11-14-23 Davenport Iowa

Dharmada

11/29/81 Civic Arena

Set 1

Shakedown Street-> Greatest Story Ever Told, Friend Of The Devil-> CC Rider, Candyman, Me & My Uncle-> Big River, Althea, Looks Like Rain, Might As Well

Set 2

Samson & Delilah, Ship of Fools, Lost Sailor-> Saint Of Circumstance-> He's Gone-> Drums-> Truckin'-> Black Peter-> Satisfaction, E: U.S. Blues

Filler: You Ain’t Woman Enough

The venue was just renovated and it looks great. I would say it was only half full. The energy was great though. The Shakedown kickoff was electric.

They said it was their first time in Davenport but some in the crowd said “2003!”  

Edited by Dharmada
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Forum MVP

Well I suck at using the forums now.... Didn't mean to quote, can't get rid of it.... Whatever.

So, we made it to the show! Stood outside as crowd gathered and played banjo and my mandolin w no E strings- Jesse ended up just scaring the hippies since they didn't care anyway- did have one kid harmonica jam w us and his girl played a mean tambourine ;) it was chilly for fingers anyway, so we went in.

Found a spot near front and as they tuned, dude in front of us hollered "shakedown" and he wasn't disappointed! Right into GSET and that's about when I remembered how to dance- even cleared a lil space from the youngins to flail a bit. 

They slowed it down a bit for FOTD and I floated thru the CC rider, which by this point had me guessing '81. Oh, boy, and I was right cause I still know how to play the game!!!

Candyman was gorgeous and exploding and I remembered why I used to do this every night!!!!

Uncle river was a hoot and the Althea was swooning and tasty. LLR melted my face off and I almost tasted the rain pouring down... And I wasn't the only one! Might as well took us to set break with a banging of bells and I couldn't be happier to finally be home!

Luckily, our money came thru from Jesse's work that morning so we grabbed a few beers and a top balcony spot for second set- Jesse was tired and I needed more space to actually dance!!! Some younger boys with fresh patches and adorable overalls chatted w us and one even touched the bottom of my foot (my feet were flung over the seat in front of me at the edge of the uppermost balcony rail) and told me "you're feet sure are dirty" to which I informed him, "yes, that's from dancing barefoot down there" and he laughed cause they had been beside us for first set and apparently also now realized it was time for some space upstairs lol.

Samson started off second set with a roar and I was stoked to finally be away from the crowd with room to move- which I took full advantage of. Kids beside me also had plenty of room so by ship of fools we were sailing together away from those to which we lend no hand. Jeff got way into it, super on point and weighted!!! 

Good thing the anchor was dropped cause the sailor saint woulda had me outta body under slightly different personal circumstances lol. Freaking fabulous!!!! Close enough to pretend, my ass. That was the real thing.

So at this point I know we're gonna end up shoving drums space into a he's gone truckin sandwich and I got down for the cause. They did that marvelous soulful mostly a capella breakdown DSO has perfected in the he's gone and I almost cried but was too joyful to be leaking. Took a breather til truckin but the lil dance pit in the front left did their job and those kids raged the shit outta drums and space for all of us. 

Truckin got me out on the floor all alone (Jesse fell asleep- poor fella had been up since 4am and scaring hippies takes it all outta him- we didn't play our pirate song cause it woulda been too much, but our setlist is kinda scary and he has to scream so much.... LMAO) and the black peter had me finally completely gone from the theatre and floating/dancing in another world of sound and lights. It lasted forever and I didn't wanna come back. But that's why we can't get no satisfaction!!! A flame through the dark and spitting fire, hey hey hey. That was the stuff!!!! With a silly ol US Blues to take us home. So perfect!

Glad Lisa came out to do us a solid. She really belted it and had fun with it and the woman enough sealed the night in gusto. So grateful for such a joyous night.

Coming home was easy. Thank you, all of you, that make this home and carry it on your backs and in your hearts cause knowing home is always there and getting to come back, if just for one night, was comforting in ways I didn't know the world could still soothe.... Well, maybe not the world, but DSO is the only band that does what they do and that still means the world to me. Fuckin love all you, kids, thank you for a real good time. Will try not to be all night long coming home next time ;) kiss kiss

On 11/14/2023 at 8:33 PM, Dharmada said:

• Like (+1) 4