Front Street Playing In Berkeley

neutrino

WOW--What a fantastic show last night!!!!!!!!!!

My only previous experience with Stu was when he played with DSO in San Francisco. I was extremely impressed with that Regency show, and I knew then that DSO didn't need JK to still deliver. However, last night took it to another level from that DSO show for me. I"m sure that a large part is that Stu has had much more experience with this band and is in a comfort zone that he hadn't fully reached with DSO.

I can't remember the complete setlist, but would appreciate it if someone who was there has it and could post it. Hate to throw out such overused terms like "mindblowing", but that seems like the best description of the second set. The first set was really good, but the second set just took it into that special zone that only happens at a limited number of concerts. A complete dancefest that had me drenched in sweat by the end. The Dark Star/Saint Steven/Eleven was just incredible! This whole band cooks and if you have a chance to see them, don't even think about missing it!!!

Guest Lisacat

WOW--What a fantastic show last night!!!!!!!!!!

My only previous experience with Stu was when he played with DSO in San Francisco. I was extremely impressed with that Regency show, and I knew then that DSO didn't need JK to still deliver. However, last night took it to another level from that DSO show for me. I"m sure that a large part is that Stu has had much more experience with this band and is in a comfort zone that he hadn't fully reached with DSO.

I can't remember the complete setlist, but would appreciate it if someone who was there has it and could post it. Hate to throw out such overused terms like "mindblowing", but that seems like the best description of the second set. The first set was really good, but the second set just took it into that special zone that only happens at a limited number of concerts. A complete dancefest that had me drenched in sweat by the end. The Dark Star/Saint Steven/Eleven was just incredible! This whole band cooks and if you have a chance to see them, don't even think about missing it!!!

maybe I can help a little bit...

sugar mag

tom thumb's blues

bertha

on the road again

???

masterpiece

to lay me down

Black Throated Wind

Here comes sunshine

promised land

shakedown

playing

dark star

st stephen

william tell

drums/space

china doll

playin reprise

Touch

SSDD

E-sat night

I know I butchered the order of songs and probably missed a few....that should help some though.

maybe I can help a little bit...

sugar mag

tom thumb's blues

bertha

on the road again

???

masterpiece

to lay me down

Black Throated Wind

Here comes sunshine

promised land

shakedown

playing

dark star

st stephen

william tell

drums/space

china doll

playin reprise

Touch

SSDD

E-sat night

I know I butchered the order of songs and probably missed a few....that should help some though.

Thanks! That looks pretty close to what I remember. One notable thing missing is The Other One in the second set. Hope you had as good of a time as I did!

Guest Lisacat

Thanks! That looks pretty close to what I remember. One notable thing missing is The Other One in the second set. Hope you had as good of a time as I did!

it was great! really impressed at the level of playing for a local band that only does a few shows a year together....wish they played more often! one would think the bay area would have more solid local GD cover bands that play regularly...there are a couple but so far I haven't really been dazzled. I think Splintered Sunlight in philly is one of the best out there...those guys are solid and they play every week! Cubensis too from what I hear....

while everyone is out in CO for furthur, I'll look forward to getting my ya yas out with Front Street again in Santa Cruz on Feb 11...

it was great! really impressed at the level of playing for a local band that only does a few shows a year together....wish they played more often! one would think the bay area would have more solid local GD cover bands that play regularly...there are a couple but so far I haven't really been dazzled. I think Splintered Sunlight in philly is one of the best out there...those guys are solid and they play every week! Cubensis too from what I hear....

while everyone is out in CO for furthur, I'll look forward to getting my ya yas out with Front Street again in Santa Cruz on Feb 11...

Might have to make it to Santa Cruz too! Not sure why a band this good only seems to play a few times per year, but I'd hate to miss another one of these few opportunities. I guess Stu has a full plate with so many different projects, but Front Street deserves much more exposure.

Guest Lisacat

here's a link to the Front Street show.... http://www.archive.org/details/FrontStreet2011-01-15.flac16&reCache=1

its interesting to listen to the recording....I'm much better at critiquing a recording than when at a show.... it is a shame they don't play more often, as they'd get stronger. Right now, Stu just blows the other guys out of the water, IMO. Or at least the rhythm guitarist- he just sounds a little too fake Bobby cheesy at times and talks through lyrics (though is that to sound like Bobby?). But I guess the only "Bobby" guy I've ever been impressed with in a band other than DSO is Mike Kennedy who sat in for a number of shows with Splintered Sunlight but unfortunately didn't take the gig full-time....

• Forum MVP

here's a link to the Front Street show.... http://www.archive.org/details/FrontStreet2011-01-15.flac16&reCache=1

its interesting to listen to the recording....I'm much better at critiquing a recording than when at a show.... it is a shame they don't play more often, as they'd get stronger. Right now, Stu just blows the other guys out of the water, IMO. Or at least the rhythm guitarist- he just sounds a little too fake Bobby cheesy at times and talks through lyrics (though is that to sound like Bobby?). But I guess the only "Bobby" guy I've ever been impressed with in a band other than DSO is Mike Kennedy who sat in for a number of shows with Splintered Sunlight but unfortunately didn't take the gig full-time....

I've seen Splintered Sunlight maybe 10 ten times and I think i've seen 7 or 8 different configurations. 2 or 3 different bass players, 2-3 keyboardists, two bobby guys(maybe 3?). The only staples in the band as far as I can see are Butch(Jerry guy) and the drummers. And it's a shame because they really suffer from lack of continuity... Splintered Sunlight this friday at brownies. Who willl play Bass? Guitar? Keyboards? Come find out. :cheers:

Thanks for the archive link. I was at this show, and found the whole band really solid--including the rhythm guitarist. By "Bobby cheesy" perhaps you are referencing his stage mannorisms? I kind of noticed that a few times, but I didn't really think there was anything cheesy about his guitar playing and singing. I'll have to say , I had also noticed the Bobby mannerisms with Rob Eaton during my first few DSO shows (although not so much anymore). I figure it just comes naturally when you have spent many years at GD shows and then play in a band recreating the music. I don't consider it intentional imitation with either DSO or Frontstreet. I'll refraim from making any Frontstreet/DSO side-by-side comparisons (if for no other reason than this was my first Frontstreet show). I really enjoyed this show, and I'm considering traveling to Felton in a few weeks for another hit. I really love listening to Stu. He really has that Jerry touch in his playing.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Lisacat

for those interested....a few youtubes from Front Street in Felton...

http://www.youtube.c...onrockranch#p/u

http://www.youtube.c...u/4/QxcUtReX7ek

http://www.youtube.c...u/5/Qs4cSTA1aIs

http://www.youtube.c...u/7/Yzcb3_xvE3A

http://www.youtube.c...u/6/P5uBz1y2SOI

first time I ever get to see myself dance too....glad that doesn't happen too often.

Archived