2/9/2010

gr8fulauditors

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

....enough of the complaining .......this band is becoming the force we all hoped it would.DSO AND FURTHUR are bringing it.......it's a great time to be a deadhead - smile!!

Fritz...sorry you are annoyed but I don't really care to hear you tell me "enough" regarding anything.

Guest deadheadmike

BW does sing "Days Between" really well ... saw Rat Dog do it last Sept and was very impressed ... impressed enough to enjoy it sung by Bobby again if he chooses to do it in AC ,but, I would prefer to hear JK sing it ...

• Forum MVP

yes, he there have been some other changes too... where they would usually do the verse trade thing. John now sings all of Ramble On Rose. I'd say he pretty much sings close to every Jerry song now..

No...it's probably like 50% of them and for the other half, it's mostly shared between John and Bob.

It's worth noting the Ramble and the Birdsong though because of John singing those songs now--we'll see if the band gets off on them this way.

The great thing is that John is taking most of the big post space ballads and to me, those have been some of the highlights of whatever show or set they appear in.

I have only listened to 3 songs from this tour but the Stella from the 9th is really beautiful.

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-02-09.schoeps.ccm4v.zman.105965.flac16

Fritz...sorry you are annoyed but I don't really care to hear you tell me "enough" regarding anything.

Dstone realax man. Certainly wasn't meant to be a personal attack, was just saying it's a great time for this music and to be a fan of this music. Thats it.....thats all...

• Forum MVP

Dstone realax man. Certainly wasn't meant to be a personal attack, was just saying it's a great time for this music and to be a fan of this music. Thats it.....thats all...

I'm just a little tired of people harping on anything critical of the band.

"Smile and enjoy the music!"

Ya know...it's like many of us don't want to be told that in response to something specific we are analyzing in the music.

If I feel Bob destroys the gorgeous and deeply loved Days Between with his Vegas lounge act power ballad interpretation of that song...then that's just how I feel. Doesn't mean I'm not a Bob Weir fan anymore because I very much am.

It also doesn't mean anyone has to agree with me. And it also doesn't mean anyone should feel the need to tell me that I shouldn't feel that way, and that's what I got from your post telling me 'enough of the complaining.'

But we're good Fritz...I don't think you really meant anything by it.

And I will try to take your advise and relax.

I believe in relaxing.

People live longer that way.

Ya know...it's like many of us don't want to be told that in response to something specific we are analyzing in the music.

If I feel Bob destroys the gorgeous and deeply loved Days Between with his Vegas lounge act power ballad interpretation of that song...then that's just how I feel. Doesn't mean I'm not a Bob Weir fan anymore because I very much am.

It also doesn't mean anyone has to agree with me. And it also doesn't mean anyone should feel the need to tell me that I shouldn't feel that way, and that's what I got from your post telling me 'enough of the complaining.' But we're good Fritz...I don't think you really meant anything by it.

And I will try to take your advise and relax.

I believe in relaxing.

People live longer that way.

Dstone.....the problem with the internet and chat rooms such as this is things typed are not neccessarily conveyed the same way as thought when being typed up.

When i sent the original post i was in a state of bliss listening to the Orlando show from last week and listening to it could not possibly see anything negative to the whole thing.

Fact of the matter is I feel the same as you do on most things I have seen you chat about here. Sure we would get along just fine actually.

It's been alot of fun watching this band evolve and grow in the short time they have played together. I feel the same as you on Bobby cheesing up some of our much loved Garcia classics.....however.....JK seems to be allowed more and more room with each run of shows to leave his mark and do what we know he does. I can certainly understand Bobby and or Phils reluctance at first to hand over the reigns of some songs they have played for decades now....some songs they surely have deep emotional commitments to, to "the new guy" right off the bat. But...as time, rehearsals, shows, tours have gone on...my opinion is Furthur is truly starting to live up to its name and doing just that...going Furthur. JK has taken on some more lyrically and from what I've heard on recordings driving alot more of the explorations than he originally was....Weir hasn't sounded this strong on guitar or vocally in years.....Phil, well Phil is proving that even at 70 years old he is in the discussion STILL as the best bass player on the face of the planet. So my friend all i was really trying to say is it's a hell of alot of fun watching this all develop and hope it has room to grow more and more in what is sure to be too short of a time span. Phil is 70......this can't go on forever.....and while i certainly am not or would not tell anyone how to listen or react or experience this whole thing.....I will tell people how much fun it is to be a Deadhead right now. Whatever Furthur is doing in my opinion is head over heels what Bobby would be doing with Ratdog or what Phil would be doing looking for yet another group of friends to play with. Good stuff going on right now. So with that.....I bid you good night my friend.....and leave you with this.

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-02-06.schoeps.marcus.105866.flac16

take a listen....i thought i saw you post somewhere where you haven't checked out much from this tour as of yet. Somewhere in the middle of Masterpiece it seems to me something throws the switch in the band and the rest of the show reaches a level i haven't heard Furthur get to yet. Hands down my favorite show they have played thus far. Curious on your thoughts after listening.

• Forum MVP

"If I feel Bob destroys the gorgeous and deeply loved Days Between with his Vegas lounge act power ballad interpretation of that song...then that's just how I feel."

Et tu, Dave? First the President telling corporations they shouldn't use bailout funds (your tax dollars and mine) to have corporate retreats here, then saying people shouldn't blow their life savings here, and now this?

Where will it end?

resident_evil_extinction.jpg

analyzing
destroys Days Between with his Vegas lounge act power ballad interpretation

you seriously call that analysis? i call it insult.

always good advice. the man who can smile and enjoy a show even though it's not the way he would've done it is a wise man.

I know what you mean bro. I'm tired of people harping on the band.

And it also doesn't mean anyone should feel the need to tell me that I shouldn't feel that way

nobody can tell you how to feel, nor should they try

but that's different from telling you that your words are rude

• Forum MVP

you seriously call that analysis? i call it insult.

always good advice. the man who can smile and enjoy a show even though it's not the way he would've done it is a wise man.

I know what you mean bro. I'm tired of people harping on the band.

nobody can tell you how to feel, nor should they try

but that's different from telling you that your words are rude

You know what "You are Here"...you are entitled to feel my words are an insult or rude or disrespectful--one thing I can promise you is I am not going to change them because of what you think.

We are all adults here and we can have opinions that differ from one another and it's all good, ya know? This is the country we live in and it's a good thing to be able to say how we feel.

But if you prefer to live in a land of rainbows, waterfalls and unicorns--feel free.

Et tu, Dave?

Where will it end?

Sorry Chuck...I didn't need to bring Vegas into this.

• Forum MVP

Sorry Chuck...I didn't need to bring Vegas into this.

Love you, buddy - and I was just trying to inject a little levity into the situation. I know no insult was intended, and absolutely none was taken.

To celebrate the day and all things Mojave, I'm out of here for a nice time in Death Valley - 75 degrees and crystal clear sunshine. (No, not that kind of sunshine - saving that for a show.)

cool.gif

Guest deadheadmike

To celebrate the day and all things Mojave, I'm out of here for a nice time in Death Valley - 75 degrees and crystal clear sunshine. (No, not that kind of sunshine - saving that for a show.)

cool.gif

Perfect weather for a day in beautiful Death Valley ... Enjoy !!! smile.gif

• Forum MVP

Love you, buddy - and I was just trying to inject a little levity into the situation. I know no insult was intended, and absolutely none was taken.

cool.gif

It was taken that way...I thought it was funny, as always.

You would have been a good mediator in another life!

I am not going to change them because of what you think.

nor should you. you must choose your own words and be responsible for them. as must we all.

But if you prefer to live in a land of rainbows, waterfalls and unicorns--feel free.

like these smart-ass piss-ant wise-ass words here. All I am talking about is manners, not hippie stereotypes. Feel how you want and wallow in your precious opinions.

I would enjoy just once to see you smart off to Weir's face like you do here. THAT would be a stitch. I tell you true that is one way to get me to quit buggin you. Tell Bob to his face the opinions you so cherish here. Maybe like Steinbrenner did with Costanza on Seinfeld he will hire you as asistant to Furthur's traveling secretary.

• Forum MVP

I would enjoy just once to see you smart off to Weir's face like you do here. THAT would be a stitch. I tell you true that is one way to get me to quit buggin you. Tell Bob to his face the opinions you so cherish here. Maybe like Steinbrenner did with Costanza on Seinfeld he will hire you as asistant to Furthur's traveling secretary.

I would never say that to Bob's face. He has every right to play whatever he wants to--he's toured more than most musicians could ever dream of and he's always showed up and given it his all--this is just one of the reasons why he is a hero to many of us here.

This, however, is a message board. And this message board has fans who discuss the music. And we share our opinions on things. Our HONEST opinions. Our REAL opinions. One of my opinions is that Bob Weir vocally destroys the song Days Between. I don't think it works. That's MY opinion.

The problem, in my mind, is the Weir has a very distinct style of singing. He writes songs that are very much in the same vein--distinct--original. He writes them this way, he says, because that makes them his. He said something to the effect when answering a quetion a bandmate posed to him regarding his songwriting: "Anyone can write a song where the notes are supposed to go where the notes are supposed to go, expected to go..." and so on. He says he does it this way because he wants his songs to be different than everyone else's--it's him putting his signature on them. I think Weir's style lends itself to these songs--some great ones. It lends itself to other artists as well, like the Stones for instance. Not to much the Beatles to my ears.

Weir's style of singing clashes against the beauty and order a song like Days Between.

Day Between is a gorgeous song and what Bob does to it is nothing short of a crime against humanity.

Or at the very least, a crime against that song--the last great modern masterpiece from Garcia and Hunter.

Once again, this is MY OPINION. These are MY FEELINGS. So take your "everyone has to say things the way I think things should be said" and give it a rest-or better yet, skip along the path of righteousness you seem to call home and.....you know what...never mind...just go have yourself a good Valentines day.

nor should you. you must choose your own words and be responsible for them. as must we all.

like these smart-ass piss-ant wise-ass words here. All I am talking about is manners, not hippie stereotypes. Feel how you want and wallow in your precious opinions.

Why can't we just agree to disagree.....

There are alot of folks here who are not just focusing on the negatives associated with Furthur & will admit that they have flashed moments of brilliance!- I've seens some very impressives moments with this band in the short time they have been together!

As far as telling Bobby/Phil my personal opinions face 2 face....I doubt I would share my opinion with them out of respect for the musical legacy they have been a part of! I just personally don't care for thier rendition of some of the GD classics!

It's grate to see more JK vocals in 2010! Hopefully it's a trend that will continue to grow!

Peace,

Rob

• Forum MVP

I hope some day Bob can measure up to your expectations.

That day has already come.

I am acutally a huge Bob Weir fan.

You are just a lost dude.

That's what happens when you judge someone on a limited and small sample size of information.

My guess is that this isn't the first time you've done this...but whatever...that is just a guess and a guess based on a limited and small sample size of information.

Bob just layed down a sick Looks and a sick Good Lovin so it's all good to me.

You are just a lost dude. My guess is that this isn't the first time you've done this...but whatever...

lost no

done before yes - not concealing just using diff computers

we can get along fine and you are totally entitled to your opion that Bob lacks the judgment to have whom you decide be the lead vocal in certain tunes, as am I entitled to my opinion that when you express that opinion repeatedly you are being selfish and direspectful to Bob and his artistic choices which are his not yours.

I think that the song doesn't need you to defend it from Bob anymore than Bob needs me to defend him from you.

real quick...the Days Between in Hampton was perfectly beautiful and Bobby sang it very well....

so, Asheville...where i live {at present}...COLD & WINDY !!!!

anyhow, Alabama rockin'....pride of cucamonga super fun...silvio was very well played...the highlite of the 1st: LOSER {no sweet suzy} > bucket {the JAM !!!!!!!!!} > casey jones !!! {i keep sayin' they pull of some fabulousness at ends of 1st sets!!!}...the second set was mellow {some folks were bitchin' about it bein weak...WEAK??!!!??...not weak, tho more mellow than some of the other meltdowns i just experienced}...the stranger had some interesting new twists in the jam, kinda funky off tempo stuff...definitely nifty...he's gone > bird song beautiful....gorgeous Unbroken!!!...not so sure bout magnolia mtn {don't get me wrong, i dig whatever is played....tho as far the ryan adams songs, i like nobody girl a bit more}...and of course S T E L L A B L U E was SO SO SO SO beautiful!!!!!

lots of heads in Asheville...not much hangin' round due to the cold....

• Forum MVP

sakada, I agree... that second set was mellow and awesome... it was played so well. People need to be able to embrace any vibe and not expect a nonstop intense "barn burner" type of thing...

and I love Magnolia Mountain, that song is just amazing. I could imagine Jerry singing it..

I would never say that to Bob's face. He has every right to play whatever he wants to--he's toured more than most musicians could ever dream of and he's always showed up and given it his all--this is just one of the reasons why he is a hero to many of us here.

This, however, is a message board. And this message board has fans who discuss the music. And we share our opinions on things. Our HONEST opinions. Our REAL opinions. One of my opinions is that Bob Weir vocally destroys the song Days Between. I don't think it works. That's MY opinion.

The problem, in my mind, is the Weir has a very distinct style of singing. He writes songs that are very much in the same vein--distinct--original. He writes them this way, he says, because that makes them his. He said something to the effect when answering a quetion a bandmate posed to him regarding his songwriting: "Anyone can write a song where the notes are supposed to go where the notes are supposed to go, expected to go..." and so on. He says he does it this way because he wants his songs to be different than everyone else's--it's him putting his signature on them. I think Weir's style lends itself to these songs--some great ones. It lends itself to other artists as well, like the Stones for instance. Not to much the Beatles to my ears.

Weir's style of singing clashes against the beauty and order a song like Days Between.

Day Between is a gorgeous song and what Bob does to it is nothing short of a crime against humanity.

Or at the very least, a crime against that song--the last great modern masterpiece from Garcia and Hunter.

Once again, this is MY OPINION. These are MY FEELINGS. So take your "everyone has to say things the way I think things should be said" and give it a rest-or better yet, skip along the path of righteousness you seem to call home and.....you know what...never mind...just go have yourself a good Valentines day.

we had a discussion about Days Between the other day...when Jerry sang it, we had not come to the "days between" yet...it was inevitable that they were coming...once he died and GD was gone, we entered them...now that Furthur {a.k.a. the 2nd coming of the Grateful Dead} has come, and once i heard/experienced "Days Between" {and danced to it} in Hampton, i realized that the time from GD to Furthur were the "Days Between"...it's a whole new appreciation now...we are older, wiser, and now have this AMAZING band to bring it all back home again...WE ARE BACK !!!!

• Forum MVP

we can get along fine and you are totally entitled to your opion that Bob lacks the judgment to have whom you decide be the lead vocal in certain tunes, as am I entitled to my opinion that when you express that opinion repeatedly you are being selfish and direspectful to Bob and his artistic choices which are his not yours.

I don't express that opinion repeatedly--in fact, I hardly ever talk about the whole 'who sings what' thing--it's pretty irrelevent now in my mind and it's a dead horse subject if there ever was one. I may have been one of the first to talk about this subject about 8 months ago and I was very clear about how absurd it was for a silly head like myself to complain about one of my musical heroes (Bob or Phil) and the songs they chose to sing.

Two days ago, I made a joking comment to Vincent about it and then had a friendly and civil disagreement with Fritz--where I took something he said the wrong way.

Then you jumped all over me in your obnoxious way. This message board is different than most, if not all, because people don't usually jump over people, especially ones they don't know. If someone disagrees with someone, they (most often) do it in a cool manner. There are other message boards where people jump over others they don't know in obnoxious ways at the drop of a hat.

Here are two of them in case you want to visit and do that there and save this place for being a little more laid back, relaxed and friendly.

http://philzone.org/cgi-bin/discus/discus.cgi

http://ratdog.org/community/viewforum.php?f=1

Archived