric tunes were too 1-dimensional without a full band let alone a lead guitarist.. the dallas show was in the symphony hall where DSO (Dallas symph orch) plays, and there was a GIANT 2-3 story pipe organ along the back wall of the stage. neil played after the gold rush on it, (playing the giant base pipes for the low bass), it was fuckng incredible!!

see Neil Young live. check.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Does anyone know which GD band they got to play for this game (as well as the pre-game concert)?

Nope. I wonder how much one will be able to hear of the exclusively expensive "triples alley" set by loitering somewhere nearby.

Guest jazz-man

Remember when The Dead toured a couple of years ago and there was some company that was doing 'VIP" sorta stuff like "Loose Lucy's Lot Bar" or some horseshit like that. The music of the GD is supposed to bring us together, not carve us apart into haves and have nots. Insulting and very uncool. The whole idea of wringing every dollar out of Deadheads is repulsive to me.

there's a ton of links on facebook.

don't know how to post them here.

or try youtube

it was bobby, phil and someone i don't know singing the national anthem.

(with high five's afterward that looked like patty cakes. lol)

then billy, mickey and bill walton did the kazoo "take me out tot he ballgame"

or try youtube

or try youtube

The third singer was Jeff Pehrson, who is now singing backup with Furthur (along with Sunshine Becker). I was a bit leary that they would pull this off, as it is a very difficult song to sing. I was only hoping it wasn't going to be cringe worthy. Well, I was completely wrong, as they did a really great job on it!! I suspect they practiced this very seriously for days. I consider the really wonderful version done by Jerry, Bobby, and Vince in the 90s to be better, but last night was a very satisfying thing to watch and hear.

• Forum MVP

Awesome night at the ballpark! Quality video of 1990 China Cat and some Grateful Dead movie shots on the big scoreboard screen. Much pot smoke wafting through the air. A bit surreal actually. Also some good commentary from Bill Walton.

And a Giants win in 11 innings, after coming from behind twice? Wow.

Archived