Caverns #2 5/21/22

Message added by Rude,

Set Type
JGB Style
Set List
Set One: How Sweet It Is ; Catfish John ; That's What Love Will Do For You ; I'll Take A Melody; I Second That Emotion ; Mystery Train ; Tough Mama ; Box Of Rain 

Set Two: Cats Under The Stars ; The Way You Do The Things You Do ; Hard To Handle ; Mission In The Rain ; Midnight Moonlight ; The Harder They Come ; I Want To Tell You > Don't Let Go > Tangled Up In Blue 

Encore: My Sisters And Brothers 
Show Notes
Band was Jeff Mattson, Rob Barraco, Skip Vangelas, Dino English. 

• Forum MVP
34 minutes ago, Greg from Chestertown said:

Interesting. Overrated? 

it’s a nice novelty but it’s always wet and dripping from the ceiling and that board DSO uses has no replacement. It’s a one of a kind. Cotter protects that thing like a newborn. Dew and condensation is not its friend. He takes it apart and cleans it a lot to keep it alive, but I think there were only 25 of those made or something like that. Maybe it’s 25 left in existence. Conversations over time become blurred but the overall take was that it can’t be replaced. 

and that’s not even mentioning stage equipment.  They were finishing up making a permanent outdoor stage when we were there. Outdoor seems the way to go. 

1 hour ago, Rude said:

Outdoor seems the way to go. 

I thought The Caverns Above Ground shows last year had a bit of a magical vibe going, and I'd like to see a show there without the pods restrictions. Plus it was about a month earlier which is the sweet spot for springtime weather in TN. There's also the Bonnaroo farm facilities a mere 25 miles away in Manchester...

Got to pull for keeping a few shows in Tennessee somehow! Ryman anyone???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP

The Ryman is my least favorite indoor venue. It is impossible to dance in those church pews. The back of your leg is touching your pew and the front of your leg is touching the back of the pew in front of you. If you are unlucky enough to be in one of the back 8 rows on the 1st floor you cannot see the PA’s which means you can’t hear them and you get your sound from these tiny little speakers hanging from the balcony which is maybe 10 feet above your head. The only place to dance in the Ryman is in the balcony behind the seated area. That place is made to sit and watch music. The sound is great in the balcony area. There’s a tiny bit more leg room in the balcony vs downstairs where there’s none. I saw Bobby there and was 2nd to last row lower level and I had to duck down to see his face as the balcony obstructed my view being 6’4”. Ever since that show every time at the Ryman we just go upstairs. Saw panic accoustic there with Billy strings joining them. That was cool. Then Billy came upstairs to watch the rest of the show and he was hounded walking to his seat. I’m like let the guy enjoy the show for god sakes. Panic was playing and he was surrounded by people trying to take pics with him with music playing, not even during a break. Geez. Price of stardom I guess. The furthest I’ve gone as a star fucker was nodding my head to Phil who was 5 feet away during jazz fest in a small club. Peeps need some peace. That shit helped contribute to Jerry’s death. 

• Like (+1) 1

Fair point, but for the dozen or so aristocrats on the front row center balcony with unobstructed view, extra space to dance and the sweetest sound mix, it's a little slice of heaven. 😇

I've got to admit that I've spent most of my time dancing back and forth in that semicircle around the back of the balcony. i don't mess the floor. Balcony be better!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Forum MVP
4 hours ago, UncleJohnsHand said:

I thought The Caverns Above Ground shows last year had a bit of a magical vibe going, and I'd like to see a show there without the pods restrictions. Plus it was about a month earlier which is the sweet spot for springtime weather in TN. There's also the Bonnaroo farm facilities a mere 25 miles away in Manchester...

Those were really fun shoes - podz n all.  I feel like we could really stretch our legs without worrying about proximity 

• Like (+1) 1