Warren/Jerry tribute

sonomajon

• Forum MVP

Went to the show at Tanglewood on Saturday.

It was really amazing. So much fun. Great venue. So awesome to see Wolf on stage. The orchestration was perfect. Warren sounded phenomenal on guitar and vocally. If this is coming close to you, I HIGHLY suggest going.

Wow - My expectation was that I would enjoy it.  It beat the hell out of my expectations.  At the start the crowd sat like at sedate classical concert.  At one point I only saw one person up and moving.  Well, they went into Scarlet Begonias anf the crowd erupted, everyone was up on there feet and dancing - most of us were up for the rest of the show. 

I have been to other full orchestra tributes to some genre of modern music although it could be enjoyable it always come off as sort of flat.  NOT LAST night.  Warren and the band wa fully integrated with the orchestra.  The arrangements were great and all were on the same page.  Whenever I hear Terrapin on the album I think that it doesn't sound very good with the orchestra playing.  Last night with the full orchestra and Warren playing Terrapin I finally realized what the vision was for the song with orchestra was that you can'y get from the album.    

There were too many highlights to mention but Morning Dew and Stella Blue were fantastic. 

If you get the chance see this show

Wow - My expectation was that I would enjoy it.  It beat the hell out of my expectations.  At the start the crowd sat like at sedate classical concert.  At one point I only saw one person up and moving.  Well, they went into Scarlet Begonias anf the crowd erupted, everyone was up on there feet and dancing - most of us were up for the rest of the show. 

I have been to other full orchestra tributes to some genre of modern music although it could be enjoyable it always come off as sort of flat.  NOT LAST night.  Warren and the band wa fully integrated with the orchestra.  The arrangements were great and all were on the same page.  Whenever I hear Terrapin on the album I think that it doesn't sound very good with the orchestra playing.  Last night with the full orchestra and Warren playing Terrapin I finally realized what the vision was for the song with orchestra was that you can'y get from the album.    

There were too many highlights to mention but Morning Dew and Stella Blue were fantastic. 

If you get the chance see this show

I am only slightly stupid, not as stupid as my spelling and grammer in the above post would indicate

• Forum MVP

I made a last-minute decision to go see the Garcia tribute show in Philly Tuesday night – and if anyone else has this show rolling nearby them in CO or CA -   I wanted to share my experience.  And if you don’t want to read all this, the reader’s digest version is…GO SEE!

Atmosphere:

While the crowd obviously was a dead-head majority, there were many not from the scene - people who were more interested in the orchestra or simply attended as part of the diverse music program series at the Mann.  I paid a little extra $ to get a center orchestra seat to get the best sound.  I was disappointed that it was mostly a “sit-down” crowd up front.  There was some stand-up energy by the middle of the first set – and I kept asking the folks behind me if they minded standing…but eventually moved to sidelines to stand & dance.   The sitters tolerated standing for a while, so it was the considerate move – and I’d have to say everyone was on good behavior – I saw no overt smoking or crazies.  All camps happy.  The extra $ investment was good because of the lower ring sound…just went off to the side.  So….keep this in mind if other venues have the choices for close seating or GA.

The tunes:

I won’t discuss the actual songs.  Given the rotating orchestra line-ups, the playbook is limited – and if you are 1 who likes to be surprised, stay away from YouTube, etc.    I thought it was a good selection that benefitted from the symphonic depth.  The sound was rich and energizing -a truly unique sound.  It wasn’t a “dancing” style, but no way I could just sit & listen

Warren:

To address the WH lovers and haters – I do enjoy his playing – but admit next to listening to Bobby talk thru a Jerry song, I’m not fond of WH singing Jerry – so I was concerned about a full night.  He definitely adjusted his approach in a very pleasant, Jerry way.  It was much more folksy-personal and soulful than standard Warren. 

And Warren’s guitar work – I can answer that in 1 word.

Wolf

It doesn’t matter if you like how Warren plays – Wolf was howling.  Wolf was melding melody and rhythm.   Hearing Wolf live would have been reason enough to attend – serious spiritual channeling of the past.  Wolf was playing Warren.

The line-up:

I have to make a personal aside here that I was a student of Seymour Rosenfeld of the Philadelphia Orchestra – and I already had a deep appreciation of symphonies. If you have never taken in a full orchestra performance live – well, what better motivation than a dead-wrapped invitation?    The orchestra made for a unique experience.   The group at our stop, the Pittsburgh Symphony, had benefit of a previous performance.   World-class musicians blending their sound  w/the Dead – very cool.

The back-up singers flashed chillingly reminiscent throwbacks of JGB, and veterans Jeff Sipe (drums) and bassist Lincoln Schleifer rounded out the delicious sounds.

All in all – a memorable night, and a fitting tribute to Jerry.

• Forum MVP

World-class musicians blending their sound  w/the Dead – very cool.

You always gotta like that.  What more needs to be said?  Very cool indeed.  While I must sheepishly admit  that I am not attending either of the 2 SF dates (one of which falls on the Sunshine Daydream showing and that is an easy choice so I'm off the hook there), this is a great project.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

This bump is for the 1 soul out there who is on the fence, didn’t give this show a thought, etc.  The last west coast leg stops @ Red Rocks, SF & LA.  Rumors abound regarding special guests for Garcia’s B-Day 8/1 SF show.

Deeply emotional is the general consensus from those who have seen, don’t be 1 to look back and say coulda, shoulda gone...

This is a “chillin” show…and speaking of chills, I found this article interesting for an explanation as to why music can give you the “chills”, and how it relates to our personal grateful experiences.

http://www.mentalfloss.com/article/51745/why-does-music-give-us-chills

• Forum MVP

thanks for the reviews, guys! we were on the fence as my first exp w members of the Dead was after seeing DSO and getting turned on and my friends could NOT believe I didn't give a damn about seeing the Dead that summer and made me promise to go.  lot was great (NEVER seen anything like that in my LIFE at that point!) but the music wasn't so great.... it def wasn't what I had heard at DSO and fallen head over heels in love with.  so I saw the first and last shows of that tour and it didn't grab me either time... I even walked away at Rothbury cause it was just too much.... stuff I didn't go for...... so I went to see MSTRKRFT the DJ instead..... "all I do is party..." lmao....

so, I wasn't going to go to this.  I don't like feeling the least disappointed at Dead music and I tend to avoid such situations.  but Warren IS A GREAT musician (went to xmas jam and asheville the year he brought robert plant and allman's did zeppelin ALL night til like 5AM!!!! sick!!!) and I love orchestral interpretations (hehehe) so after reading these WE ARE IN.

cheese tonight, dead on tuesday.  happy days off worked out.  then, nxt sat, tara mandala retreat center to see how the buddhists down there are living with the land.  gonna be a fun august (has to be cause I will be mourning not being in HIGH SCHOOL THE WHOLE TIME!)

• Forum MVP

We missed you at Cheese SVT.  Hopefully, I will catch you tomorrow night.  I'm pretty excited for this gig after being less than thrilled with the Cheese experience.  I thought I liked those guys years ago, but they have certainly evolved and do not sound anything like I remember.  Unfortunately, to my taste, they have devolved.  They go from Cheesy to Phishy to Biscuity all in the course of one song that used to sound cheesy bluegrassy.  Even songs I remembered being good went womp womp.  My friends seemed to enjoy it though.  

I Went to Red Rocks last night to see Warren's Jerry tribute. A fine, fine show. Not really jammed out, but orchestrated nicely and a poignant tribute to the big man. Dude on violin killed his solo in Russian Lullaby.

I went to this show in Philly, and I loved it. I was up balcony dancing away. The show felt like it was a test drive for Warren-could it be as cool in reality as it sounds on paper. The Pittsburgh Symphony was very good, especially considering their limited rehearsal time. While the tempo of most of the songs was a bit slower than i prefer, it was perfect for a very beautiful SOTM, as well as High Time. I think that with some tweaking, some practice and a more diverse set list, this could be great in the future. The amazing music of Jerry Garcia and the Grateful Dead should not die with Garcia. That would be a crazy, unfortunate waste. I'm thrilled that a powerhouse musician like Warren Haynes is looking for quality ways to keep this music alive.

Archived