The Fourth Admendment In Our Bill Of Rights Is Fading Away.

• Forum MVP

The Supreme Court on Monday ruled against a Kentucky man who was arrested after police burst into his apartment without a search warrant because they smelled marijuana and feared he was trying to get rid of incriminating evidence.

Voting 8-1, the justices reversed a Kentucky Supreme Court ruling that threw out the evidence gathered when officers entered Hollis King

• Forum MVP

Admendment IV

Part of our Constitution that is known as The Bill of Rights

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized. "

• Forum MVP

Justice Samuel Alito said in his opinion for the court that people have no obligation to respond to the knock or, if they do open the door, allow the police to come in. In those cases, officers who wanted to gain entry would have to persuade a judge to issue a search warrant.

But Alito said,

• Forum MVP

Oh yeah, that always works. If they want in, they're coming in one way or another.

I guess my question would be: Let's say you are in the middle of dinner and they knock on your door. What is the difference in sound(heard from outside) in putting your food down and heading towards the door and putting a bong away and heading for the door?

We're fucked. We need to convince everyone else that we are too. Freedom and rights must become important again or we shall enslave ourselves.

• Forum MVP

When the war on drugs leads to abrogation of the Third Amendment, then we are beyond fucked (and whatever that is, I shudder to think about)...

"No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

Guest Lisacat

"smelling marijuana" should absolutely not be grounds for breaking in. Go find some real fucking crime. icon13.gif

its amazing how ass backwards some parts of the country still are. Weed is more acceptable than cigarettes out here in certain parts of the state. Went to a show one time up in Marin and had to crack up at all the signs outside the front of the building and on the back patio that read "No Tobacco Smoke"

• Forum MVP

I blame the President.... that darn Obama...

what the heck when Bush was in office he got blamed for everything.... :wacko:

I never blamed Bush. I never blamed Obama. I'm done blaming the government. I'm going to blame the people - mostly the majority - but in actuality, all people, including myself. This country no longer values freedom. Even those that do care have lost the will to fight and stand up for themselves. We would rather try to live freely without getting caught than come out and say what we really think and feel. I get it though. Hiding is a lot safer than standing your ground. Standing your ground may be ineffective and is at the least a long arduous task before change happens. The general populous still believes we embody freedom when in actuality we don't. I must also take note that maybe freedom isn't desirable.

Obviously anarchy or pure unadulterated freedom isn't rational or possible. Obviously man should not be free to commit murder, rape, or theft. Unfortunately, we send our men and women to foreign lands to commit these atrocious acts with the approval of the U.S. government. The government's approval makes it so that murder is not illegal. However, no government approval can change the fact that these acts are wrong. The police in this instance violated the privacy of another human being. Privacy is a basic human right. If nothing else, I must be free to be left alone. The actions by the police were certainly legal and well within the powers granted to them by local, state, and federal governments and declared Constitutional by our courts. However, in the end I must find solace in my belief that the government and the court are not the final arbitrator in what is right and wrong, God will cast the final judgment and politicians that sanction war, those that blindly carry out their governments orders, and the police who blindly enforce laws cannot escape this final judgment.

Unfortunately, scripture is not clear. The Old Testament God certainly does not appear to necessarily disapprove of murder or war. On the other hand, the Christian God as shaped by the messages and the views of Jesus Christ certainly disapprove of murder and war. I cannot say for certain which views our correct. I am not the final arbitrator. I know where I choose to stand on the issue. I believe in peace, acceptance, and forgiveness. I do not believe in manmade destruction or subjugation.

I must admit that from a moral perspective freedom may be considered a bad thing. Free will and the actions of free man do not always coincide with what is a moral or right. However, in the society we live in, what is moral or right really has no bearing on what is legal or just. Morality demands a higher degree of control than simply standing inside the boundaries of manmade laws. In fact, morality would demand that we stand up and fight against unjust laws and unjust actions of our government and the government of others. With that being said, we as a people appear to care even less about morality than we do about freedom. Chances are we will continue to live this way until the empire falls. As we speak, the U.S. is already slipping from its position as sole superpower and our influence in the world is diminishing even as we continue to meddle militarily in the affairs of other nations. We forgot our principles and therefore, no longer embody what is right in this world.

I never blamed Bush. I never blamed Obama. I'm done blaming the government. I'm going to blame the people - mostly the majority - but in actuality, all people, including myself. This country no longer values freedom. Even those that do care have lost the will to fight and stand up for themselves. We would rather try to live freely without getting caught than come out and say what we really think and feel. I get it though. Hiding is a lot safer than standing your ground. Standing your ground may be ineffective and is at the least a long arduous task before change happens. The general populous still believes we embody freedom when in actuality we don't. I must also take note that maybe freedom isn't desirable.

Obviously anarchy or pure unadulterated freedom isn't rational or possible. Obviously man should not be free to commit murder, rape, or theft. Unfortunately, we send our men and women to foreign lands to commit these atrocious acts with the approval of the U.S. government. The government's approval makes it so that murder is not illegal. However, no government approval can change the fact that these acts are wrong. The police in this instance violated the privacy of another human being. Privacy is a basic human right. If nothing else, I must be free to be left alone. The actions by the police were certainly legal and well within the powers granted to them by local, state, and federal governments and declared Constitutional by our courts. However, in the end I must find solace in my belief that the government and the court are not the final arbitrator in what is right and wrong, God will cast the final judgment and politicians that sanction war, those that blindly carry out their governments orders, and the police who blindly enforce laws cannot escape this final judgment.

Unfortunately, scripture is not clear. The Old Testament God certainly does not appear to necessarily disapprove of murder or war. On the other hand, the Christian God as shaped by the messages and the views of Jesus Christ certainly disapprove of murder and war. I cannot say for certain which views our correct. I am not the final arbitrator. I know where I choose to stand on the issue. I believe in peace, acceptance, and forgiveness. I do not believe in manmade destruction or subjugation.

I must admit that from a moral perspective freedom may be considered a bad thing. Free will and the actions of free man do not always coincide with what is a moral or right. However, in the society we live in, what is moral or right really has no bearing on what is legal or just. Morality demands a higher degree of control than simply standing inside the boundaries of manmade laws. In fact, morality would demand that we stand up and fight against unjust laws and unjust actions of our government and the government of others. With that being said, we as a people appear to care even less about morality than we do about freedom. Chances are we will continue to live this way until the empire falls. As we speak, the U.S. is already slipping from its position as sole superpower and our influence in the world is diminishing even as we continue to meddle militarily in the affairs of other nations. We forgot our principles and therefore, no longer embody what is right in this world.

• Forum MVP

Wondeful piece. I agree with him. The most important message I heard was that we must live in a society where we are free to disagree. He is certainly right that the most "pious" of all Christians have no idea what Jesus really taught. The message was love and forgiveness. We truly need love and forgiveness in society today. For the most part, we have hate and revengeful justice. Thanks for posting this Bobby. William Cooper is a wise man.

• Forum MVP

William Cooper was a wise man.

Thanks for the correction.

The details of his demise only make him sound like more of a hero in my mind. I do not and will not ever support his violence, but he made it clear that if they don't leave him alone he will resist and he did what he said he would do. A man of his word.

Guest sugarmag2564

There was one worse than that, it was a 5-4 vote, I don't remember the particulars, but I think the jist of the issue was whether the police can "create" the probable cause for a search...yea, I'd say we are getting fucked. My favorite is the tenth ammendment...then, if we don't like the laws where we live, we can choose to move to a state that better suits us. It won't be too many years til the feds make all the rules.

Archived