Wharf Rat

US Blues

Sugar Mag

E

Casey Jones

From Aug 4th,1974 Philly

Filler Mr. Charlie

Great Show, real nice venue.

Briefly, I need to go to sleep. Rob Eaton. My God. I was right in front of him tonight and while I have been blown away by him so many times, tonight, he was extra magical. The whole band was great, as always. I was just stuck in a Rob rhythm trance and I didn't want out.

• Forum MVP

I had been hoping for a '74 show in Chicago the night before. An orphan Scarlet....a magical WRS....and the Playin's in that year! I should have gotten on the bus and found my way to Michigan!

the venue looked like the band was playing in some magical garden, which i guess it was.. considering it was a beer garden. they had a wide variety of yummy beer and offered enough free samples to get drunk on! bell's brewery was a super cool spot with lush grass to dance in and trees to shade you from the sun. the staff was really strict about not dancing barefoot, which i was talked to about numerous times ;) they didnt really seem to care how many times they told people to put their shoes on, but they were really persistent the whole show. the sound was great and there was tons of room to dance. the whole front of the stage was one big dance party with more than a handful of kids really gettin down. the whole first set was a big dancer with some powerful and emotional mind bending moments thrown in. as for the second set, i really enjoyed the WRS, let it grow, wharf rat. there were one or two oops moments in terms of lyrics and cues, but all in all i thought the playing was tight and really enjoyable. unfortunately im missing indy due to having to go back to work for a few days (ugh real life) but ill see everyone in springfield!!

as a side note, koritz played drums for first and second set, with dino stepping in for the encore. the mosquitoes were out again in full force and koritz looked like he was being eaten alive. i saw bug spray flying through the air on more than one occasion.

• Forum MVP

as I don't hit the mass volume of shows like I used to a show like this one in Kalamazoo was just extra special...

I enjoy getting back to the Midwest and hanging with friends and family...

an old touring buddy of mine and his wife (a DSO virgin) rolled into Bells Brewery about 4pm and the good beer starting to flow ... how about the awesome prices and selection.... yummy !!

really got a kick of the band before they starting the show having a little fun with "some guy who said he thinks it is going to be a '73 show".... and the banter continued ... "well it could be a '72 show ... or a '74 show"

all I know is that "some guy" could have been about 6'2 190 with a tanned shaved head .... I do recall he was quite handsome .... ;)

had some nice chats with a few of the boys at setbreak and then after the show.... much thanks for making my buddy and his wife feel at home as well as myself ..... I think I may still be smiling from the kindness shown !!

good pregame with redeyedburt .... nice to see my young friends RickE and Jen ... a post show ride back to my hotel always is a thumbs up winner ....

and the music (a '74), crowd of about 250, and venue that is just a big cozy back yard in the country left nothing to do except "smile smile smile" .. :rolleyes:

I'm still basking in the glow of what was Sunday night in Kalamazoo.  I had only seen dso once in the last year.  I've missed a lot of Midwest shows the last 2 years because of work or some other bs. This show was perfect for me. I work Monday through Friday on the night shift 3 to 11 right now.  A Sunday night show two hours from home works.

Also working in our favor was the weather. The forecast for Kalamazoo called for a high of 90 with low humidity and after this last weeks heat wave that felt like 65° and breezy. It was a beautiful day.

We got there at 6:30 and showtime was 8 PM. They just set up will call and we got our tickets and my buddy and I went in to check out the scene. The restaurant and brewery was very nice and spacious. They put out coolers of water with cups which was great because I wasnt planning on drinking that night because I was driving home. My buddy ordered this 6 brew sampler and I helped him with that, just so he wouldn't have to drink alone.  After the delicious sampler I decided I was going to have a beer at intermission but in the end I stuck with the water the rest of the night.

I talked to a few familiar faces and met some new ones. Two guys from Rochester!  Please pm me and we'll exchange info. Sorry I missed you after the show.

Outside the venue was beautiful. Everything terrapinjen said except I was able to take my sandles off midway through the 2nd set. I had to. My feet hurt. Security was very visible but I got the vibe they weren't gonna throw anybody out for indiscretions, they were just going to ask them to stop whatever they were doing that they shouldn't be. I was quite happy and comfortable and ready to see some DSO.  

One drummer set up so that narrowed it down quite a bit. I'll take any year, but 72 – 74 is currently my favorite.  I've been real lucky my last 6 shows in that regard. Two 73's and last nights 74.  

We were 20 feet away when the band came out and when Bertha started I was immediately taken aback by the new sound system. It was so crystal clear, and so loud!!!

Basically I was so blown away by the 1st set ending playin, commenting on the rest of the set may seem like I didn't like it( I did). It was all good, but that playin, that playin is what i live for.  I dont now how long it was, but it was....long.  What a jam!!!  That's not to say there weren't other standouts.  Scarlet, black throated wind, and jack straw were excellent. The solo in jack straw was long and rockin.

The 2nd set is similar to the first in that, I loved it all, but it was mostly about one song.  The weather report suite/let it grow was awesome. Eaton's playing on this left my mouth wide open. Honarable mention for a great version of Casey jones. I get bored with that song sometimes. Not this night.

It was a perfect night. Sometimes I forget how good this band is at what they do.

I've spent the last 2 years mostly building my collection. I've listened to a lot of shows. I know things about certain years I used to not know. The attention to detail is sick yet it never gets stale because even though they play a 74 like a 74, there is always still there own subtle twist to it.  Amazing!!!

I said it already, but it should be said again. Rob eaton is out of his mind when channeling bobby.

Dso rocks!!!!

Archived