Comes A Time

Dancin' Fool

okay let me preface this with the statement that i am a self-proclaimed comes a time aficionado.. i have ranted about this song on here before, as it is my favorite grateful dead/jerry song of all time. it is my most spiritual song of the whole catalog.

that 76 shrine aud CaT is okay.. but its not even close to the best. the vocals are pretty strong and the segue is cool, but there's better guitar work out there..

the best comes a time: 5-21-77 lakeland, FL... (this show is on dicks picks 29, so its not on the archive). listen to jerry's vocal.. fucking sublime.. and the first guitar solo-- HOLY SHIT BALLS! i mean this jerry solo may actually make you cry (or high, one of the 2 for sure).

and my favorite post-keith comes a time is: 4-4-87. http://www.archive.o...21.sbeok.flac16 check out the hand jive that follows!

happy listening! caution: listener may experience extreme happiness and euphoria

OK ....so 5-21-77 has not been part of my collection...DL'd today and that Comes a Time is indeed awesome...right at the same level as 5-9 for me...it's a draw...just happy to have another face melting version...thx!

Guest Charles from Oregon

85 they played quite a few times and loved every one of them, but the Ventura one stands out for me, i think

• Advisory Board

7-02-10 grateful fest,At that moment it was being performed it sounded & felt like the best ever.

Let's just brag about it for those of us who couldn't be there.....

showoff... :P

• Forum MVP

This song made me a Dead Head.

It may not be regarded as the best but my favorite is 6-24-85 Cincinnati.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. The "best" doesn't have to be your favorite. The one mentioned above is special to me because it was my first, but I still like 5-9-77 the best.

Yesterday while at the gym I searched my i-pod for all of the versions of Comes A Time that I have, and to my surprise I actually did hear the band play it on 10/9/94. Unfortunately I was only 17 at the time and didnt even know the song since I was only familiar with the more well known Dead songs as a young Dead Head.The version that I heard live was sadly a shadow of what it was in the 70's,played pretty fast and only about 6 minutes long.

• Forum MVP

Yesterday while at the gym I searched my i-pod for all of the versions of Comes A Time that I have, and to my surprise I actually did hear the band play it on 10/9/94. Unfortunately I was only 17 at the time and didnt even know the song since I was only familiar with the more well known Dead songs as a young Dead Head.The version that I heard live was sadly a shadow of what it was in the 70's,played pretty fast and only about 6 minutes long.

I heard a cassette version many years back of that (the only) '94 version and thought there was a speed problem with the recording. Maybe not, eh?!?

Archived