Fredericksburg Va

jfolks

• Forum MVP

On precotts iPhone so just posting the date.... They played 4-1-86. There was a pockey way to open up the second set with Keller Williams on guitar And lead vocals(yes he Sang the verses). Oh and Lisa sang on pockey too. Filler: china rider. Great show with LOTS of daNcing room. Largest venue I've ever seen dso play (other than fests)

• Forum MVP
Couldn't have been a Pockey Way in '86...I think the first one was fall '87. Must have been the filler.

My understanding from well-informed sources is that they opened the second set with the surprise Pockey Way (extra mikes for Keller and Lisa) and then resumed the regularly scheduled show. China Rider was the actual filler...

Guest Ammagamalin Crew
Couldn't have been a Pockey Way in '86...I think the first one was fall '87. Must have been the filler.

Good call John.

• Forum MVP
My understanding from well-informed sources is that they opened the second set with the surprise Pockey Way (extra mikes for Keller and Lisa) and then resumed the regularly scheduled show. China Rider was the actual filler...

Exactly right! Because Keller was with his young daughter, it would have been a stretch for him to stay until the filler, so, we took the liberty of inviting him up before second set. We were sure no one would mind!! RB

• Advisory Board

LOVE those rock and roll 80's shows!!!!! Pissed I missed this one!

04-01-86 Providence Civic Center, Providence, R.I.

1: Gimme Some Lovin> Rooster, Stagger Lee, Cassidy, Tennessee Jed, L. L. Rain> Big RxR Blues> Music

2: Shakedown, Estimated> Eyes> Drumz> Miracle> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia

E: Box Of Rain

• Forum MVP

A great time at this show. Rode my motorcycle down to Fredericksburg from Vienna, VA. Traffic sucked but I managed to walk into the venue just as they kicked off the opener.

I loved the venue. Can't beat a small outdoor venue with tons of space due to undercrowding. The band was on, as usual. Enjoyed the Keller surprise. The ride home under the full moon rocked.

It was great to finally meet some of you and put some faces to the names on here. Unfortunately I'm pretty bad with names. I do remember Jfolks, Vince, Sue. Gary, keep snappin' those pics. Thanks for the introductions.

peace, reid.

Guest South FL Steve

Hey guys! So glad there was a lot of space for you. I got back into FL and feel cramped when I walk down the street with a beat in my head. Wish I could have made it out there, but GFest was a blast. Ill see you on the road soon!

internet has been down for me the last few days, hence the delay in my review. I haven't seen too many outdoor DSO shows so this was a pretty cool experience for me. Based on my preference for 80's and 90's dead, the Gimme Some Lovin opener got me pumped and thinking about the possibilities for the rest of the show. Gimme Some Loving was smoking with Kevin and Barraco trading off verses, and the phrase "BECAUSE THIS PLACE IS HOT" seemed to be very appropriate for the weather and the bands level of playing. Rooster, never one of my favorites, was actually very well played and had some nice jams with Rob and John messing around with the slide. In the some 45 dso shows I have been to, I think I have only heard Stagger Lee done once so this was very cool, perhaps the highlight of my night aside from the Senator's flawless rendition of LLR later in the first set. Railroad Blues was also rocking, but songs like Cassidy, Tennessee Jed, and Music Never Stopped never really do it for me. with regard to Music Never Stopped, I feel like I am in the minority here as it seemed to be everyone's favorite around me. I had this obnoxious girl standing directly behind me who I could have sworn thought she was Donna Jean belting out her parts in the 70's versions of the tune. Another interesting part of the first set was standing up close to the stage directly behind John's wife, who was in the front row right in front of John. Over the course of the set, it seemed like Kadlecik had a hard time not staring in her direction, as I noticed a number of schoolboyish grins being thrown her way.

When the second set began, it was still light out which prompted a few comments from Eaton. When Keller Schwilliams came on stage, I was one of the few who didnt applaud. I understand that people have different musical itches but that guy is an absolute goofball in my opinion...and i dont mean that in a good way. there was one point during pockey way where he just sat there making noises with his mouth into the microphone as if he was a baloon that was slowly deflating....kind of symbolized what he did to my mood and the overall flow of the show. i was disappointed to not hear barraco's delivery of that song. From that point on, the second set was filled with crowd pleasers, but songs I have heard more often than not. Dont get me wrong, I was dancing and having a great time, but what keeps me coming back to DSO shows is wanting to hear those rare gems that maybe werent played by the dead as frequently. Black Peter was probably the highlight of the 2nd set for me. Another thing that was interesting about the set was that it seemed like for about 20 seconds during Sunshine Daydream, Eaton was actually convinced he was Bob Weir, yelling and grunting into the microphone in a very 80's Weiresque way. Not saying this is a bad thing, I wish he would do more of this kind of improv, like say perhaps on LOOKS LIKE RAIN! i hope none of you find this review to be too strange or critical, but I know there are a number of you who will. all in all, another great night spent with DSO and i look forward to many more in the future.

on another note, i was fortunate enough to have a light hearted chat with Lisa by the sound table and i just want to say what a nice and funny person she is. very easy to talk and joke with. some on this board seem to take things a little too seriously in my opinion, so its refreshing to speak with someone that this is not the case

• Forum MVP

this was really like a bonus show as we got to see it on the way back down south

the pre-drumz shakedown estimated eyes being the highlight, awesome dancing space, friendly Virginia crowd very cool venue

the Space was INSANE (right jordan?)

back in florida now, time to work and save so i can see everyone again as soon as possible! love you all!

• Forum MVP
this was really like a bonus show as we got to see it on the way back down south

the pre-drumz shakedown estimated eyes being the highlight, awesome dancing space, friendly Virginia crowd very cool venue

the Space was INSANE (right jordan?)

back in florida now, time to work and save so i can see everyone again as soon as possible! love you all!

Glad you got this bonus, Tor! Sorry I missed the dancin' space, another show in all you all's company, another Est>Eyes, and music out under the stars. But be it ever so humble, there's no place like home - til we dance again!

This was dessert after the Gratefulfest buffet! Excellent venue, unreal dancin space (Up Front!), and incredible weather. The show smoked from start to finish. In fact, it left us pondering an age old problem....Do we quit our jobs and go on tour???? We'll see soon...

Love to All

V&S

Yes indeed, dessert after the G-fest buffet. LLR is my favorite when Cathy is at the show with me. Grate to see the family again so soon.

We followed this show up with RatDog the next night at home in Richmond. It was a good show all in all but just did not have the energy of

DSO. Things quiet down for me a little as my two weeks off is about up. This has been a gas, it's really been a gas !! As Chuck said above

"Til we dance again".

Peace, Bob

Archived