Fillmore, overall review...COSMIC!

lookyloo

• Forum MVP

ok, pulled a "Gopin" this morning and left SFO on the 6:20am Frontier flight to Denver, you know you're in for a flight when 45 min in the attendant comes on the microphone...."attention in the cabin, is there a Medical Professional on board???". We took off 45 min late and landed ontime due to the pilot declaring a medical emergency and during the landing we powered down from 40,000 feet to 9000 in under 5 minutes and were at the gate in under a minute. Paramedics came onboard, took off the guy with the problem(never found out what it was) and we're home!!! Heather and I had a super-fantastic time, the band was on fire, tons of core Starhead's in attendance, and a very mellow tone set by security.

Thursday started out super, the Rex Benefit went off without a hitch, granted I didn't get to join in the upstairs festivities until I was done with the door, but everyone seemed in high spirits. The music Thursday was inspirational, I felt very privilaged to see Weir on stage with DSO again, I hope it happens again and again. Wound up with a little corner nook in the back and filled it with as many friendly faces as possible. The crowd was great, not overly packed, all in all a great fanbase.

Heather and I walked on the Wharf on Friday, had nearly a 2lb dungeness crab from Guardino's, took the USS Pampanito Sub tour, it was FANTASTIC, I highly reccomend it, but if you have any type of clostrophobia...skip it. We then met up with Row Jimmy and Row Lisa, did some more walking, drank my 4th cup of coffee by 10am, and made our way over to House of Nan King for lunch. It's not often that I eat with someone who has as much of a chinese food fetish as I, but Row Lisa is my match, having travelled Asia all over, she know's her shit, and she LOVED NAN KING!!!! I think between Row Jimmy, Row Lisa, Heather and I we had 57lbs of food, then it was time for more coffee.

The show mood on Friday was a bit more tense, fanwise that is, as the show got started. It was clear from the get-go that there were way more people inside than the night before and it got crowded real quick, and then the talking started. Wholly shit batman, why do people pay for a concert, come inside late, then take up places infront of kind people who took the time to get in early to only have conversations over the music??? I did a way to get them to stop talking. In lieu of yelling "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" I decided to be diplomatic about it, I kindly said to the talker..."I feel like all I can hear is your conversation in my ear" and it actually worked.

Saturday the crowd was the same, it was packed, and everyone needed a shower :wacko: Had our corner spot in the back locked up and got invaded by the Rainbow-esq crowd of sweaty, shirtless, dred lock guys, who would start a 6 person hug and then just jump and wave their arms, not my thing, and not very nice for other fans. The music, OMG, DSO is a band beyond description, they really are.

All in all, smiles were everywhere you could see. The music filled us up and we left happy and fat. To my friends, it was so great to see you all again. I'll forget some, don't hold it against me:

Row Jimmmy and Row lisa, you'll not ever meet 2 finer people on the planet, if heart's come in Gold....THEN JIM AND LISA'S ARE PLATINUM!!!

My Brother's Chirstophe and Josed, I love you guys more than you know, thank you for making Heather feel like part of the family.

The Biscuitts, what can I say, you guys rock (just keep that new friend of yours from talking during the show :blush:

Chuck "Rick Flair" Vegas...that's some hair brother!!!

Sonomajon, great to meet you brother.

Tim from the Fillmore, great job

Jersey Steve, you rock bro, you really do. If anyone needs something to do before a DSO show, you should write to Steve and tell him where you're going, I'd be he can find 5 great things for you do!! Get his CD now before it's $49.99 on Amazon.com.

To my Heather, many more great times to come darling, many more, welcome to the club!!!!

To the members of Dark Star Orchestra, almost 8 years I'm on this bus...8 years, you get better everytime I hear you play. You all embody my belief that whatever you are today, you have the potential to be MORE tomorrow.

THANK YOU DSO, thank you for such a wonderful weekend...THANK YOU!!!

--------------------

Don't let the rants below fool you, I had such a fantastic time this weekend, I'm gitty with excitment for Boulder next week.

2 side notes(rants) first about the young trying teach lessons to the old (me) and next about protecting little ones hearing.

Late Saturday Heather and I were wondering around and made our way down the side bar to just take a look up front. We were very respectful, didn't stand infront of anyone who had space, and patiently weaved through. When we were continuing our wonder to the back, we walked past the bar again but there were these 4 or 5 young girls, standing in a horizontal line to our path, space behind them to walk was totally open, I mean it was infront of the bar, people walk there. We came upon their "wall" and I polietly said "excuse us" and she just stood there looking at me, didn't move. I said "excuse us, may we get past?" and she says "ok" but still doesn't move an inch, then one of her friends says in a rude tone "what's the magic word?" Ok, I'm sorry, I'm 37, I've raised an almost 13 year old boy ON MY OWN, I've seen the Dead over 150 times in 7 different countries, I've seen DSO more times than I can count, and I'm on the end of a 3 day whirlwind great time with little to no sleep. Maybe had things been different my reply would not have been the same but I took a breath, smiled, and said "Excuse us...please....GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY!!!" Guess it proves you can take the head out of NY but you can't take NY out of the head.

Now, if you FUCKING BRING YOUR CHILD TO A CONCERT BRING HEARING PROTECTION FOR THEM!!! I can't be your fucking father and can't protect every little kid, you have to protect your own children. There happened to be in incident, long story short, but afterwards I got a thumbs up from Kid and a thank you from a woman observing my interaction with this "parent". It's CHILD ABUSE people, you bring your 5 year old, put him on your shoulders and walk inside the auditorium while the music is blasting....ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE??? Then to argue with someone who was only asking that your child put in hearing protection, FUCK YOU!!! Shit I even offered to put the plugs in the kid if they needed help.

• Forum MVP
Had our corner spot in the back locked up and got invaded by the Rainbow-esq crowd of sweaty, shirtless, dred lock guys, who would start a 6 person hug and then just jump and wave their arms, not my thing, and not very nice for other fans.

Yeah, I think I saw this group you describe on the way out of the show Saturday night. You'd have thought you were at a Dead show or something. :D

On other note about the "scene"...how awesome it is that one can walk in, no line, 30 minutes before show time, and after the door have been open for some time, only to stroll to the stage and comfortably assume a spot just 2 rows behind the rail directly in front of John K. It never got overly crowded in that spot, and there was no issue with talkers whatsoever. Hell, at an Oakland Coliseum Dead run you'd need to leave the previous night's show during the encore to line up for "priority tickets" to secure such a spot! :blink:

Guest captain420
ok, pulled a "Gopin" this morning and left SFO on the 6:20am Frontier flight to Denver, you know you're in for a flight when 45 min in the attendant comes on the microphone...."attention in the cabin, is there a Medical Professional on board???". We took off 45 min late and landed ontime due to the pilot declaring a medical emergency and during the landing we powered down from 40,000 feet to 9000 in under 5 minutes and were at the gate in under a minute. Paramedics came onboard, took off the guy with the problem(never found out what it was) and we're home!!! Heather and I had a super-fantastic time, the band was on fire, tons of core Starhead's in attendance, and a very mellow tone set by security.

Thursday started out super, the Rex Benefit went off without a hitch, granted I didn't get to join in the upstairs festivities until I was done with the door, but everyone seemed in high spirits. The music Thursday was inspirational, I felt very privilaged to see Weir on stage with DSO again, I hope it happens again and again. Wound up with a little corner nook in the back and filled it with as many friendly faces as possible. The crowd was great, not overly packed, all in all a great fanbase.

Heather and I walked on the Wharf on Friday, had nearly a 2lb dungeness crab from Guardino's, took the USS Pampanito Sub tour, it was FANTASTIC, I highly reccomend it, but if you have any type of clostrophobia...skip it. We then met up with Row Jimmy and Row Lisa, did some more walking, drank my 4th cup of coffee by 10am, and made our way over to House of Nan King for lunch. It's not often that I eat with someone who has as much of a chinese food fetish as I, but Row Lisa is my match, having travelled Asia all over, she know's her shit, and she LOVED NAN KING!!!! I think between Row Jimmy, Row Lisa, Heather and I we had 57lbs of food, then it was time for more coffee.

The show mood on Friday was a bit more tense, fanwise that is, as the show got started. It was clear from the get-go that there were way more people inside than the night before and it got crowded real quick, and then the talking started. Wholly shit batman, why do people pay for a concert, come inside late, then take up places infront of kind people who took the time to get in early to only have conversations over the music??? I did a way to get them to stop talking. In lieu of yelling "SHUT THE FUCK UP!" I decided to be diplomatic about it, I kindly said to the talker..."I feel like all I can hear is your conversation in my ear" and it actually worked.

Saturday the crowd was the same, it was packed, and everyone needed a shower :wacko: Had our corner spot in the back locked up and got invaded by the Rainbow-esq crowd of sweaty, shirtless, dred lock guys, who would start a 6 person hug and then just jump and wave their arms, not my thing, and not very nice for other fans. The music, OMG, DSO is a band beyond description, they really are.

All in all, smiles were everywhere you could see. The music filled us up and we left happy and fat. To my friends, it was so great to see you all again. I'll forget some, don't hold it against me:

Row Jimmmy and Row lisa, you'll not ever meet 2 finer people on the planet, if heart's come in Gold....THEN JIM AND LISA'S ARE PLATINUM!!!

My Brother's Chirstophe and Josed, I love you guys more than you know, thank you for making Heather feel like part of the family.

The Biscuitts, what can I say, you guys rock (just keep that new friend of yours from talking during the show :blush:

Chuck "Rick Flair" Vegas...that's some hair brother!!!

Sonomajon, great to meet you brother.

Tim from the Fillmore, great job

Jersey Steve, you rock bro, you really do. If anyone needs something to do before a DSO show, you should write to Steve and tell him where you're going, I'd be he can find 5 great things for you do!! Get his CD now before it's $49.99 on Amazon.com.

To my Heather, many more great times to come darling, many more, welcome to the club!!!!

To the members of Dark Star Orchestra, almost 8 years I'm on this bus...8 years, you get better everytime I hear you play. You all embody my belief that whatever you are today, you have the potential to be MORE tomorrow.

THANK YOU DSO, thank you for such a wonderful weekend...THANK YOU!!!

--------------------

Don't let the rants below fool you, I had such a fantastic time this weekend, I'm gitty with excitment for Boulder next week.

2 side notes(rants) first about the young trying teach lessons to the old (me) and next about protecting little ones hearing.

Late Saturday Heather and I were wondering around and made our way down the side bar to just take a look up front. We were very respectful, didn't stand infront of anyone who had space, and patiently weaved through. When we were continuing our wonder to the back, we walked past the bar again but there were these 4 or 5 young girls, standing in a horizontal line to our path, space behind them to walk was totally open, I mean it was infront of the bar, people walk there. We came upon their "wall" and I polietly said "excuse us" and she just stood there looking at me, didn't move. I said "excuse us, may we get past?" and she says "ok" but still doesn't move an inch, then one of her friends says in a rude tone "what's the magic word?" Ok, I'm sorry, I'm 37, I've raised an almost 13 year old boy ON MY OWN, I've seen the Dead over 150 times in 7 different countries, I've seen DSO more times than I can count, and I'm on the end of a 3 day whirlwind great time with little to no sleep. Maybe had things been different my reply would not have been the same but I took a breath, smiled, and said "Excuse us...please....GET THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY!!!" Guess it proves you can take the head out of NY but you can't take NY out of the head.

Now, if you FUCKING BRING YOUR CHILD TO A CONCERT BRING HEARING PROTECTION FOR THEM!!! I can't be your fucking father and can't protect every little kid, you have to protect your own children. There happened to be in incident, long story short, but afterwards I got a thumbs up from Kid and a thank you from a woman observing my interaction with this "parent". It's CHILD ABUSE people, you bring your 5 year old, put him on your shoulders and walk inside the auditorium while the music is blasting....ARE YOU FUCKING INSANE??? Then to argue with someone who was only asking that your child put in hearing protection, FUCK YOU!!! Shit I even offered to put the plugs in the kid if they needed help.

Priceless! :rofl:

GREAT synopsis of the wonderful weekend had by all at the Fillmore, Looky!!! I will add that we are back safe and sound and still floating on the DSO high -- the KIDS played their hearts out and the final finale w/ Keller was hyper, so glad he made it!!

Josed and I had a nooner flight but the flight was overbooked so the NICE lady at United offered to fly us back to Santa Fe via LA and give us two free tickets sooo... we said sure and got back only an hour later than originally scheduled with two free tixys!!

Great to see the 'core' Family who could make it and meet some fun new folks along the way too, especially the couple we met at the SFMOMA looking at the trippy Olafur Elliason exhibit with us, glad to meet you and maybe see ya in LA, yep... I think I'll buzz out to LA this weekend for the El Ray shows and of course I'll be in Colorado.

Looky, it was wonderful having dinner with you and Heather, you two seem like a good team and Josed and I wish you the best on your new adventure! Also, we were VERY impressed that you tried your first raw oyster with us at dinner... good to be an adventurous eater my friend!!! Say 'Hey' to Jonah.

Josed says 'BIG HUG to all'!!

Again, THANK YOU DSO FOR A GREAT SET OF SHOWS!! We love you all very much... your occasionally crazy but always grateful friends... Christophe n Josed

Guest rowjimmy

Very nice write-up Looky, thank you for the kind words.

If I may add that our brother Looky can exhibit some very fine driving skills. We had the honor of being in the car with him as he whipped around from the Wharf to Haight to Chinatown. He can spot a parking spot from 5 blocks away...on the other side of the street.......No Problem!! And no, you can't take the NY out of the Head...FUCK those chicks that wouldn't get out of your way....lol

Good times on the Fillmore run. Hands down the best time Rowlisa and I have had listening to live music along with all of our good friends in attendance...NJ Steve, Chuck, Emma, NWNJ Steve but Alex991sc was missed...please fogive me if I've left out anyone...

At least I'm enjoying the ride...

Amen to that, and all the above...now to detox in Vegas and then onward to SoCal and CO...

Hmmmm Chuck,

Detox in Vegas...It's sort like an oxymoron! Great to finally meet you down there! What a time it was...The band in it's infinite glory is kicking on all cylinders. All members looked real happy up there all weekend..The weather was stunning...Saw Hornsby on Sat at the park under the deep blue autmnal skies...About the only misgiving I have is not seeing Lisa up there the last couple nights. I love her presence on stage and what she brings to the vibe...Maybe it was a little rough after Bobby basically took over her mic the first night(kidding)...Looky great to meet you too bro...So many friends down there...some new some from my touring days of 76-82 (My first daughter born in 83'). I'm finding 5 don't quite recover as quickly these days but seeing DSO brings out the young at heart part of me. So big thanks for the band for bringing it so strong every night...not sure how you guys do it! If I was to pick a favorite night it might be Thursday...The Sugaree from that night really took me over the rainbow and set the tone for the whole night...Cannot wait to hear that again...Second night Morning Dew was monstrous as well...and Cumberland and Liberty the last night were absolutely ripping!! I have half a mind to get my ass on a plane from SF to LA...Once again much love to everyone and safe travels to you all..

Namaste'

Jon

I expected Monday morning to hit hard, but really I woke feeling refreshed and re- energized!!! Words usually escape me after a weekend like I just had, so I'm not going to torture myself by starring at a blank screen trying to come up with something profound to explain how I feel about this band and community.

So I'll say this.... DSO you all work so hard, I never feel disappointment only gratitude for feeling the magic once again!!! Each and every one of you give us all you have and for that I will always be grateful. You take your job seriously and it shows!!! An elective or second time around all I can do is smile smile smile!!! As for Lisa, I really did miss hearing more from her, it's the strangest thing, now, even when she's not on stage I can hear her belting it out!!! It's like my brain just adds her in!!!

I've seen other shows before that I'd been to the first time around, but this time not only did I get to hear, feel, and see the magic again I was lucky enough to dance with one of my dearest friends that had lived through it with me the first time and that brought so many memories back that I'm still surprised I didn't cry the whole way through!!! When we first ran into each other she said "you look so happy" (things have been a bit up and down in my world lately) all I could do was smile and say, well.... yeah here I never have trouble being happy, this is my home, religion, and church!!!

So as for the community..... I"ll have to come back, I'm late....

now as for the community......

Wow, I feel so blessed to know so many wonderful people all feeling the music! Chuck, Mike,and Lisa, so much fun!!! Thanks for all the laughs!!! We WALKED all over that damn city and not always by choice. Anyone else have a hard time hailing cabs on Sat.??? UGH!!! Finally after the park we were finally able to start experiencing the cab life!!! It probably should have been our first clue to get the hell out of that cab when all we could smell was burnt rubber. Shit that cabby was crabby!!! With some serious anger issues!!! Then next guy he won the award for being the nicest of course he was giving us a sales pitch on some ...organic honey bars.... and had probably learned that nice works a lot better than crabby!!! Chuck and I were both expecting our free samples but no such luck. Now the Town car dude, he was the calmest and boy was I thankful for that relaxing drive home!!! And lastly as we headed to the show the guy who looked at the 5 of us and let us all pile in anyway risking a ticket to get us to the show!!!

Chuck, and Lisa it was such a treat to hang with you!!! Mike great to get to know you more, RowJimmy and Lisa you rock and so does your jewelry!!! Prescott no words to describe your awesomeness! Heather great to meet you, can't wait til we can hang some more, Looky always good to see your smiling face... Lauren and Kyle awesome to dance with you. Ugh I know there are some many more. (feel like I'm recieving an award, who else am I supposed to mention???) Everyone!!!! For all the smiles, dancing, and laughs!!! And for those of you that weren't there. I MISSED you!!!

So many memories. so little time......

smiles, emma

San Francisco and some of its surrounding areas are special in their own right; but, for Deadheads these places are hallowed and worthy of a pilgrimage. I had been to San Fran before and even seen a show at the Fillmore Auditorium (Sage Francis), but having the opportunity to experience DSO do shows at a place where the Dead not only made music but also history seemed a no-brainer. All the elements of success were in place; and, YES, the stars had aligned.

Thursday was mind-blowing! Bob Weir then David Gans and then Martin Fierro jammed with the band lending a nice touch to an already special evening. Seeing, hearing, feeling Weir join in on the first set, particularly The Other One, made me imagine what it might have been like forty years ago and how truly lucky we are to have musicians who selflessly come together to produce music that makes us feel "all the years combine... [and] melt into a dream!" I can't help think and feel that DSO and members of the DEAD have taken the "bus" and upgraded it into a rocket ship!

Friday and Saturday shows continued where Thursday's show left off: two Hampton Coliseum shows from October 1989. Not having seen the Dead that much after Jerry's coma in '86, it was a real treat to experience what those shows might have been like. The shows at the Hampton in '89 were glimpses of the greatness that have kept the Dead and its fan base invigorated, and I am glad that DSO chose to perform them back-to-back (son of a gun DON'T change your act!!!).

Overall, the trip seemed more a rite of passage than a casual jaunt.

THANK YOU DSO FOR ALL YOU DO!!!

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

my wife & me got back early this morning,got up to go to work on a couple hours of sleep .Spent a couple of extra days out in san fran then went up to stinsen beach& pt. reyes. Beautiful part of the country. I can't add anything that hasen"t been said already just that all the people that my family met were all so wonderful which makes it that much more enjoyable.I thought my heart was gonna pop during Jack straw.The build up on that & sugeree were just too amazing.That one will not be forgotten.This whole year theres been alot of amazing shows that have been played starting with the sat. rams head right on thru to this past weekend.Been blessed to have witnessed it all.Peace-steve

Archived