Terrapin Crossroads and GAMH

crazyfingers

As a longtime fan of Dark Star Orchestra (and the Grateful Dead who I was fortunate to see 100’s of times), I am sincerely grateful for the way they transport me back in time to that magical space where crazy fingers write what for across the morning sky. This holy music is truly medicine for my soul. Thank you DSO!

The show at Terrapin Crossroads on Monday, April 6, was the most musically balanced and lyrically accessible of any show in memory. The two "bandanna guys", Barry Sless, who was sitting in on pedal steel and Rob Barroco created a sweet and solid stability that balanced the three guitars in the middle. The drums were powerful but subtle. Every instrument and voice was crystal clear.  The band was communicating in such a creative and nuanced way that tears came to my eyes. I could hear every note!  My ears got a most appreciated rest from the experience that I have had lately when the band plays electrically. I love bassist Skip, and he has brought a great energy to the band, but it he has become so loud in the mix that Jeff and Rob’s guitars have been turned up louder as well, and they seem to get progressively louder throughout each show.  Even with protection for my ears, the sound is sometimes so loud it is almost painful in the center of the center of the floor where I like to see the shows.

What a delight it was to spend the whole evening at Terrapin with my ears happily open to the incredible way these talented musicians recreated the music I love. I was in heaven!

I was so excited by that incredible show that I decided to go see DSO at the Great American Music Hall the next night. I seemed to remember good sound in that hall and I was looking forward to the possibility of a repeat performance.  Once again, however, I found my wax earplugs to be an absolute necessity. Although the band played some of my very favorite songs in the second set, the lack of balance in the sound on stage was very frustrating. My whole body shook with the bass. The guitars seemed to get louder and louder until not only couldn't I hear the keyboard, but even the drums seemed muted in the background.  It was almost as if the band consisted of two guitars and a bass.

Perhaps I am just more sensitive than others. I wonder if anyone else shares my concerns. Regardless, I feel very fortunate to have been present at the Crossroads that night, and hope to catch more acoustic shows in the future!  I will surely keep gong to electric shows as well, armed with my earplugs, with the hope that the guys with the strings turn it down so we can hear the keyboard and drums, and at the end of the night we can go home without feeling deaf! 

• Forum MVP

crazy,

I share your sentiments re: volume.  It's too loud for me as well, and even with ear protection it's on the edge (I use a product called "earWear" which is a middle ground solution between the crap you can buy at Walgreen's and having an audiologist make a custom mold).  I also like to be center and fairly close; hanging in the rear isn't a preferred option.  Moreover, you're right about the acoustic show allowing one to hear every band memeber just exactly perfect. That was stunning!  But I did hear everyone fine at GAMH other than Rob B, although I attribute that in part to being too close to the stage (and hell, who could hear Keith in '77 anyway  :)  ).

All that said, I think my hearing has become overly sensitive with age (not that I'm old per se, but I'm 49).  I wouldn't see any rock and roll show without ear protection today.  At Dead and JGB shows, I would have never considered it.  I do wonder how the musicians can do it night in and night out!

• Forum MVP

I always bring earplugs to any live show. I know my ears are more sensitive than most others. I'm 49 years old, with some tinnitis from years of drumming in bands, motorcycling and live shows. Once one has any hearing damage, the less tolerant he/she is to loud noise......it's a vicious cycle. These days I never ride my motorcycle, play my drums or attend a live show without hearing protection.

That being said, I love it that since Skip has joined the band FINALLY the bass is front and center where it belongs.....just as it should be! For me, GD music is bass-centric. No disrespect to Kevin (he's great), but the "Skip-zone" is where I like to hang at DSO shows these days.

I have, however, sometimes gotten annoyed at overly loud Weir/Eaton guitar in the mix.....not the 60's/70's material (love the red Gibson hollow body!), but the later stuff.....too shrill.

• Forum MVP

For me most shows aren't loud enough lol. But...each venue is completely different. Was in venues where the sound wasn't loud enoigh and in others where I cringed from a guitar so loud my ears hurt but that's rare and that was b/c I was 2 feet from the rear port on Jeff's monitor. So looks like we are all in agreement. Feel free to turn the volume up a few DBs. :)

• Forum MVP

For me most shows aren't loud enough lol. But...each venue is completely different. Was in venues where the sound wasn't loud enoigh and in others where I cringed from a guitar so loud my ears hurt but that's rare and that was b/c I was 2 feet from the rear port on Jeff's monitor. So looks like we are all in agreement. Feel free to turn the volume up a few DBs. :)

Security, security!!!! :-)

Archived