Mango

• Forum MVP

Ever since I first began traveling for shows ten years ago it has been a goal of mine to do an entire tour. Things In my life all came together perfectly for me to do this- including ending my apartment lease, moving my stuff into storage, finding a new home for my rabbit, ending an old relationship, and getting over 7,000$ of dental work done the less than two weeks!- so I decided it was time to leave the east coast and with it my old life. People continually asked me what i planned to do following tour, where I thought i might live, etc. To these questions I had no specific answer, but I knew that the road would show me the way. And so...

....I departed from Philadelphia, car packed tight with everything I thought I might need for a hot minute(including my juicer). After a pleasantly uneventful drive across the country(including dropping off my bunny in colorado) I arrived in Portland, a few days early for tour so I could decompress. Nothing like driving across the country to make your 26 year old knees and hips feel like that of a 50 year old...

Seattle-Eugene: Seattle night one was very sharp for a tour opener. Great estimated>eyes. Plenty of flail space(unlike night two). Night two was super crowded but still enjoyable. Ridiculous to end the first set with let it grow>franklins tower...had me thinking that perhaps the show was an elective. But not. Sweet Stella in the second set. Portland. Love the bouncy floor, unfortunately by second set I couldnt even find 2 square feet to bounce in. Props to Vegas for somehow blissing out the whole show despite circumstances. But wow, positively 4th street, what a treat!! Everything came together in Eugene for a perfect show. I'll say that the folks in Eugene really get this music. Black Peter was some fine work from Jeff mattson.

Arcata: humboldt. Yum, love this place/area. Freakin sweet 73 show with an absolutley epic wrs>wharf rat>uncle>eyes>dew. Going in i thought the crowd in arcata would but with it but not so. Booze.....great times though nonetheless. I rode into this place alone and I departed to San Francisco with a rider who planned to stay on til Santa Cruz. I had been friends with this individual for a couple years but never gotten to really spend any quality time with her. I didn't go on tour to find a partner, in fact I was enjoying the life of being single quite a bit. But after a few days of shows together we fell head over heels in love with eachother and I'm just happy as a clam. She got in my car for a few shows and never got out:)

San Francisco: kind of a blur. A certain someone was distracting my thoughts from the music....shows were all stellar though, each in a completely different way. 3 set 69 show was a fine way to kick it off. The best word I can think of to describe night two is "strong". Very strong. Night three was my favorite, love me a good elective. World to give, such a beautiful song.

Petaluma-santa Cruz: caution from Petaluma was off the hook. Sweet pitb as well. Lots of good pigpen. Santa Cruz featured a very strong 90s show. Standing on the moon was beautiful. I love Jeff mattson. That's right.

Solana beach- good outing from the boys on another 90s show but my god what an awful crowd. One particular individual was yelling at barraco all throughout the second set, almost go into a fight(which I got in the middle of), and molested me during wharf rat. This lady was the epitome of obnoxious.

Agora hills- simply magical. Easily my favorite of the tour, really no contest at all. Jeff mattson just continues to blow me away with eyse of the world....over and over again. The outro jam was really unique and special, leading/melting right into a supremely pyschadelic and unrushed playin in the band. This jam traveled all over the place and kept no prisoners. Another perfect melt into a divine wheel and then back into the reprise. Grateful dead performed at its finest. Awesome venue as well. What a night.

Phoenix: long drive after a long night. Lots of waiting through bands who otherwise couldn't have paid me to listen to their music. Weather report>Stella made it all worth it.

It was everything I had ever hoped for me more. So many thanks to so many people so I'll just say one big thank you to the universe.

If you actually read all this, thank you. If not, well, I don't know why you scrolled down this far;)

• Forum MVP

I read it...well said. Doing whole tours is a special treat and I'm glad you received the full blessing!

My knees and hips are just fine, except on the mornings after. Then I wish they felt like I was only 50...

• Forum MVP

I was sitting in CA wishing I was farther north for days until the rainbow of sound rolled into town (and I have been wishing myself to be at DSO since state bridge...) but the promised land arrived (perfect to have a promised land open my first show of the run and jack straw open my last, thanks!) and I surely finally showed up for one of my long awaited dates with destiny.

I gotta tell ya, I wasn't sure if it would be easy after the egg and all.... but that was DUMB of me to think cause as soon as I jumped out of my friends car to stand in front of the arcata theatre I KNEW I WAS HOME and then Joseph walked up and then Mango walked up and I remembered why I have been feeling so damn isolated these last months....... not talking dead has been KILLING ME.

I will give reviews over the next few days of each individual show, as it will take me gathering my setlist book out of my luggage and giving some real thought to it. my memory is VERY much intact, so I will take my time to really let you guys know how each show felt in this little unicorn's head.

I do have to say that the 69 sf show STOLE me in death don't (oh it IS COMING HOLY SHIT!) but that the 76 was my special cup ot tea (comes a time and mission in one show i just can't get much happier) but when it was all said and done I just have to say that the Canyon Club in agoura was hands down the best show ever for me in every possible way. a random couple sent drinks to us thru the waitress before the show as we sat front and center waiting after a tasty in venue dinner which set us giggling for the night. seriously, jeff matson has been really playing his way into my heart, but he really just ate my freakin face right off with no mercy and i just really don't want to do anything but come watch him do THAT every damn night.

this tour I decided (before I decided not to get out of Mango's car) that I must make as many shows as possible, but when my living situation fell thru bc I am too deadicated, it was easy for me to keep on truckin so we could really get some plans going. you just don't meet someone every day that has the same feelings and views on so many aspects of this music and after we have both suffered thru shows with people who didn't wanna be there for the same reasons it is so freakin good graciously relieving to just let the good times ROLL already.

anyways, i will be reviewing each show individually, THANK YOU FOR THE STRANGE MAN LISA, it really helped cast the magic i needed that night when my whole life just decided to do its smack you in the face and make big decisions right now thing. just exactly perfect.

see you guys in VT think I'll go thru the Terrapin Nation show :)

Archived