My Eternal quest to find Good Free Music

Billy DeLyon

So, in my Eternal quest to find quality music that I can download for FREE, I came across a few nuggets along the way.  Obviously I would imagine most of you know about archive.org.  Wonderful site that holds multitudes of Dark Star shows along with pretty much any other media downloads available.  A few years back I came across some cool podcasts.

1) Dead Air with Uncle John

https://archive.org/details/deadair881?&sort=-downloads&page=2

Some of you may be familiar with this, but there are about 500 podcasts of his show.  Lots of GD choice tracks along with interviews (I recall a Jeff Matheson interview on one) and other Dead related stuff.  I've downloaded a bunch of them and thrown them on my phone.  They're a little large, I think its around an hour show, but that means about 45min. of quality GD songs.  I usually fast forward through most of the talk and get straight to the music.  Not sure where this was out of, or if Uncle John is still plugging away.

2) Rory Gallagher

https://archive.org/details/RORYGALLGHER-LONDON1974

All I gotta say in WOW!.  For you blues lovers out there.  I'm not an expert by any means but if you've never heard or Rory Gallagher, check this out!.  Rory was an Irish Blues Rock guitarist who was insane on the strings.  I watched a documentary on him which was really cool.  He was a rock god who played all over during some crazy time.  He died in 1995 at 47.  He didn't get over to the US much so he wasn't that big in the states but had a Huge following.  Check out the sample show.  I think the announcer is that Jools Holland guy from the UK which adds some energy to his intros.  Beware of Tattoed Lady & Walk on Hot Coals.  Some serious Rock music

3) A.King & SRV

And last but not least, Blues at Sunrise.  How many guitar licks does it take to Melt your Face??  Find out on this youtube clip.  Stevie Ray Vaughan amazes along with his long time buddy Albert King on this track.  Stevie plays the roll of Jimi Hendrix on this clip while Albert narrates a story about jamming at the Filmore back in the day with Janis Joplin.  Some of the sickest guitar work I've ever heard. 

Download and enjoy

• Forum MVP

As long as we're here: Roy Buchanan esp. his quiet and yet blistering at times HEY JOE,  in talking with Ike Willis about when he was touring with Frank Zappa, Roy opened for their 1978 tour. A lot of times Ike will close his show with a Roy style Hey Joe. Roy is soooo mellow and soulful, it's terrible he was found hung in a jail cell on a domestic violence charge, what a loss. We ran some AKG 460's on his Little Bear show in Evergreen, Colo during his last year of 1988. I find out what is around also through www.sugarmegs.org esp if some band is on tour and I want to see what setlists are looking like. We are in some great times where original tapers have given us access to material that would otherwise have taken a very thin thread of a chance for us to listen too.

Archived