Charlotte Nc

Brian NJ

January 79 Mass. Opened with

Jack Straw

Jack a Roe

Can't remember rest

Highlights for me were The Sickest Shakedown St ever heard anywhere and a mezzzzzzzzmorizing Casey Jones.

Jeff and the new guitar are rockin.

Overall ,very tight show played with passion!!!!

Anyone awake yet with the full setlist? Looks like a pair of Jacks and a monster Shakedown....would love to see what else they played

01-15-1979 Springfield Civic Center, Springfield Ma

Set 1

Jack Straw

Jack-A-Roe

Cassidy

Row Jimmy

Mama Tried ->

Mexicali Blues

Stagger Lee

Passenger

Deal

Set 2

I Need A Miracle ->

Shakedown Street

From The Heart Of Me

Terrapin Station ->

Playing In The Band ->

Drums ->

Jam ->

Playing In The Band ->

Casey Jones

Encore

Johnny B. Goode

Guest Hootdaddy

There was a TLEO (and maybe more, I had a 90 mile drive home to make and it was 1:30 at that point) as filler after the encore. The Shakedown was TITANIC. If there were any lingering doubts about Jeff Mattson, fuhgedaboutit. He is the real. Deal. So many times he would just take a few extra measures, really leading and building the jams. He tosses in a lot of sweet slightly different phrasing just at the right spot. Fennario, for example--he had some neat fills and he spent some time with the drummers before they kicked that off just to make sure he had the "feel" of the uptempo 79 version.

Can't wait for tonight. It was not terribly crowded last night; maybe 500 people. Usually DSO sells out there. More a testament of the economic climate and the recent Furthur swing through CLT than anything else, I guess.

• Forum MVP

There was a TLEO (and maybe more, I had a 90 mile drive home to make and it was 1:30 at that point) as filler after the encore. The Shakedown was TITANIC. If there were any lingering doubts about Jeff Mattson, fuhgedaboutit. He is the real. Deal. So many times he would just take a few extra measures, really leading and building the jams. He tosses in a lot of sweet slightly different phrasing just at the right spot. Fennario, for example--he had some neat fills and he spent some time with the drummers before they kicked that off just to make sure he had the "feel" of the uptempo 79 version.

Can't wait for tonight. It was not terribly crowded last night; maybe 500 people. Usually DSO sells out there. More a testament of the economic climate and the recent Furthur swing through CLT than anything else, I guess.

Sound like a great start to the weekend. Lookin for an original tonite.

• Forum MVP

Filler was To Lay Me Down (beautifully done by JM) and Midnight Hour.

Donna Jean's band opened and was strong as usual. She didn't come out with DSO but fingers are crossed for this evening.

Fun times til the rising shining sun.

• Forum MVP

Gettin pumped for tonight after last night. Mattson just absolutely killed the Shakedown. His guitar took direct control of my body!! One of my top few Shakedown's ever. The Lay Me Down as filler was gorgeous! Mama / Mexicali was just smokin'!! There is definitely a new energy to this band that I'm totally diggin. During drums the rest of the band came out on side stage and all had their own instruments and jammed along with Dino and Rob - just havin' a blast!!! Just loved Jeff's singing, Barraco was on fire, Eaton and Lisa spot on as always, Kevin droppin some bombs on Terrapin and the Drumz was an adventure.

PS: enjoyed meeting ChuckVegas and exchanging a sweaty hug. :D

The after show gathering needs to be critiqued. On seconed thought what happens in Charlotte stays in Charlotte and in the memories and few brain cells of a grate bunch of suspects that were able to recall a fun night--->morning! :wacko:

The after show gathering needs to be critiqued. On seconed thought what happens in Charlotte stays in Charlotte and in the memories and few brain cells of a grate bunch of suspects that were able to recall a fun night--->morning! :wacko:

Sounds like a whole lot of fun ,DSO is on a great run glad you made the trip Brian be safe. Peace Dave

• Forum MVP

If hearing that transition from Miracle into Shakedown doesn't get you going...

No doubt. That would be time to remove Deadhead card from wallet / purse and dispose of.

Crazy thing about that transition is you think they have officially started Shakedown and that the transition was respectable if a tad weak. Then, the Phil bombs hit home and you realize they were still tuning for the opening springboard, with the whole band gaining air together.

Archived