Uncle John's Band ->
Playing In The Band 
Stella Blue 
El Paso 
Eyes Of The World ->
Sugar Magnolia 

Encore
Casey Jones

The Playin sandwich was very tasty...The Dew was sublime...taken down to a virtual whisper and then built up beautifully into a full fledged volcano. Sound both nights was pristine (cotter is the man)...Stella was like a prayer, and a 73 Eyes is always ear candy with all the fits and starts...Sugar Mag was nothing short of ferocious and the slightly thinned out room at that point was rocking deep and hard...Great vibes all around and on to face melting Friday... :-)

• Forum MVP

What struck me seeing '76 then '73 on back to back nights is how much Donna's role increased post hiatus.

It was great seeing two performances of Looks Like Rain, for example,  night 1 an Eaton/Lisa vocal duet, and night 2 a stripped down Eaton bare bones arrangement.  Good stuff.

• Forum MVP

between agoura and night 1 at TXR I think we may have gotten maybe three songs last night that weren't repeats from the 2 previous nights….. Gabe was off put by this (he's new hehe) but I LOVE THIS cause it makes me feel even more like I am touring the Dead and I have been to enough shows to really get off on the differences of how they play when it is pointed out back to back like that. these guys are just so damn talented I never get the redundancy blues.  the era switching is a life saver!

ended up in front and had a lot of people getting friendly with me and holding the space around me cause they had seen me the first night (even though we were on the other side tonight…. MY FIRST SKIP SIDE SHOW i think) so we all took off .  first set was great and I really had fun with race is on.  

I started noticing that now that Skip is in the band, something is happening with the air texture in the room.  i NEVER experience this feeling except when hearing Phil himself and usually just during the really deep parts or the bombs (though I am sure what I am about to describe is exactly what ppl felt in the comparative size smaller venues back then!) but the AIR was THICK and you could FEEL it the whole show like his bass lines had created this constant tangible vibration that you could almost walk on or hold.  as I moved through it in amazement I noticed that what the other members were doing was wrapping in lower and higher around this middle vibration that allowed THIER notes to become tangible, too, impossible without what Skip was holding down.  I don't know what I am saying, but it was WILD.  (and hey, I blew my load in LA, I was SOBER at these shows!)

Gabe left a few songs into second set and I felt REALLY bad for him when the playin started.  i wasn't sure like everyone else of what show it was, but I KNEW it was gonna be one of those really really really intense 2nd sets so I allowed Gabe to go and enjoyed the huge extra dance space I was given most of the night! thank you TXR family!  

found myself between TomW and sonomajon for the 2nd set and I gotta say, guys, THAT was one of the best rail romps I've ever been a part of.  i love getting down with the boys!!! forums dork stars represent!!! lmao hahahaha.  (so many of you stay back!!!)

EYES AFTER that double decker, stella AND 2nd set sparkling el paso!?!?! are you KIDDING ME!?!?! ok, I'm in!! oh yeah, this is why THIS was my fave of the 2 nights.  cause you just can't beat this with a stick, man, it would break the damn stick before you even think about picking the stick up to swing it cause the power of manifestation is too fast for us to keep up with………. good grief, ya'll, did this 2nd set really happen!?!?! were we ever there at all!?!? whoa…..

the ujb to dew transfer was one of the most epic moments in musical history ever.  it wasn't even "clean" the reason it was so perfect is because they actually managed to ride the tide of chaos right into the sweet spot right on time and when I say the bottom fell out I mean like the whole ROOM shit their pants and came their shorts and wow, DSO, you get better every show!!!

by eyes I made it back to you, sweet santa cruz loves, and it was such a kind welcome home.  Gabe was in the car asleep, I had lots of room to dance on the other side, but I could see you kids doin it up out of the corner of my eye and by EYES I HAD to come spin my way through for a moment.  thank you.  thank you for bringing that energy.  I took it back with me to the other side and nearly cried from the power of it.  

i love this family.  i say family not because i am a dreadie tour kid with some delusion of deadheadness, (though that may be true, lmao!) but because since my first DSO show, YOU have ALL welcomed me with open arms and the love that only ones family can provide. through thick and thin, cold rain and snow, you have given the world to me.  I hope I can give it back to you, long as I live.

stella.  thank you. stella.  blue.  it all rolls into one.  nothing left to see.  but still, we hear that song…..

Briefly…

Way more energy for me night 2.  I enjoyed the first set and loved the 2nd.  This was also the first time I have ever known the show.  Me & My Uncle/Here Comes Sunshine made me think….. Denver Nov 73.  I had my venues wrong but I still knew the show.  I couldn’t wait for that Playin>UJB>Dew>UJB>Playin.  It was so good.  I’ll be checking its length if they release the show because I think it was longer than the original.  At least thats how it felt.  

Yea, that dew.  I’ve never been at a show where people were that quiet during a quiet part.  Some jackass yelled something for a second but he eventually fell in line.  So pretty, then thunderous.  

I didn’t know Sonomajon was on the other side of SVT.  I would have said hello.   You know, if every forum member could just wear a unicorn hat it would make it a lot easier for us to identify forum members and say hello.  Come on people!!!

Archived