Bittersweet Jubilee artcile

Tom Banjo

• Forum MVP

I think the key is that they would be first in line despite what happen to them. I know Janice. I know she goes above and beyond what is asked of her. She exceeds her duties as an employee and exemplifies good human behavior. The very humanity of what I think the community or culture is after.

http://www.jambands.com/the-loop/2014/08/22/in-praise-of-the-smaller-festival-dark-star-jubilee/

Great article!

Throughout the years the kindness surrounding this music has brought tears to my eyes, humbled me and has brought me at times to be introspective of what I bring to our society.

The greatest testament of righteousness I have personally experienced was in I think 1990- Cal Expo. I was at the first show and being in need of my "medicine" I was feeling very sick when a young woman strolls by and says "hey man you look like you are going through some changes". She sat down and I told her about my illness and that I only had enough money for about 24 hours worth of "medicine" on the west coast. She talked me into going to the med tent and I gave her $1200 dollars, all I had with me, and said it would be gone in a day anyway. She didn't want to take it but I insisted and told her if she sees me at another show she can give back whatever money is left. Some days later after the worst was over, I was at a show, not sure where, and heard my name being called from far away. I turned to see her running up to me with a hand full of hundreds, all $1200. I thanked her and tried to give her some for being so trustworthy but she refused anything. I talked her into taking a hundred to donate to either Greenpeace or Seva.

At a time that I felt so apart from any form of humanity she gave me a spark of goodness to hold onto.

Thank You again, wherever you are.

• Forum MVP

Fucking scumbag thieves.  Its the same thing as a home invasion.  They invaded tents and stole keys and wallets.  The sad thing is that many of these people go to jubilee just to steal or sell fake drugs and disappear. 

• Forum MVP

I once showed up to Milwaukee in February with just berkenstocks for my feet and no real winter jacket with the intention of sleeping in my car. Some kind members of this board put me up in their hotel room so I wouldn't freeze in the below freezing snowy conditions. One of many stories of forum kindness I can share.

• Forum MVP

There is nothing quite like the comradary and shared joy that this music creates for our 'tribe.'

Few if any pursuits create such kindness and respect amongst veritable strangers. People will give the shirts of their backs to pick up another. Sure this strange edict gets exploited from time to time but for the most part it binds us together in way that is difficult to express.

I love to see DSO being an important catalyst in keeping this philosophy of life alive - check that - Strong. It really does help me be the person I want/need to be!

• Forum MVP

Bought and lightly restored an old rv for the first jubilee and it broke down hard in Tennessee on the way. We (6 of us) rented a church van, went to wal mart and bought a tent and kept truckin. Got to legend valley 20 min before DSO hit the stage. Told our story that night to our neighbors in the rv section, word spread, and people from all over the lot were bringing us EVERYTHING we needed and more! Was the best festival experience ever despite the 7 inches of rain. Love, love, love the community.

• Forum MVP

My buddy and I showed up at the vibes one year and discovered we had forgot to pack the polls to the tent. We were easily able to trade some wares to share some space in a strangers tent. We still see those guys at the vibes and even caught up with one of then in the town I grew up in. He was passing through on work. Small world big community.

Archived