Thanks DSO!

Hollowdweller

I just wanted to log on and tell DSO how much fun we had at the Jubilee.

We have only gone to the ALL GOOD for the last several years and this year we blew it off in favor of the Jubilee, hoping for a bit more laid back experience and also liking the more ROOTSY lineup.

First to the music: I've seen DSO numerous times before but I don't think I've ever heard them play better.

That's What Love Will Make You Do with Kreutzmann and Porter was a hilight, but truth be told while the first nights show was a standout the band played the shit out of every song, they did with incredible exciting jamming and their great vocals. Weather Report Suite was another real favorite for me. I was actually singing it Sat Morning during the rain.

Keller, Donna, Stringdusters, Jorma, they all delivered great sets. I really enjoyed the somewhat RELIX like lineup which, while I like some of them was heavy on roots music and light on "McJamband" music.

I wanted to give the band or whoever booked the Ragbirds special thanks. I had never heard of them before and I thought their set on the deck of the VIP tent was one of the highlights of the festival. They had such a great sound incorporating Cajun, Gypsy, Celtic, African and Folk elements with really great songwriting and really pretty vocals.

I hope you all made some money because attendence seemed sparse but from a music lovers perspective it was great. You could get close to your favorite bands without being pummelled, you could get food or to the toilet without waiting for 20 minutes.

Also while it was a letdown that the rain took the one stage out, with the smaller crowd and sets on the VIP deck I thought that if you do another Jubilee that should be continued. Maybe have a Shelter with the band in the middle so the crowd could be on 3 or 4 sides. I thought that having the bands right down there eye level with the crowd was a huge plus!

All and All we had a great time. I wanted to mention it was great to get in and out of the venue without a huge hassle like the All Good sometimes is.

Here are my suggestions for next time.

Move the car camping area a bit closer to the road rather than up on the hill, OR move the Portable Toilets and water colser to the car camping area.

Make an alternate stage in the crowd like the VIP tent was this year. Stock it with good acoustic and roots acts.

Crack down on dogs. It made me very nervous to see so many pit bulls. Sure sign of not being a hippie is to have a pit bull.

While the crowd scene was overwhemingly great in the camping areas we heard 4 or 5 people in arguments and a couple guys nearly fought. I'd like to see some sort of VIBE police that would come and shut these people up. It detracted from the overall positive vibe.

I have been going to festivals regularly since 1979. I have to say the Jubilee was one of the better ones overall I've been to especially as far as being able to see the bands and how friendly the crowd was. Thanks!

Sorry there if I offended you my friend. My wife and I have both been attacked by pitbulls and another killed our 17 year old cat so we have a little PTSD about them.

When I looked at the FAQ it said no dogs and that was a plus for us. Also the dogfight right in front of us while we were enjoying the show made us a little nervous given our history.

I understand the fear with pitbulls but they are not to blame for the bad reputation they have. The cruel owners/breeders are to blame. Its sad because they are just dogs and they don't know. I've met very good pits too.

I agree that dogs (aside from service animals) should not be allowed. Too many people not taking care of them as they should and they should not be in front of speakers either.

not to dwell on the subject of dogs, but i have two dogs, and lemme tell you, its a pain in the a@s to have to line up some one to watch them, or to have to board them. if i could have brought my old dogs, two labs btw, they would have been real happy to crash in the camper, i could have saved a pile of hassle. i did see at least one dog with an assistive animal tag. if youre gonna have rules...

• Forum MVP

People are going to argue anywhere. I thought security was the perfect level---almost non-existant. The Sheriff that patrolled up and down the road like 4x a day were definitely not looking for anyone breaking the law. I saw people smoking 3 feet from those guys and the cops just looked away. After the fest I saw several cars pulled over with drug dogs out. I guess they were like we let you do what you wanted for 3 days and now we are gonna take you down. It was a little freaky with all the festival people pulled over with the belongings strung out on the side of the highway.

Also several of the dogs I saw were helper dogs. If you are training a dog to assist people then you can bring it even if he's not assisting you.

couldnt agree more. had just the most relaxed time at the place, and i got poppped 12 miles east on 70. the oficer felt the "stickers on the back of my trailer were indicative of a lifestyle". so im busted for having stickers. 218 for a dirty pipe, and a chance to go back to ohio in 2 weeks from SC to say im sorry. WAAAAAAAAH

Man, I feel sorry for all the people stopped after the show. We had a cop start following us going East on 70 and he was behind me for about 10 miles. I guess just enough time to look up all my info, etc and then he U- turned it. Was sweating it for a little bit. Really didn't want to unload our tiny Fit full of wet camping stuff.

Wow. I never knew there were any cop problems but the shortest distance for us to get there is basically all secondary roads and no inter states at all.

It's sad people can get pulled over for stickers. Happened to several of my friends back in our dead touring days. I remember when they first started doing that and how when you went to dead shows all the tour heads cars suddenly were clean of stickers because they got the memo.

couldnt agree more. had just the most relaxed time at the place, and i got poppped 12 miles east on 70. the oficer felt the "stickers on the back of my trailer were indicative of a lifestyle". so im busted for having stickers. 218 for a dirty pipe, and a chance to go back to ohio in 2 weeks from SC to say im sorry. WAAAAAAAAH

I thought OH was a decrim state and it was just like a parking ticket?

It is a ticket, but I have to appear in district court. The troopers, who were very respectful of my stuff and professional and all said that I had crossed over the white stripe on the right of the road, a sign of a fatigued driver. When he saw the stickers he made his lifestyle call . Also , he " was not entirely naive about festivals. They are a thinly veiled excuse for people to use illicit substances". I did kinda want to laugh. But it was like running the gauntlet for 20 miles. I just lost.

I think we need to rename this thread cops and dogs!

If you were at the festival with "stuff", you should have realized leaving it could result in some unwanted stress. My suggestion would have been to exit clean after a good time. I am sorry for anyone who was hassled but the cops were just waiting due to the festival ending AND Labor Day weekend. Budgets are tight and they were bound to get their quota. Like shooting fish in a barrel.

As for the dogs, I saw many and a couple posturing when they saw competition. Never saw a fight and met many a nice dog. Got a lot of cute pictures of them too. Props to the sweet dog with the fire twirlers. Only 9 months old but so well behaved. And the 3 who just snuggled on blankets while their owners danced to DSO on night 3 were great too. But, I understand the fear of getting bitten. My wife was once bitten by one on a leash after the guy said he was behaved. Rules are rules and it was well posted before you bought tickets. Next year, service dogs only please.

Oh, I noticed a couple of dogs chose not to use the port-a-johns! I guess they had standards. Eck! Pick it up guys!

Regarding your comment about pitbulls- one could say sure sign of not being a hippie is being judgmental.

Anyhow, thought that was a deadhead festival. I didnt know you had to be a hippie to attend.

What is a hippie nowadays anyway?

i'm a non-judgmental-stoney curtis-dead to the core-no idea what a hippie is-dog owner (Cassidy,ofcourse) who thinks there is NO PLACE for pitbulls.

• Advisory Board

Yeah, I don't like seeing dogs at festivals, I don't think it's right for the dogs OR the other people who might step in their shit cause no one cleans it up...

As for the cops, WOW.... Pulling out of the venue to 70, I saw 4 people getting searched, and from 70 East to the WV line, I think I saw another 10 people pulled over and their shit being tossed.... Those Ohio Troopers were EVERYWHERE!!!

hey now ~ there's a guy you might contact regarding your situation ... here's a post I made from spring hookahville regarding profiling

ATTENTION!! If you, or someone you know, received a citation coming into or leaving Hookahville at Legend Valley this past weekend, you, or they, need to contact this guy, he is handling the paperwork for extensions so he can fight all the tickets that Hookahville attendees received...what the police were doin IS profiling and it IS illegal!

Don E Wirtshafter

Wirtshafter Law Office

6998 State Route 329

Guysville, OH 45735

740-591-4557

He's a great guy! He's testified in Washington many times. He's a cannabis activist (he wrote the wording for this year's Ohio marijuana legislation that didn't get enough signatures to be on the fall ballot). Anyhoo... give him a call asap ~ my best advice to you, dear ~ good luck and tell him the disc o pizza folks sent you ~

Hello Friends, Did any of the people who were searched on I-70 agree to be searched ? I know it's scary as hell being pulled over by aggressive police,

but we need to know our rights and insist that they be observed. I am pissed off at the way we are treated after filling motel rooms,buying tons of food

and fuel,and basically bringing a huge payday to an area that looks to me as if the good times were a long time ago. Maybe we need to find a place

where our dollars will be appreciated. Does that place exist in the police state that our land has become? On a lighter note,I had a great time at the "Jube"

and I hope we can all be together forever and ever,when we make it to the promised land!! Peace to All..........Bob

:dsorocks::crewrocks:

Archived