Seattle - 4/17/10

ThinMan

• Forum MVP

As mentioned above, they played:

04/14/88 (Thu) Rosemont Horizon - Rosemont, IL

Set 1: Jack Straw, West L.A. Fadeaway, Mama Tried > Big River, Althea, When I Paint My Masterpiece, Bird Song, Promised Land

Set 2: Box Of Rain, Iko Iko, Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Space > The Wheel > Black Peter > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away, E: Black Muddy River

Filler: Mr. Charlie*, Casey Jones*

* with Lisa

First time seeing Stu perform in any live fashion. Was very curious about the possibilities. Show started just after 8:00pm and got things going in a hurry. I may have trying too hard to get a feel for Stu's fit as I wasn't feeling the energy right off the bat. But lots of other were, so it definitely could have just been me. I always love a J Straw operner. Good, solid version. At least to me, it seemed like they were in a big hurry to get through West LA, Mama and Big River. Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of all three but it just seemed like they weren't giving either of them time to grow, if you will. The Althea, Masterpiece, Birdsong>Promised Land was about as money of a 20 minute stretch as you would ever want to bring a 1st set to a close. Place was going so crazy that Eaton was, literally, screaming into the mike "we'll be right back". Not sure how others who have seen some of the other Stu shows feels but it deffinitely felt like they were feeling each other out through the first half of the set and then really started pumping as the show went along. All in all I really enjoyed the 1st set. Strong songs, strong overall performance. I was quite impressed with Stu's guitar work as I had heard that he had the Jerry vocals down but wasn't quite up to John or Jeff's ability on the guitar. Could have fooled me. Stu was shredding all night long. Good, good stuff. Both my wife and one of her friends said that it was the best first set either of them have ever seen DSO perform(about 10 shows for my wife and about 5 for her friend). And based on the smiles in the crowd at the break, I would have to think they were on to something.

Stepped outside at setbreak and had the glorious opportunity to finally meet the legend: Mr. Chuckvegas. For those who haven't met him, all the stories are true, especially the dripping with sweat references ;) . Great meeting you, Chuck. I hope our paths cross again soon.

Second set got off to a great start as I love Box openers, no pun intended. The Iko really got the crowd going and it was lift off for the rest of the night. The Estimated>Eyes had us convinced it was either '87 or '88. A friend thought this may have been an '87 Garden show he was at. By the time they hit drums, I was in heaven. They sure seemed like they were playing with a little extra fire in em thus far. My friend was sure they were going to come out of Space into The Wheel, so when they did, I was trying to remember all the MSG setlists I could from the late '80s. {Side Note} One thing that struck me all night long, to this point, was how "un-Jerry" Stu sounded on lead vocals. He sounded great on the vocals, he just didn't sound like Jerry, Where as John really kind of sounds like Jerry on some of his lead vocals. Its neither here nor there, just wanted to throw out that I wasn't hearing all the comparisons to Jerry that I have been hearing lately about Stu. Which, to me at least, is kind of a nice thing. He does his things, brings what he's got and fucking kills it. However, I had one of those "Holy Shit" moments during The Wheel. When Stu sings background vocals, he really, no REALLY sounds like Jerry did on back-up vocals. The phrasing, tone, strength.... all Jerry. To me, they sounded more like the Dead vocally, last night, than I have every heard anyone sound since Jerry died. I had to pick my jaw off the floor a couple of time during The Wheel.{end side note}. The Wheel was about as strong as I have heard in a long, long time. Vocally, they were hitting it all. The Black Peter was something special. Stu just killed it and at one point, Eaton is just staring at Stu with this "WTF" look on his face that lasted for a solid 20-30 seconds. Throwing Stone was really loud and powerfull. Eaton was practically screaming the entire things. Place was going nuts. NFA was perfect out of T Stones and the crowd just of the chanting until the band came back for the encore. Love that. Miss that. Can't remember the last Muddy Rive I saw live so this was very nice and a great end to the show.

While they set up Lisa's microphone, Rob informs us that it was Rosemont, IL night 2. The Mr. Charlie>Casey Jones was so money. And when you combine the vocal power of Stu, Rob, Rob, and Kevin with Lisa's beautiful voice over the top........everything I said previously about the vocals last night was magnified by 50 when Lisa was up there. The energy in the vocals last night was simply amazing. I so wish I was able to do Olypmia tingiht as its only an hour away. But its a school night and no one to watch the kids. Oh well.............

On another note, I think at this point it is pretty much official: There is NO ONE who has more fun up there playing than Rob Barraco. The smiles and energy coming from behind those keys last night and everytime I see him play is unbelievable. I can only imagine watching him play the jazz that he loves so much.

Thank you DSO for yet another $$$ performance here in Seattle. :cheers:

• Forum MVP

When Stu sings background vocals, he really, no REALLY sounds like Jerry did on back-up vocals. The phrasing, tone, strength.... all Jerry. To me, they sounded more like the Dead vocally, last night, than I have every heard anyone sound since Jerry died.

I had this same observation. On his leads, he sounds more or less like Jerry at various times, but the harmonies nail it.

Archived