The Grateful Dead Archive

John A

• Forum MVP

I was fortunate enough to attend an event last night at UC Santa Cruz's McHenry Library - "The Attics of Our Lives" - a preview exhibit of the newly donated archive. The archive is slated to be opened to students, researchers, and the general public sometime next Spring.

This event was essentially a fundraiser and included a cover band, brief comments by library staff as well as archivist Nicolas Meriwether, lots of food and drink, and a preview exhibit of some of the archive's materials. The exhibit was predominantly poster art with a smattering of documents and other materials. Most of posters on display are well known, although there were numerous posters from the 90s that I had never seen. In fact, I didn't realize that posters were done for all Bill Graham events, regardless if they were New Year's shows that could have instantly sold out many times over.

Attendees were also given a poster, done by Stanley Mouse, commemorating the archive, as well as a beautiful, glossy, 200+ page hardcover book full of essays and materials relating to the archive. Only 350 copies of this book were printed.

While the poster art was great to look at, I found the limited (and certainly the archive encompasses hundreds of times more such material than was on display here) handwritten original documents far more fascinating. This included an original typed lyric sheet of Brokedown Palace with Garcia's handwritten notes in the margins, an original verse of what was to become Fire On The Mountain (dated 1971!) in Garcia's writing, and a framed page of very rough draft lyrics for He's Gone (dated 1970) copiously revised in Hunter's pen. It's hard to read there are so many phrases crossed out and scribbled over, and it was a gift from Hunter to Dennis McNally for his wedding. This was a particularly awesome thing to behold. The bottom of the page looked something like this:

Cat on a tin roof / Pigs Dogs in a pile

hangin' on a metal hook / see the chicken smile checkin' your file

Clearly Hunter had the right idea originally with the "smile" rhyme. :D

Also, "hot as a pistol" started life as "hot as a cracker."

I'm not sure to what degree all these materials will be accessible online via digital files vs. only at the library itself, but for the most part I assume it will be the former.

Anyway, some fun things to see, and no doubt the tip of a very big beautiful iceberg.

• Forum MVP

I was fortunate enough to attend an event last night at UC Santa Cruz's McHenry Library - "The Attics of Our Lives" - a preview exhibit of the newly donated archive. The archive is slated to be opened to students, researchers, and the general public sometime next Spring.

This event was essentially a fundraiser and included a cover band, brief comments by library staff as well as archivist Nicolas Meriwether, lots of food and drink, and a preview exhibit of some of the archive's materials. The exhibit was predominantly poster art with a smattering of documents and other materials. Most of posters on display are well known, although there were numerous posters from the 90s that I had never seen. In fact, I didn't realize that posters were done for all Bill Graham events, regardless if they were New Year's shows that could have instantly sold out many times over.

Attendees were also given a poster, done by Stanley Mouse, commemorating the archive, as well as a beautiful, glossy, 200+ page hardcover book full of essays and materials relating to the archive. Only 350 copies of this book were printed.

While the poster art was great to look at, I found the limited (and certainly the archive encompasses hundreds of times more such material than was on display here) handwritten original documents far more fascinating. This included an original typed lyric sheet of Brokedown Palace with Garcia's handwritten notes in the margins, an original verse of what was to become Fire On The Mountain (dated 1971!) in Garcia's writing, and a framed page of very rough draft lyrics for He's Gone (dated 1970) copiously revised in Hunter's pen. It's hard to read there are so many phrases crossed out and scribbled over, and it was a gift from Hunter to Dennis McNally for his wedding. This was a particularly awesome thing to behold. The bottom of the page looked something like this:

I'm not sure to what degree all these materials will be accessible online via digital files vs. only at the library itself, but for the most part I assume it will be the former.

Anyway, some fun things to see, and no doubt the tip of a very big beautiful iceberg.

Very cool. I grew up with Nic Meriwether in SC, but lost contact with him around college. I was so psyched for him when I read an article about him in the local SC newspaper. After climbing onto the bus while attending college in the 80's, Nic pursued a doctorate in library science.

He landed his dream job heading up the GD archives, beating out thousands of applicants. Well done, Nic!

• Forum MVP

I've been a science fiction fan since junior high, and particularly love the alternate history sub-genre. Reading about those lyric outtakes makes me wonder about various "what ifs" for beloved songs.

"see the chicken smile, smile, smile" does have a certain ring to it...

• Forum MVP

That's so awesome John!

Thanks for letting us in on some of it. I love learning new things about this stuff and I learned plenty in your post!

My buddies are planning a weekend blasting party of the Europe '72 release to possibly coincide with checking this place out. We've had these weekends around a single show in past years, where they get a great house on the beach, isolated enough to play music as VERY loud levels, rent some powerful equipment and plan the whole vacation weekend around the playing of the one show that was being honored. So far, there have been 8/27/72, 5/8/77 and 12/31/72 weekends (T shirts are also made my a buddy who does that for work). It's pretty great!

I think we were hoping that this place was going to open up sooner though...too bad they couldn't do it just one day sooner, for many.

• Forum MVP

We got the Jerry Garcia Band poster from The Wiltern shows 3/13 (Friday) and 3/14 1987 right from the marquee. It's about 3 1/2 feet by 5 feet. It list "A Bill Graham Production" at the bottom. My good friend who was going to UCLA at the time opened up the glass box that wasn't locked and took the poster. I came back to his dorm room after taping the show on my D6 and he had the poster up on his wall! I can now make copies for anyone at $1.50 a piece plus shipping for the poster tube

My buddies are planning a weekend blasting party of the Europe '72 release to possibly coincide with checking this place out. We've had these weekends around a single show in past years, where they get a great house on the beach, isolated enough to play music as VERY loud levels, rent some powerful equipment and plan the whole vacation weekend around the playing of the one show that was being honored. So far, there have been 8/27/72, 5/8/77 and 12/31/72 weekends (T shirts are also made my a buddy who does that for work). It's pretty great!

I think we do something sort of like that a few times a month in Santa Cruz?

Its near the beach. Good sound system. Certainly good dance floor. We don't make t shirts but we do have twinkly lights!

• Forum MVP

I think we do something sort of like that a few times a month in Santa Cruz?

Its near the beach. Good sound system. Certainly good dance floor. We don't make t shirts but we do have twinkly lights!

The part that leaves a little to be desired, at least in my mind, is your description of the sound system.

:)

The part that leaves a little to be desired, at least in my mind, is your description of the sound system.

:)

Well maybe you should find out for yourself! (by the way it is a new sound system and it does rock)

Archived