meet me at the movies

gtodeadhead

• Forum MVP

Yes Dr B, I have experienced everything you have written about being at the meet ups. However, the flipside of just sitting there and watching (still FEELING the music of course) is that I feel like I get to see band interactions and on stage nuance that I've never really experienced before with the GD. Last year's late 80's show was amazing to watch most of the whole thing shot within 20' of the musicians...I think that is cool and makes going to the meet up worth my time.

This year, since it is a repeat and also a movie that most of us have probably seen well over a dozen times, it kind of makes my point less relevant,,,and  it turns out I won't be making it this year due to some other plans brewed up.

But I hear ya on the awkwardness of being amongst other deadheads in a rather non-participatory, lackluster way. 

The previous year's there have been plenty of vaporizing going down in the theaters out this way...😄

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
On 4/2/2017 at 5:04 PM, Dr. Barry said:

My issue with the movie meet ups is that in the Chicago area you get a theater that is usually no more than half full (often less) with the sound at a low volume and nobody dancing. Nobody moving. Nothing. Every now and then a brave soul let's out a yell or a shriek. A clap. A little yelp. At the end the crowd gives their polite applause to the screen and goes home. 

You might say "well why don't you just get up and lead the way?". And you would be right in asking that. I ask myself the same thing. I want to do it but I just haven't gotten there yet. You know I have put myself out there at shows, and in that milieu I can do it. But being the only one in a movie theater? Not sure if I would be the catalyst or the clown. Or both. 

I would so much rather these meet ups be held at small venues with simple screens and good sound systems where people are there to dance and have fun. It just doesn't work out in a fancy movie theater with plush seats, no dance floor  and popcorn. I imagine it does work out for the bottom line in a corporate sense though. Oh well, all things being equal if I am free that evening I will go. I will sit there. I will tell myself to get up and dance. I will tell myself that others will follow. I will feel the tension. And then I will just stay seated....

Dr. B

This is my experience except that there are 7 people in the theater and half likely went in the wrong theater.  P town ain't exactly dead central. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

The Kabuki Theater in Japan Town in SF announced today they're showing the movie. It's a reserved seating venue, and I snagged 5th row center seats.  It's a little 150 person theater.  We have a Sushi bar reserved a block away for pre-show.  And food and beverage are served in the Kabuki.  I love it when a good plan comes together out of the blue!

Curious to see what the Barton Hall mini-doc is all about.

Archived