So Wtf Happened To Papermill Island?

nhrapatio

Well WTF there was a nice show planned outside on papermill island scheduled for wed...

now for some reason they are moving the venue to the Westcott Theater in Syracuse---no explaination- Wescott sucks- parking sucks- area sucks!! would love to know what happened?!!

maybe they will give a refund....that sucks and i am bummed!!

:angry::icon13:

Guest Lisacat

I've been there and it certainly did not leave a lasting impression on me. I'd call its ambiance depressing.

BUT I believe its still the same band playing.

And what I would say is rather than bitching about it, bring the best energy you can to those sad walls.

What can YOU bring to the table???

Just a thought!

I've been there and it certainly did not leave a lasting impression on me. I'd call its ambiance depressing.

BUT I believe its still the same band playing.

And what I would say is rather than bitching about it, bring the best energy you can to those sad walls.

What can YOU bring to the table???

Just a thought!

i get that but i really don't like the venue- and it went from being a quick 30 min to the show and outside and cool place- now 1hour away & crap place inside. i will probably still go if the wife will but it just wont be the same- i will be better after i stew a bit.

• Forum MVP

Well WTF there was a nice show planned outside on papermill island scheduled for wed...

now for some reason they are moving the venue to the Westcott Theater in Syracuse---no explaination- Wescott sucks- parking sucks- area sucks!! would love to know what happened?!!

turn that frown upside down .... go to the westcott and dance your deadhead ass off ... :)

Guest Lisacat

they do let you dance at the wescott. I think at the end of the day, thats all I really care about.

nothing, IMO, nothing could be worse than that godforsaken venue they played at in Wayne, NJ at William Patterson U back in 08. No alcohol, which is usually A-OK with me, but this crowd needed something. Bright lights- I remember the band asking multiple times for them to turn them down. Absolutely no dancing in aisles. And the band was on a downslope from the audience and there was no room in between seats, so you couldn't even seat-dance. On top of that, I'm pretty sure they did not allow re-entry.

It was quite a bummer too that the band played some psychedelic stuff that night- doing some earlier songs but with that kind of set up, there was no where for that energy to go and it certainly wasn't a very psychedelic crowd. The elevator feedback courtesy of Mr. Healy however was quite funny.

so when I think about that, wescott doesn't seem all that bad.

• Forum MVP

they do let you dance at the wescott. I think at the end of the day, thats all I really care about.

nothing, IMO, nothing could be worse than that godforsaken venue they played at in Wayne, NJ at William Patterson U back in 08. No alcohol, which is usually A-OK with me, but this crowd needed something. Bright lights- I remember the band asking multiple times for them to turn them down. Absolutely no dancing in aisles. And the band was on a downslope from the audience and there was no room in between seats, so you couldn't even seat-dance. On top of that, I'm pretty sure they did not allow re-entry.

It was quite a bummer too that the band played some psychedelic stuff that night- doing some earlier songs but with that kind of set up, there was no where for that energy to go and it certainly wasn't a very psychedelic crowd. The elevator feedback courtesy of Mr. Healy however was quite funny.

That's the only DSO show I ever left early because of everything you just said , plus I got lost in the project area on my way there and I was traveling by myself :unsure:... that's one venue I would avoid ...

Guest Mac Crack

I'm with you, brother. The change of venue really sucks. Paper Mill Island is a gorgeous outdoor venue, it is potentially going to be a beautiful summer evening in central NY, the DSO is playing. What could be better? Certainly not an indoor show at a decrepit theater.

mac crack- THANK YOU!!!! That is how we felt- like a bad dream- i wouldn't have gotten tickets for this venue- had a real bad experience there a few years back - and friends got there car towed at a show there. i remember how dank and yuk it was there and my feet kept sticking to the floor! but i think we will still go - just not what was on the agenda !

• Forum MVP

I thought the whole William Patterson U show situation was kind of like a very down-scale Albany Egg. And the security folks were a trip unto themselves.

A slightly tacky floor can sometimes provide a little traction for dancing. But the Elmer's Glue effect from numerous combined unmentionable substances can overdo it.

Matt, shut up and drive.

Guest Lisacat

perhaps but I remember "dancing" at the egg front left without a problem. But that was before I really danced. So I be-bopped front left, which was still better than I remember the situation at the W-P show, a year later with a little more dancing under my belt. I can't imagine how untenable the situation would be now from my perspective.

all the uptight east coast venues combine.

It does suck that the show got moved, but I love the wescott and have seen at least 20 shows there since they reopened, that place is magical imo. I ve seen some great shows including 7 Walkers last year and they may have been one of the best shows I have been to in years. The Wescott is old and dank but they are working on it , the security is pretty chill and they do allow re-entry. Sorry for your bad experiences there but I am sure you will enjoy it this time. I have seen DSO there everytime they have been there and they tear the roof off of that place, as well as all the others they play. I know that I cant wait til tomorrow night.

• Forum MVP

I have decided to try to make it to the show in Atlantic City....

You picked a good one to go to Matt. One of the best venues on the East Coast. I'm picking some madcap barrister up at EWR on Friday morning. It's going to be 100 Degrees here Friday and Saturday....too hot to even speak. Look forward to hangin. Peace.

• Forum MVP

I have no access to a vehicle (Teacher Honda Civic is resting in garage in Vegas) ...and ...

I have gotten spoiled by the rental car prices in Las Vegas (I can get on for $13 a day) ... but ... here in Cleveland they want upwards of $50 a day !! ..

yikes... I got some feelers out to buddies here in the Lorain/Cleveland area ... but so far no takers...

hopefully ....

I agree that any venue where the staff allows uninhibited dancing, regardless of the logistical pitfalls, is much better for enjoying a show than those that prohibit it. It's funny you mention the Shea Center at WPU as a textbook example of uncool places... that was my first DSO show, and I still found ways to make the most of the evening! The show itself, a fine elective that featured one of the first "Hurts Me Too"s by the band, had Lisa looking and sounding like a woman possessed! So good was this version, that my spine was tingling by the climax, and the place ERUPTED in deafening cheers and hoots when it was done. Lisa smiled, and took a bow. She must have realized what a special treat this was for us, and it made my night! I also recall a sweet, heartfelt version of "Comes A Time", which is not played very often, and John really had the crowd's ear for this tune. I also remember that, even though dancing was almost impossible, there was a flat section between the lower orchestra section and the upper seats, and there was this young boy, maybe five years old, dancing wildly to the music, grinning from ear to ear. At fist, security kept trying to usher him back to his seat to be with his parents, but then his Mom and Dad talked to the heavies, and they finally relented, allowing the kid to do what that rest of us were not. I was right there in the first row above this open area, and it was great to see this kid flailing his arms, and doing his best to lift our spirits...it worked!!! Thanks, Lisacat, for causing me to re-live that night in my mind. Now, if only a recording would surface...

• Forum MVP

I also remember that, even though dancing was almost impossible, there was a flat section between the lower orchestra section and the upper seats, and there was this young boy, maybe five years old, dancing wildly to the music, grinning from ear to ear. At fist, security kept trying to usher him back to his seat to be with his parents, but then his Mom and Dad talked to the heavies, and they finally relented, allowing the kid to do what that rest of us were not. I was right there in the first row above this open area, and it was great to see this kid flailing his arms, and doing his best to lift our spirits...it worked!!!...

I'll bet that was rowjimmy's son Gerald !!! there is goodness in everything "DSO" ... even the person that told me I'm lucky I don't get a cap busted in my ass when I asked him for directions ... there was some sort of parade going on in the town and traffic was being diverted , I ended up getting lost on the troublesome side of town ... I guess they don't like deadheads in that area ... :blush:

• Forum MVP

I have no access to a vehicle (Teacher Honda Civic is resting in garage in Vegas) ...and ...

I have gotten spoiled by the rental car prices in Las Vegas (I can get on for $13 a day) ... but ... here in Cleveland they want upwards of $50 a day !! ..

yikes... I got some feelers out to buddies here in the Lorain/Cleveland area ... but so far no takers...

hopefully ....

Good to see you are taking proper steps to preserve the TMHC so we can get it listed with the National Register of Historic Places.

It does suck that the show got moved, but I love the wescott and have seen at least 20 shows there since they reopened, that place is magical imo. I ve seen some great shows including 7 Walkers last year and they may have been one of the best shows I have been to in years. The Wescott is old and dank but they are working on it , the security is pretty chill and they do allow re-entry. Sorry for your bad experiences there but I am sure you will enjoy it this time. I have seen DSO there everytime they have been there and they tear the roof off of that place, as well as all the others they play. I know that I cant wait til tomorrow night.

i so hope you are right- the wife really hates this place - and now it is farther and later than the outdoor venue- do you remember how it was inside temp wise- cause the time we were there it was a friggin sweatbox!!! and it is supposed to be really hot that day 90's -cant imagine-how many does it hold?

Archived