terrapin thoughts

GoingBackTo Where....

• Forum MVP

For so many years...I thought the soldier was wise. Though the teller makes no choice, the song does, as the soldier was wise. I realize now after decades, it was the sailor who was wise. Though he lost what was expressed as a promise...He fought survived and learned from his experience. That....and he has not given up hope of the power of love. He went into the Lions den in hope of expediting it again. I guess once u taste love, your willing to die for it again!!!

The soldier being much to wise....will live a life jaded and no hope of something better and more beautiful. With out hope...should I say love... The dream will never come true!!!

The soldier "came through many fights/but lost at love." He comes off as tactical, but too wise (cold in calculating, maybe) to fight for an intangible thing like love. To the cold and calculating, what is the value of a thing such as love? He probably has many spoils from the all of the fights he won, but for everything he has, he lacks the one thing the sailor does have--or at least did have. The sailor was daring enough to go into the lion's den, or "gave at least a try." He never got the fan, but he did get the lady. And, isn't that the point? The fan isn't what mattered. Although the love did not last. For reasons good or bad one cannot know. All you know is that "he loved her many years ago." So, it is up to you to decide if he was wise. Maybe the sailor made the wrong choice in the end...only to end up losing what he had risked his life to gain. Was the time he had her love worth it? He lost the fan but gained the lady. He lost the lady but got to Terrapin. Some rise, some fall, some climb...either way, we all get to Terrapin. To some the sailor is wise, to others the soldier. What do you value more? It does cost a lot to win and even more to lose, so it is worth it to spend time thinking about what to choose.

I like the dichotomies Hunter presents. I like to think of them as a subtle affirmation of free will. As much as his songs advocate choice in their interpretation, they advocate the ability for one to choose the kind of life that they will lead.

Sounds like you know which you would chose, Sun. I appreciate the thoughts.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

The beauty of the music, and the song writing and the covers chosen. They seem to have qualities that allow the song to remain the same, but the interpretation and emotional impact to change, rather...evolve with the person.

Finding more twist in my understanding of this music lately. And yes....it does take a lot to win....and so much more to lose. What a life statement!!!

Thanks for the dialog CM!!

Archived