Crystal Bay, Nv

Tea

• Forum MVP

Love me some 1972.

Setlist: 8/12/72 - Sacramento Memorial Auditorium, Sacramento CA

Set One:

The Promised Land ; Sugaree ; Me And My Uncle ; Bird Song ; Black Throated Wind ; Deal ; El Paso ; Tennessee Jed ; Playing In The Band ; Big Railroad Blues ; Cumberland Blues ; Stella Blue ; Jack Straw ; Casey Jones

Set Two:

Greatest Story Ever Told ; Ramble On Rose ; Beat It On Down The Line ; He's Gone > Drums > The Other One > Black Peter > The Other One ; Truckin' ; Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo > Sugar Magnolia ; One More Saturday Night

Filler: Scarlet Begonias

The he's gone>Other One>black Pete>Other One sequence had to be good. Looking for a review.....

Guest Lisacat

Interesting. The Dead played Reno in '74 and '82.

I'd say these are possibly the reasons those shows weren't chosen-

74- last time band played this venue, they did 74 show. Also that particular show was 3 sets.

82- small stage, no room for big drums.

• Forum MVP

74- last time band played this venue, they did 74 show. Also that particular show was 3 sets.

3 set show would've been a real treat. We're you in attendance? How was the 72?

Guest Lisacat

3 set show would've been a real treat. We're you in attendance? How was the 72?

nope couldn't make it.... heard from my sources it was a great show....

• Forum MVP

Right you are!!!! Time constraints on a three set show and no way to put two drummers for an 80's show on that stage. The other show was at Kings Beach-again a two drummer show.

Guest Stromatolite

"The other show was at Kings Beach-again a two drummer show."

Ah, the logistics the band has to work with! My money was on the glorious 1982 Alpine show. The mountain pass was totally blocked by bikers and traffic was at a standstill. One of my favorite "Loser" of all time. My tape is finally worn out.

But...how was the show?? Any reviews?

• Forum MVP

Ah, the logistics the band has to work with! My money was on the glorious 1982 Alpine show. The mountain pass was totally blocked by bikers and traffic was at a standstill. One of my favorite "Loser" of all time. My tape is finally worn out.

There were two of them. The night before your glorious Alpine show was an official relase, if you can believe it (Alpine 8/7/82).

It was the more famous of the two pack cause of the China>Rider and the Dew but I'll take the Fire on the Mountain the night after no question. I think that is my favorite version of that song from that decade...which is saying quite an awful lot.

And the Loser ain't bad either...as you say.

Miss seeing them at that place.

• Forum MVP

actually both first sets of 8/7 and 8/8/82 are monsters beyond just the Loser -- truly some of my favorite first sets this side of '78, the Rooster and Samson smoke hard

and the Sat Night - oh boy!

Love when you guys throw out shows, go right to my hard drive, upload on my ipod and then use it as running music for the next few weeks.

• Forum MVP

actually both first sets of 8/7 and 8/8/82 are monsters beyond just the Loser -- truly some of my favorite first sets this side of '78, the Rooster and Samson smoke hard

and the Sat Night - oh boy!

And this is from a guy who loves talking shit about the Music>Sugaree>Music opener!

Who is in that pic Paul? Looks kind of like Kristen Stewart, who was in the movie Adventureland (I really liked both her and the movie).

• Forum MVP

Boreal Ridge '85 would have been an interesting pick. Biggest fiasco I ever experienced with the Dead. My memories are mostly traffic jams, blowing dust, and Weir frequently kicking his amp. Oh well--Reno was fun later on in the evening.

The dust bowl ... 25 year old pics , took em myself ...

156655_180788585265967_100000044806682_672929_7040873_n.jpg

156655_180788588599300_100000044806682_672930_2773334_n.jpg

156655_180788591932633_100000044806682_672931_7841724_n.jpg

156655_180788578599301_100000044806682_672928_5854485_n.jpg

Boreal Ridge Ski Resort, Donner's Summit, CA (8/24/85)

Alabama Getaway

Greatest Story Ever Told

West L.A. Fadeaway

New Minglewood Blues

Friend of the Devil

Hell in a Bucket

Don't Ease Me In

Feel Like a Stranger

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

He's Gone

drums

Truckin'

Black Peter

Around and Around

Turn on Your Love Light

Day Tripper

• Forum MVP

Boreal Ridge '85 would have been an interesting pick. Biggest fiasco I ever experienced with the Dead. My memories are mostly traffic jams, blowing dust, and Weir frequently kicking his amp. Oh well--Reno was fun later on in the evening.

Not one of the good nights for the good ol' GD.

Was funny when Weir screamed "Wait a minute" to begin a Lovelight rap towards the end of the song and the whole band purposefully and eagerly ignored him and quickly ended the set.

A fairly disastrous music display by our heroes. I've heard people make the argument that the Day Tripper encore was played SO badly, it was no wonder why they never tried to play it again.

Nice pics Mike!

Thanks for posting the pics of Boreal! It looks just as, er..... "interesting" as I remember it. We were up the ski hill a ways, not down close to the stage as you clearly were. The sound was as bad as I can recall any show I had ever attended. Was definitely one of those Dreadful Grate shows. On the other hand, it was certainly memorable in its own unique way. The biggest bummer was that I had brought along a friend after finally convincing her that she really needed to give these guys a chance. She was underwhelmed with the Grateful Dead, to say the least. :unsure:

• Forum MVP

Based on that last photo, it looks as if the stage was at the top of the hill and the crowd sloped downward from there. Is that possible? Or is it just hard to get one's bearings based on the picture?

The stage was at the bottom in front of the lodge or some building as I remember ... it's probably the way I was holding the camera ... that's the sound stage in that pic with the ski lifts running along the right side up the hill ...

• Forum MVP

Not one of the good nights for the good ol' GD.

Was funny when Weir screamed "Wait a minute" to begin a Lovelight rap towards the end of the song and the whole band purposefully and eagerly ignored him and quickly ended the set.

A fairly disastrous music display by our heroes. I've heard people make the argument that the Day Tripper encore was played SO badly, it was no wonder why they never tried to play it again.

Nice pics Mike!

Thanks for posting the pics of Boreal! It looks just as, er..... "interesting" as I remember it. We were up the ski hill a ways, not down close to the stage as you clearly were. The sound was as bad as I can recall any show I had ever attended. Was definitely one of those Dreadful Grate shows. On the other hand, it was certainly memorable in its own unique way. The biggest bummer was that I had brought along a friend after finally convincing her that she really needed to give these guys a chance. She was underwhelmed with the Grateful Dead, to say the least. unsure.gif

Glad you guys like the pics ... yes , not one of the better outdoor shows , a little windy and dusty for periods of time there during the show and lots of Bobby equipment issues , but still a blast to be on the road and see them up on the Ridge ...

Love when you guys throw out shows, go right to my hard drive, upload on my ipod and then use it as running music for the next few weeks.

these first sets are great for running..uptempo, fast and ripping, the be women and biodtl, the grow - just amazing stuff

and yes, the music > sugaree > music is probably the weakest part of the two pack!!

you couple these two shows with St Paul 8/6/82 and you got one hallava three pack

it is kristen stewart and adventureland is not a bad movie, surprisingly pretty good

• Forum MVP

these first sets are great for running..uptempo, fast and ripping, the be women and biodtl, the grow - just amazing stuff

and yes, the music > sugaree > music is probably the weakest part of the two pack!!

you couple these two shows with St Paul 8/6/82 and you got one hallava three pack

it is kristen stewart and adventureland is not a bad movie, surprisingly pretty good

8/7 didn't make it my hard drive but i downloaded the three before and the three after...

Archived