Rant Alert: New Dave's Picks release (Frost '85)

John A

• Forum MVP

The latest official release is both '85 Frost shows. Let me make two things clear off the bat - it's cool that rather than the more typical 3 CD single show release there's a 4th CD here and it's 2 shows.  Also, I'm one of the weird freaks who thinks actually collecting this stuff on media you can touch, with photos and the like, is a worthy thing. That said...

I'm fine with an encore at the end of a disc after a 1st set should that be the way to get material to fit on what's obviously antiquated media (CDs). And moreover I put all this on a hard drive where all is in its rightful order. But...

4/27/85 Frost features a 2nd set opening sequence of Scarlet -> Eyes -> GDTRFB.  The Eyes into Goin' Down The Road is rare enough, happening only 2 other times.  Both, I suppose unsurprisingly, were also in '85. But Scarlet Eyes is a one off, and the 3 song Jerry set 2 opener is, please pardon the pun, eye opening. 🤨

Lemieux produces these things, so it's all on him; Scarlet -> Eyes is presented at the end of the set 1 disc. Eyes winds down into an "oh man what a sequence" transition into GDTRFB.  After allowing the listener to be teased with it and grasp the first few bars of GDTRFB, the disc fades and the set resumes on disc 2.  YOU CAN'T DO THAT! NO, NO, NO! This isn't some unfortunate cassette flip we're talking about.  Come on, man!

OK, rant over, but it hit me hard enough to write this post. Don't worry though, I already knew I need help. 😳

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

• Forum MVP

Yeah, you're absolutely right. WTF's up 4 CDs not being the four sets that were played?

I felt similar when the Down Hill From Here DVD had the first and third Alpine shows as one DVD.  That ruled out releasing all songs from all three shows.

I think the Hartford 77 official CD release has a weird, stupid break of songs from different sets like this Frost 85. Encores, yes; however, each set should be it's own entity. Esp when these Frost boards have been around since 87. This merits a rant

• Forum MVP

Being a 85 lover, I was thrilled when they announced

this release.  Also agree that triad should not have 

split up.  Even with digital ordering, the transition, while

nothing earth shaking, needs to be clean. Thankful

Dave maximizes every cd released, this one would

have been better with OO>Day Job filling the first

cd and cd2 starting with the Scarlet.

Praise DSO.