Playoff Picks

bs69

• Forum MVP
Cards fans must be feeling sick about now!

It's not like I wasn't rooting against them but they had a very, very good team. The way it happened and with the pitching they have, it almost makes me worried about how they are going to come out next year.

I was very much hoping that Duncan and La Russa decided to get out--doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I've said since ST that if the Yanks don't win the world series with the ridiculous amount of money they pay and with the players and line-up and pitching they've been able to get for that money, it will be one of the biggest sports embarrassments that city has ever faced.

I honestly don't think I could be a Yanks fan with how baseball is and what they have been allowed to do. I was just talking about it with someone from NY that couldn't be one anymore after they got A-Rod---he thought that was the final straw for him, and they hadn't even gotten Sabathia and Teixiera at that point.

Their line-up is absolutely ridiculous--it's just a joke.

• Forum MVP
It's not like I wasn't rooting against them but they had a very, very good team. The way it happened and with the pitching they have, it almost makes me worried about how they are going to come out next year.

I was very much hoping that Duncan and La Russa decided to get out--doesn't look like that's going to happen.

I've said since ST that if the Yanks don't win the world series with the ridiculous amount of money they pay and with the players and line-up and pitching they've been able to get for that money, it will be one of the biggest sports embarrassments that city has ever faced.

I honestly don't think I could be a Yanks fan with how baseball is and what they have been allowed to do. I was just talking about it with someone from NY that couldn't be one anymore after they got A-Rod---he thought that was the final straw for him, and they hadn't even gotten Sabathia and Teixiera at that point.

Their line-up is absolutely ridiculous--it's just a joke.

I agree with you, but money doesn't win the world series, the Phillies do.

• Forum MVP

Yanks are GOING to win this year. They are like a freight train running at full speed now, no stopping them. Looking pretty strong all around. Sabathia, Burnett, and Pettite are keeping the rotation strong. Bullpen is looking pretty good and stacked. Line-up is a run producing machine. And if the Angels keep making stupid mistakes, Yanks will not hesitate to capitalize. They will carry that momentum into the WS and take out whatever NL team is playing (most likely Phils, but would like to see Girardi go up against Torre as well)

• Forum MVP

Don't even get me started DStone. You can't be mad at the Yankees for following the rules. Be mad at the league and the union for not having a cap or at the small market owners who keep all of Mr. Steinbrenner's money for themselves instead of putting it back into their team. That being said, you KNOW I want the Yanks to win it all, but $$$ don't buy rings. Whomever plays like a team gets the prize.

• Forum MVP
Don't even get me started DStone. You can't be mad at the Yankees for following the rules. Be mad at the league and the union for not having a cap or at the small market owners who keep all of Mr. Steinbrenner's money for themselves instead of putting it back into their team. That being said, you KNOW I want the Yanks to win it all, but $$$ don't buy rings. Whomever plays like a team gets the prize.

Ahhhhh...the guy who has no business being a Yanks fan speaks up. This reminds me of how weird it is to see people who root for this team who've barely been to NYC. I work with someone who claims he's a die hard pinstripes fan who was born and raised in Portland, Oregon! I grew up on the corner of Clark and Fullerton so I watched and rooted for the Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks because those teams were home to me. Listening to Harry Carey's voice after school made me feel like I was home and that everything was okay. Walter Payton was a god to us. I have lived in SF for over ten years now and I can't for the life of me begin to care about the teams out here because I'm not from out here. I've tried and can't even come close to having the slightest bit of interest. It's lucky you are one of my favorite people in the entire world Funkybass, because otherwise, I might think you chose your 'hometown' teams wisely (Miami Hurricanes excluded).

And I'm not mad at the Yankees, Reinsdorf predicted this would happen a long time ago--it's a unjust system. I just think what they have done is a joke and that I honestly could not root for them because of that. Now maybe I'm wrong and maybe I would be loving them now if I grew up watching them and would ignore the injustice of their payroll--I can't truly know--but I would like to think I would not approve.

And of course the best team wins but no one has a chance against THIS team and, if someone does beat them, I think they should retire en masse from shame and embarassment--never to be heard from again. It's not really even funny how many superstars that team has.

• Forum MVP
And of course the best team wins but no one has a chance against THIS team

Correct me, if I'm wrong but isn't that basically the same thing that has been said every year for the last 8 years? Yanks haven't won since 2000. And once again, your reasoning for why I shouldn't root for the team I have been pulling for since I was 5 holds no water. If it did, then someone from Montana shouldn't be a professional sports fan, right? Or should they just latch on the the team that is closest to them, geographically, and stick with it: "Yeah, I'm from Billings, MT, so naturally, I root for the Twins as they're only 2 states away."

• Forum MVP
Ahhhhh...the guy who has no business being a Yanks fan speaks up. This reminds me of how weird it is to see people who root for this team who've barely been to NYC. I work with someone who claims he's a die hard pinstripes fan who was born and raised in Portland, Oregon! I grew up on the corner of Clark and Fullerton so I watched and rooted for the Cubs, Bears, Bulls and Blackhawks because those teams were home to me. Listening to Harry Carey's voice after school made me feel like I was home and that everything was okay. Walter Payton was a god to us. I have lived in SF for over ten years now and I can't for the life of me begin to care about the teams out here because I'm not from out here. I've tried and can't even come close to having the slightest bit of interest. It's lucky you are one of my favorite people in the entire world Funkybass, because otherwise, I might think you chose your 'hometown' teams wisely (Miami Hurricanes excluded).

And I'm not mad at the Yankees, Reinsdorf predicted this would happen a long time ago--it's a unjust system. I just think what they have done is a joke and that I honestly could not root for them because of that. Now maybe I'm wrong and maybe I would be loving them now if I grew up watching them and would ignore the injustice of their payroll--I can't truly know--but I would like to think I would not approve.

And of course the best team wins but no one has a chance against THIS team and, if someone does beat them, I think they should retire en masse from shame and embarassment--never to be heard from again. It's not really even funny how many superstars that team has.

The system is broken but unlike many of the small market teams (pirates, kc who put revenue shatring money in their pockets) the yankees reinvest back into players. I am one of those fans who spent younger years in Pittsburgh and then moved to nyc. I couldn't become a mets fan, so I adopted the yankees long before they won in 96. I do believe baseball is one of those games where money won't always buy you rings, this year maybe different but....

btw, the angels remind me of a minor league team with those red sticks and the dreaded rally monkey...seems rather bush league

• Forum MVP
Correct me, if I'm wrong but isn't that basically the same thing that has been said every year for the last 8 years? Yanks haven't won since 2000. And once again, your reasoning for why I shouldn't root for the team I have been pulling for since I was 5 holds no water. If it did, then someone from Montana shouldn't be a professional sports fan, right? Or should they just latch on the the team that is closest to them, geographically, and stick with it: "Yeah, I'm from Billings, MT, so naturally, I root for the Twins as they're only 2 states away."

Once again...have I mentioned this before?

My bad then--and I think it was the right move you made to root for the team that won 2 consecutive World Series. It just shows you that you had a pretty good head on your shoulders at age 7!

And this team's lineup makes the lineup in 2000 look like AAA by comparison. Teixeira and A-Rod took what was the best lineup in baseball and turned it into a joke. Add Sabathia this year and the joke gets bigger.

There will still be a parade when NYC wins and the city will still celebrate so who really cares?

• Forum MVP
Once again...have I mentioned this before?

My bad then--and I think it was the right move you made to root for the team that won 2 consecutive World Series. It just shows you that you had a pretty good head on your shoulders at age 7!

And this team's lineup makes the lineup in 2000 look like AAA by comparison. Teixeira and A-Rod took what was the best lineup in baseball and turned it into a joke. Add Sabathia this year and the joke gets bigger.

There will still be a parade when NYC wins and the city will still celebrate so who really cares?

I will Dave & I'm enjoying every minute of it ,greatest time of the year.Go Yanks!!!!!!

• Forum MVP

Yankees over Phils in 6. I'd say in 5 but Phils got a strong pitching rotation, especially with Cliff Lee in the mix. Pedro is over with. Brad Lidge isn't going to hold up. But the do have lots of speed, good fielding, and Ryan Howard. Whatever happens, should be a good series!

Hopefully Girardi can figure out how to manage his bullpen...

• Forum MVP
I will Dave & I'm enjoying every minute of it ,greatest time of the year.Go Yanks!!!!!!

I meant who cares about the payroll thing, it's still a world series and everyone (including you) should still celebrate...

and the whole point of my post was to give funkybass a hard time.

Congrats to the fans of Philly and NYC--hope it's a WS for the ages.

Archived