Drums

Not Fade Away

Stella Blue

Around And Around

Good Lovin'

Encore:

Don't Ease Me In

Filler: Mr. Charlie

What a show, high energy from the first note! About half way thru the second set I was convinced it was 9/6/79 (My first Dead Show), but the Around and Around convinced me I was wrong. Bertha started out with some Mic trouble but was quickly fixed and when John's voice hit the walls the crowd exploded! Looking forward to tonight and I am hoping to see more of Lisa tonight. Anyway, Peace and have some good times this upcoming year.

Joe

Looks like a great show, Gang! Sorry I missed it... and all of you...

However, duty called... ended up going into the restaurant last night... and looks like I'll be there again tonight...

Normally, I work Sun & Mon; however, I'd requested off so that I could truck it on down to VA... meet up with Fred and some other peeps...

So much for that! At least it's due to something important... and not some BS reason to call me in...

Hope you guys have a grate time... and I'll see everyone in Baltimore on NYE...

FRED >>> Did you have plans to go to the NJ show tomorrow? Please let me know your travel plans, OK? If you need me to come grab you from somewhere... let me know, OK? Also, we're planning on being at the venue on Wednesday around Noon so that we can set-up, and start cooking.

*** LOVE ***

• Forum MVP

definitely sounds like it was a ripping show all the way around. Great setlist, wish I was there!

Great first set selections and then...

...Stranger - Franklin's - Sailor - Saint - Terrapin

...and a Mr. Charlie filler too! Those who attended were truly blessed with this fine '81 perferformance!

All I can say is W o W , and hope somebody puts the show up on either archive or etree soon!!!

what do you say tapers? anyone got this fine show ready to upload?!

:dsorocks:

Guest Rob Eaton

You know what's funny. We had a guy write the band this morning who said "the song selection after the break was poor and the drums came to quick". It just goes to show one man gathers what another man spills!

i was at the show and it was so awesome.. everyone was on! High energy is right! the second set was just SO fine.. the lost sailor / saint of circumstance and the stella blue were so sweet.

My only regret was personal.. that being that, since that was our new year's eve I was so blotto by the end of the show that I was talking to everyone but making no sense.. sorry to whoever had to put up with THAT :mellow: !

After paying the cabbie for a roughly 60 buck ride home, I left myself wondering why i didn't just get a hotel room.. when we got up the moring and realized the car was parked on the street we were sure we'd comppounded that with a ticket...BUT the fates smiled and all that and as we pulled away from the curb the ticket dudette was just coming around the corner!

BUT, great show.. and that venue is just so great.! We saw reconstituted YES there a few weeks back and it was so laid back and ez to deal with, even sold out it was not a crowd hassle..

ANYway, thanks folks for the great great show... and sorry again for the babbling.. :blush:

tk

Guest captain420

Was there a soundcheck?

A quarter of the Bertha was barely audible, once things got corrected the crowd soared! So not a total bad thing, imo.

The band made up for it with a more kick ass style of Bertha then I have heard them do in a long time...Rob B. had the early Brent sound dialed in well and the Good Time Blues and the Blow away the next night would have made Brent proud! Torin was off a day of the date...he amazes me, Vince was on this run I believe. I found myself calling most of the tunes, a good sign of a good night of connected mysticism.

Stranger>Franklin's, love the combo...marriage made in dead heaven. The crowd received it well too. Terrapin was great, as usual!

Stella Blue was beautiful..

Healy was having real fun this night, I observed him dancing his ASS OFF behind the board, I can't argue with that...he made the proper adjustments very quickly as well, once you are connected it is easier to get it dialed in...all said and done, a great way to start off the tour...

Thanks to "Mom and Dad" for waiting for me at the airport, it seemed to all work out...better than clockwork..more to come later, I'm in the van heading to the next show, the long drive to JERSEY...i'm sure it will be worth it! greyhead at the wheel! It's been a pleasure to meet new heads from the boards, dcFrank, gratefulFred, sugarmag are amazing people! joe, thanks again for the bed!

Was there a soundcheck?

A quarter of the Bertha was barely audible, once things got corrected the crowd soared!

we thought that was maybe how the original show was.. i hadn't played it yet, but was thinking about it soon enough..

i have a gearhead guitar question.....during looks like rain, the awesome octaver sound gave it that nice deep sound.. later in the song, though , the sound gets higher pitch.. almost like a whistle... what effect does that? or is it a blaster on the guitar or something?

i'd thought it might be a modulator but i've never been able to make it do that.. my pod xt has several modulator's modeled in it.. i have a few i could try even..

but if anyone else knows, I would like to read it.. tom :cheers:

Guest crazy digits

oversold place.....drunks everywhere...in my opinion..talker city...just can't stop talking and a place I probably won't come back to...sometimes a venue can help you along a little...other than that, the Stella was my highlight..

L

oversold place.....drunks everywhere...in my opinion..talker city...just can't stop talking and a place I probably won't come back to...sometimes a venue can help you along a little...other than that, the Stella was my highlight..

Yes, A talker overcrowded venue for sure, and I was repremanded by Chuck for talking myself, something i do nonstop ANYWHERE but during a show, but I had just met gratefulfred!!!! What a woman!! Anyway.........

It was an obvious early 80's show from the start, having been to a load during that era. No, there was no soundcheck according to a reliable source as at least a couple of band members themselves didn't arrive until just prior to the show. It was what it was, and it was quickly corrected. I think we were all darn glad they made it!

Great happy easy comfortable show.........loved Cumberland through China Rider in the first set...loved the entire second set through Stella....killer Terrapin in there......what's not to love about that?!! The Around and Around Good Lovin Don't Ease Me run.......well.......that was pretty much standard fare back then with slight variation, and I saw that a LOT then......not my favorite ending other than the US Blues encore a dozen times that also minopolized that era.............the great thing is, DSO brings those numbers to LIFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for that I am grateful.

I am very grateful for a lot this year, and the DSO family that I have known and continue to meet has really contributed an enormous amount of energy to my world. I am very glad to have met you all, and I am grateful for your friendship.

And I'm SICK I couldn't make the killer poke your eyes out Norfolk show, but I held each and every one of you there close to my glass of vodka last night as long as I could before just passing out with complete devastation after the BEASTLY ride home up that cluster fuck I95 from Richmond to BEAUTIFUL Harford County where the roads were free and the truffula trees still have a fighting chance..........Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Don't get me started... :rolleyes:

Love,

Kira

PS From diehard Norfolk VA residents, the chant is as follows: Don't drink, Don't smoke, NORFOLK. PLease pronounce the name of their city correctly please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awww it wasn't THAT bad talker wise...i think i've heard worse in greensboro and falls church..

but i think it is the lack of an acutal pit, like and orchestra pit that holds things back'

as to overticketed.. that could be a fair comment.. .. fortunately, my waste-o issues did not arise till the end of the show where i learned of sprite and grape flavored vodka.. cripes.. like grape nehi with a blitx component..

but at least it's not as overticketed as going to see techno greats.. jeez .. those places feel so crowded you wonder whether you are taking your like in your hands..

sounds like the we don't smoke we don't drink show was sweet..

happy new years all .. peace.. tom

Guest captain420
we thought that was maybe how the original show was.. i hadn't played it yet, but was thinking about it soon enough..

Well, DSO does not do what the dead did in the show...they do the setlist.

Guest captain420
well there ya are then.... also, thanks for the great photo of jerr and spock new years eve..

Yea, Mickey sure can pull off spock and Jer does a great santa!

• 2 months later...

Archived