Furthur, Barton Hall 2/14/10 - My Show Review

John A

• Forum MVP

Midnight Hour - Chinese New Year so it makes sense, Always a good set opener and a lot of fun. Obviously not as long as they got in the 60's but it was groovin and funky, a good way to get the feet moving.

They Love Each Other - Expected this and JK nailed it. I will say I think the version in Asbury Park was a little bit better as far as energy and build up goes but this was still really tight and it brought a big smile to my face.

Beat It On Down The Line - SMOKIN! Opening count for Valentines day. Bobby sounded great on this, Phil was thumping away. Jeff and JK killed the solos. Bob liked it so much he gave the signal to let them go at it one more time. Great work by the band on this one.

Tennessee Jed - On the same level as They Love Each Other musically speaking, JK knows what he's doing when he's directing this jam. Would have been a little bit better is John sang the whole thing but Bobby didn't do too bad. Shatnered a line or two.

Peggy-O - My first time seeing/hearing Phil sing it. Actually wasn't bad but you know that John makes this song so sweet. I agree that this was probably the low point of the first set but it was still very taut musically.

Looks Like Rain - Classis Bobby here. Loved it, except for the drunk talker who could not stop rambling when even all of his friends were telling him to quit it. Lots of Passion in this one. John usually has a early 80's type guitar solo on this. He had a nice delay/reverbish effect on that made for these awesome cascading builds. Everyone was loving it here, we may complain about bobby from time to time but I think we can all agree that when he's on... it's a lot of fun for all.

Sugaree - you know what... i'm not gonna say anything about this besides John got behind the reigns and it was definitely the right move... JUST LISTEN TO IT! definite high point of first set.

Good Lovin' - Strong set closer. I like the new arrangement, great dancin music. Everyone was peakin after that sugaree and we all fed off that energy.

Uncle John's Band - Nothing real strong developed here but you knew with this choice as their opener, we would be in for it. Still enjoyed it nonethless. We all know what would make this tune better for Furthur.

Peaceful Valley - Never heard this tune before. Had some cool interaction going on between the band. It was nice seeing JK develop a tune that would become "his" (i know its a ryan adams song) rather than him just playing Jerry songs. Was a real eye opener as to what directions this band can go with tunes that haven't been played with the dead.

Ashes and Glass - It did sound like they were gonna go into Throwing Stones but alas they came out with a Ratdog tune. I enjoyed it, I heard it the first time i saw Ratdog so it brought back a fading memory. Again, interesting to hear what Phil and JK do with this tune.

Unbroken Chain - Here's where things got intergalactic. Up until this point, the second set lacked the energy that the first had. They definitely went into some space that they hadn't gone into before with this song. Everyone was playing their ass off and it seemed like it was just getting torn at the seams when it all came back together. Really beautiful jams in this.

Morning Dew - same thing with sugaree. words would never do it justice. Listen to it if you haven't all ready. The only thing i can say is that I am not the crying type but I came damn close to shedding a tear this time. I'm getting chills just writing this actually.

The Other One - was thunderous from the start. although it was short as far as TOO goes i thought they did some exceptional jamming and it was very concise in where it went. This band sounds tighter every time.

China Cat Sunflower - Got my dancing shoes back on for this one. It was strong but nothing crazy... all in all... a real good time.

Standing on the moon - was really hoping that JK would step to the mic. I actually liked Bobby's Days Between at Hammerstein but this was nowhere near as good. The end jam was nice though and JK made up for not singing...

I Know You Rider - Same thing here. John was dancing all over the place and building that energy while not on the mic. They ended real strong with this and I know i had biiig grin.

Samson and Delilah - Great Sunday encore. Really liked the drums, lots of power and energy. JK hitting those solos. Bobby was the reverend.

The leaps and bounds this band has taken since its conception is outrageous. Just wait til the one year anniversary comes.

Being in Barton Hall was so crazy. Listening to 77 and 81 shows i never had a vivid picture of the place but now its all crystal clear. Thanks for the memory Furthur. Radio City and AC, here I come.

I tell you what though... I really do need some DSO. can't wait til May!!

• Forum MVP

2/14/10 – Ithaca, NY

Anticipation is a strong force, and it began tugging on me as the Barton Hall Furthur show approached. There was, of course, the historic significance of the venue; almost 33 years ago The Grateful Dead played a seminal show here that helped cement their legend. And then there was this still fairly nascent band, Furthur, less than six months old and about a third of the way into their first full-length tour. Furthur has come, well, a lot further in that relatively short time span. They began as a painfully tentative unit last September 18th in OaklandÂ’s newly renovated Fox Theater, feeling their way set by set, song by song, and jam by jam. At the forefront of their learning curve was Phil Lesh and Bob WeirÂ’s musical relationship with lead guitarist John Kadlecik, a man whose intimate knowledge of The DeadÂ’s repertoire must have been somewhat spooky to the original members. Having played 1,500+ shows over 12 years with his band Dark Star Orchestra, John arguably knew Phil and BobbyÂ’s music better than they did. But integrating John into their new band didnÂ’t prove as smooth as one would have imagined. His guitar was often left in the background during those first few performances, and many of the Garcia/Hunter vocal parts he knew intimately were instead taken over by Weir. To this Grateful Dead purist, the results were often excruciating.

What a great opening paragraph!

Great read, John...let's send it out to a publisher while it's still hot.

We pretty much agree on everything in the GD world--- 'cept that you don't like Bucket and I do.

I'm sending this 'article' to my GD email rant of about 50 heads.

They are going to love this.

Guest weengrl

So I must confess I took daily peeks at the set lists as Furthur made its way up the East Coast from Miami, not to digest the song choices in detail but rather to check and see if there had been a Dew. There hadn

Great writeup!

I just wanted to add that I felt that this was SUCH a "Jerry show". I have a feeling that this night, more than some others in recent memory, Jerry was on the minds of those that were playin' in the band.

The following sequence, to me, really proves this point. Unbroken Chain --> Morning Dew --> Other One --> China Cat --> Standing on the moon --> Rider

From the lyrical implications of Unbroken Chain, to the obvious significance of the Dew, to a jammy Other one/China combo, and of course SOTM and Rider to close the set. Where "Standing" was played, the written setlist had originally called for "Hey Jude". I feel, however, that Bob was feeling the same strong Jerry vibe that a lot of us were feeling and so he changed it to "Standing".

John's impassioned vocals on "Dew", Bobby looking up to the heavens and shouting "I'd rather be with you!" as spotlights shown from the stage to/through the glass "Cornell University" windows, and on and on...

Tonight belonged to furthur and to the ghosts of Barton Hall. But perhaps just as much, it belonged to Jerry Garcia.

I just wanted to add (and please keep in mind that I was riding Hoffman's bicycle at the time, so that colors my opinion) that I felt...this night, more than some others in recent memory, Jerry was on the minds of those that were playin' in the band...

From the lyrical implications of Unbroken Chain, to the obvious significance of the Dew...and...where the written setlist had originally called for "Hey Jude"...I feel, however, that Bob was feeling the same strong Jerry vibe that a lot of us were feeling and so he changed it to "Standing".

John's impassioned vocals on "Dew", Bobby looking up to the heavens and shouting "I'd rather be with you!" as spotlights shown from the stage to/through the glass "Cornell University" windows, and on and on...

Tonight belonged to Furthur and to the ghosts of Barton Hall. But perhaps just as much, it belonged to Jerry Garcia.

What a profound and beautiful sense, feeling that Blessed Vibe. Whether on or off the bicycle, it was definitely a joyous ride!

Thanks for your eloquent words, a shivery connection to my own ephemeral recollection of blissful continuity of past and present, 'a lovely view of heaven'....

• Forum MVP

It was a pleasure meeting you via David's texting :D . See you on down the line!...

Good to meet you too - sorry it was so brief. Good circumstances, however. :)

So I got published on a fledging Ithaca web site that espouses "music, art, and culture" in Upstate New York.

Check it out! A few pretty awesome pictures there too!

Ithaca Post Furthur Article

Good to meet you too - sorry it was so brief. Good circumstances, however. :)

So I got published on a fledging Ithaca web site that espouses "music, art, and culture" in Upstate New York.

Check it out! A few pretty awesome pictures there too!

Ithaca Post Furthur Article

That's tremendous!!! I was hoping you'd get it published somewhere. It's such a wonderful read, and with the integration of those gorgeous photographs, it's such a completely beautiful piece.

Are those your photographs, or do you know who the photographer is?

Thanks again, John, for writing the article and for sharing this with us all!....

• Forum MVP

Are those your photographs, or do you know who the photographer is?

It seems like a couple were taken in the space between the rail and the stage (although I don't think those are the best ones) so someone must have had access. I don't know where they sourced the pictures.

Archived