Governor's Island

smile_smile_smile

Guest Ptchfork

The show was nothing short of amazing. The jam in Cassidy blew me away, Eyes with Keller was incredible. I was all smiled for Liberty...

then it turned to shit!!!

Wow, getting off the island was a total disaster!!!! I can't believe the NYPD who stood on the dock and watch the mad crush of people. trying to get to the ferry without doing anything!

I will definitely never return to that venue.

• Forum MVP

I can see where a dark cloud orchestra visitation combined with the ferry evacuation situation made for a bad end to a good evening.

Last year we were dancing on the big open parade ground. It was literally acres of room. How was the man-made beach scene?

The man made beach scene paled in comparison to last year. The whole set up was not as comfortable as last year . Actually the beach was set back a 100 feet and there was black pavement up to the stage. Now the view was amazing, the stage was right next to the water so Manhattan was our backdrop.

The lightening was not lazy more like smokestake caliber. The evacuation was poorly executed but it will hold a place in these memory banks as one of the most utterly crazed chaotic scenes I have ever experienced. Reminded me of Giants stadium 1989 when the tornado came through. Of course the Dead managed to play in spite of John Scher attempt at evacuation, " Please evacuate the stadium."

The band was on fire from the start I can only wonder what was in store for us if the deluge hadn't occurred. Truly enjoyed dancin with everyone. A New York state of mind kind of show. Eyes with Keller was sick but the rest of the set list was smokin hot.

The show opener was a group Happy Birthday sing-a-long to Sara, wouldn't have missed that for the world. Happy Birthday Sara may the year bring you all the promise you desere.

Enjoying coffee this morning with JBoz discussing taking a piper up to Utica, this is getting to be out of this world.

Namaste

I can see where a dark cloud orchestra visitation combined with the ferry evacuation situation made for a bad end to a good evening.

Last year we were dancing on the big open parade ground. It was literally acres of room. How was the man-made beach scene?

Chuck-We met @ the Nokia last Nov.- You probably won't remember( I need to mention screen name more often @ shows)!

I'm glad you asked about the difference between 7/11/08(grass) & this years(Beach???) show.

I mentioned before actually seeing the "BEACH" that I prefered grass.

The beach was only in the rear space, close to the stage was asphalt-(dancin in a parking lot!)

Beach was great for people with small kids to play & lounging out before show started-not much else!

The band tore it up on stage & everyone should have left with a great vibe after the show.

The rain shortened show was less than ideal, but shit happens (mother nature strikes again!)

Alot of people were estimating we missed out on another 45-60 min's music (probably only 30 in my opinion)!

Just like last year after a great show & walking to the ferry-as soon as you get to the loading area,the mood changes from...

Damn what a great show- into "this place fuckin' sucks" & on & on it goes!

Some of this shit I got to hear @ the ferry area was incredible-" They took our $$$ for the show & then stopped early-rippin' us off"-

Wow!!!

This band brings such intensity every night/plays filler songs instead of just blowing out of the venue as soon as a recreation set is over/etc...

Some people are amazing with thier slant on things!

I agree that the rain caused a real need to get off island ASAP- Where last year the ferry wait was just an opportunity to continue hanging with your friends & talking about shows/life/whatever.

It's just my opinion but-if your time is so valuable that waiting for the ferry causes you that much stress-STAY HOME!

Hoping that the band continues to play Gov. Island (return to the turf would be sweet)!

Thanks for letting me rant!

See ya' in Vasa Park,

Rob

• Forum MVP

Luckily I did Wo Hop before the show! Just as I did 32 years ago 5/3/77 before my first GD show. Love seeing DSO in my old home town. Now I would love to see their signed picture there!

Killer upto the rainout....People as you can tell from the evacuation...you are on your own!!

I hope the weather in the park in Springfield holds out...I love that place..what a transition from the Manhattan skyline!

• Advisory Board

After reading these reviews... I'm damn glad I decided to go home after AC...

The setlist you all heard sounded pretty tasty, but the bullshit surrounding the show is definatly not! :)

• Forum MVP
After reading these reviews... I'm damn glad I decided to go home after AC...

The setlist you all heard sounded pretty tasty, but the bullshit surrounding the show is definatly not! :)

iT WAS WORTH IT HERD,BELIEVE ME.THE FREAKIN FERRY DROPPED US AT A DIFFERENT LOCATION THEN WHEN WE GOT ON ,THAT WAS FUN .ALL I REMEMBER WAS I PARKED NEAR THE BULL ON BROADWAY NEAR WALL STREET. IT FREAKIN POURED !!!!!

Guest deadheadmike
iT WAS WORTH IT HERD,BELIEVE ME.THE FREAKIN FERRY DROPPED US AT A DIFFERENT LOCATION THEN WHEN WE GOT ON ,THAT WAS FUN .ALL I REMEMBER WAS I PARKED NEAR THE BULL ON BROADWAY NEAR WALL STREET. IT FREAKIN POURED !!!!!

I forgot about that Steve ... it was a full fledged cluster fuck ... the show was a MONSTER in the making though , too bad the weather went bad ...

Guest deadheadmike
I forgot about that Steve ... it was a full fledged cluster fuck ... the show was a MONSTER in the making though , too bad the weather went bad ...

I know I'm replying to my own post ... but I just want to say even trough I have a gripe with the way the evacuation went and I hope the venue has a new improved plan for this , if DSO plays Governors Island next summer ... I'M THERE !!!

:dsorocks:

Archived