I Don't Care Who Says What!

gr8fulauditors

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

I still find it unbelievably inconceivable that we are in a situation where we have not one but TWO excellent bands keeping the tradition of the greatest music in the world going yet, we continue to make it a competition as to which is better. I mean really, when it was thought that Furthur might only be able to pull off one or two tours, then yes, it was certainly conceivable that if both bands were playing in the same area on the same night for only one show then there might be a dilema (as was said many times, lots of people wanted to at least try the Furthur Kool-Aid as no one knew if it would ever come back). But now that it has kept on, I just don't see the dilema. One night only, both shows close to home: I know where I will be. Does it matter to me where you will be?? Only if you are making a decision that goes against what you would really want. See who you want to . Listen to who you want to. Support who you want to. This is NOT sports where you are either for the Giants or the Dodgers, the Yankees or the Red Sox, the Giants or the Jets, etc, etc. This is music. Its about what fills your souls and makes you happy. If someone (and I am not speaking of ANYONE in particular) wants to be a dick, then let them be a dick. I'm sure everyone here has at one point or another known someone who's purpose seemed to be to stir the pot and get people arguing about something. Has it ever worked to engage that person and try and change their mind??? Live and let live. I mean, in another 25 years when DSO is still tearing it up and we have all been on the bus for 30+ years and another band comes out to be the next in line to keep the torch lit, are the same people arguing now going to be arguing for the other side then? Why do there have to be sides? Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't DSO started to keep the spirit of the GD alive and well for the next generation? I don't recall ever hearing that they wanted to put the original out to pasture. I don't recall..................oh never mind.

I guess the only question that matters is "whoa, what I want to know...................is are you kind?"

:dsorocks::cheers:

Rob E - Please don't leave. I for one really look forward to your posts, as well as Dino and everyone else in the band who posts here.

Pugdog - your opinions are fine but your tone has been pretty harsh lately - much harsher than the rest of the regular posters here in general IMHO, to the point of turning people off.

Original Poster - give me a break.

Pugdog - your opinions are fine but your tone has been pretty harsh lately - much harsher than the rest of the regular posters here in general IMHO, to the point of turning people off.

Right on.

Sorry...tone is extremely tough to relay without vocal inflection, but yeah, I am sorry if all of my posts seem harsh to you. I felt a lil harshed at the time and responded accordingly. Similar to what Eaton did. We're all human. I try to post honestly on all subjects (not just here) and call it as I see it in life, good or bad. This just happened to be negative. I dunno man, I don't think I'm an overly negative person. I have my moments, naturally. Sorry.

Take it for what it's worth. I felt harsh vibes/"tones" with Eaton's post, I felt and still feel it was not a comment that's going to help the matter one bit, quite to the contrary. It was very counterproductive.

I did take his comment more seriously than I would've had it come from, say, you...and that is merely because I knew the gravity of his words amongst the community. With that in mind, they may have harshed me a lil more than anyone else posting those same exact words.

I dunno, I would call you guys out if I smelled BS and hope/KNOW you would do the same for me. ;)

Oh, and I feel as though I am a "regular poster" here too...so I guess I'm just one of the harsher ones that occasionally lacks tact. Everyone has their faults, eh? I will try to work on it (in all honesty) as I truly don't wanna hurt anyone without just.

It's all good, as they say...keep on keepin on.

:friends:

:grouphug:

• Forum MVP

I am happy I was too busy attending concerts over the past 2 weekends to witness this unfolding. This is just sad. I can't believe we have let it get to this point where people feel they need to remove themselves from the forums. It just seems all so childish. Enjoy the music. See you in August. Let's try to spread peace, love, and joy. Ignore the hatred and anger; it only breeds more hatred and anger.

• Forum MVP

Ignore the hatred and anger; it only breeds more hatred and anger.

I get your point here, but I don't agree with it. I think there is a time when one has to stand up to hatred and anger and to ignore it would be, in a way, colluding with it.

Maybe this does not apply as much on message boards though because there is definitely something to be said for feeding the trolls---I see it all the time on the other message boards.

I don't think we have trolls here.

Off to see Neil at the Fox...had to take a 2nd mortgage on the house to go to this show...too bad I don't have enough will power to just say no, like Nancy taught us so many years ago.

• Forum MVP

I get your point here, but I don't agree with it. I think there is a time when one has to stand up to hatred and anger and to ignore it would be, in a way, colluding with it.

Maybe this does not apply as much on message boards though because there is definitely something to be said for feeding the trolls---I see it all the time on the other message boards.

I don't think we have trolls here.

Off to see Neil at the Fox...had to take a 2nd mortgage on the house to go to this show...too bad I don't have enough will power to just say no, like Nancy taught us so many years ago!

Maybe ignore was the wrong word. I think that the hatred, anger, and the posts obviously intended to stir the pot would be best confronted by hate's antithesis - love. Unfortunately, endless squabbling over which band is better or whether it is okay for a DSO fan to be upset is just senseless and pointless. I think we should agree to disagree and get back to enjoying the music and talking about shows we liked - DSO, Furthur, or any other show you might attend like Neil. Not replying or changing the subject does not have to mean ignoring. I don't agree with everything my brother says, but I love my brother and would rather move past touchy subject and on to a more amicable one than always and endlessly take a stand and return to the same tireless subject over and over again. I thought we had talked about this already when Furthur posts were in the general discussion thread. I thought the subject would eventually go away especially after a decision was made to make an other bands forum to divert Furthur talk away from the eyes of the DSO faithful. There isn't anything wrong with liking DSO, Furthur, one band, the other, or neither. No one here is right or wrong. We just disagree. When people disagree, generally the best solution is to respect others beliefs and move on.

Do you routinely talk Religion and Politics with strangers? I don't because those are touchy subjects and I like to make friends.

I love all of you and I love DSO, but most importantly, I love the music of the GD and I am so happy and grateful that even after his passing Jerry Garcia's life and music has been able to so profoundly effect my life. My desire to hear his music played live borders on insanity and definitely qualifies as fanatical. I just can't get enough of the stuff. I wish I was dancing and attending a show right now and it doesn't matter whether it is DSO, Furthur, On the Bus, or any other GD cover band that can do this music some justice. Of course, I have an opinion and I think each band has its strong points and not so strong points, but I always love the music, the community, and the good times shared with my brothers.

Keep on Dancin.

• Forum MVP

It's good to want to get along with people Rick...I just think there comes a time to take a stand about what you believe in and what's important to you and in doing so, be an ally to those things or people who you feel you want to support.

I think, however, that the bickering about what's already been bickered about is annoying as well--it's the reason I can't read many of the threads on here anymore (I have a feeling I am not alone).

And I generally don't like to talk about politics with most folks (especially people older that 50) either.

(Funny how it used to be people older than 30.)

• Forum MVP

Yup, David's right ya gotta shine yer light in the darkness rather than just let it be dark.

Of course sometimes one man's light could be another man's annoying glare.

How anyone can be other than glad for the vitality and variety of GD music in 2010 is beyond me.

Time tells.

• Forum MVP

I agree with David with all my heart. When your stance is based on rationality and truth, your goal, in fact, your obligation would be to shed light on the matter and help others towards the light or truth. However, one's favorite band, favorite music, or favorite people that play that music does not qualify as a rational stance based on fact and truth. It is a stance based on an irrational obsession for GD music and one's personal experiences and preferences for how that music should be played. Many of us may agree that DSO continues to perform GD music closest to its form of yesteryear. A fact may even be stated that they do this, but to say that to do this is better falls into the realm of opinion. Although sharing your opinion is good and great for conversation, people will disagree with your opinion and unfortunately, to take a stand and to continuously assert that your stance is right is not only contrary to the truth, but useless. In a world of equality, no one's opinion holds more weight than the next and the argument becomes null and futile. For one to presuppose that they know how GD music should be played in 2010, to me seems a bit deader than thou to me. I will continue to stand up for truth, but I won't waste my time trying to persuade a Bobby fan that the Cowboy songs are meant for pee breaks and beer runs. He isn't going to change his mind about his opinions simply because I think differently than him.

I also agree with Dave. I don't understand how anyone is not bursting at the seems with joy about the current situation of GD music. The scene is alive and well. We have two power house bands in my opinion and lots of good people to share the experiences.

If you feel the need to stand up and support those you feel are in the right (I don't really see this as a right or wrong issue), I think the best place to do it would be at the shows on a more personal and direct level. Like someone previously stated, tone and intent are hard to determine if the speaker is typing and not speaking. I am sure I will see many of you in August coming East to show your support or will I?

Very well said Rick...I agree

...and there are many more than just 2 bands keeping the Grateful Dead flame aglow. Dozens of messengers out there...spreading the vibes.

Naturally there are the powerhouse torchbearers (DSO, Schwag, JGB, Furthur). I'm very grateful for all of them. I saw a band here in Dallas called "Forgotten Space" that was a far cry from a DSO, Furhur, or Schwag/JGB show but still brought joy to my heart, a smile across my face, and some shakin in my bones. Us second generation/post-Jerry Heads have opportunities to catch quite a few GD related/family shows without having to completely drop out of society to follow THE one and only. That being said...I'd trade em all for a VW bus, a grilled cheese griddle, and Jerry back. :mellow:

"If my words did glow"

-Robert Hunter

• Forum MVP

I agree with David with all my heart. When your stance is based on rationality and truth, your goal, in fact, your obligation would be to shed light on the matter and help others towards the light or truth. However, one's favorite band, favorite music, or favorite people that play that music does not qualify as a rational stance based on fact and truth. It is a stance based on an irrational obsession for GD music and one's personal experiences and preferences for how that music should be played. Many of us may agree that DSO continues to perform GD music closest to its form of yesteryear. A fact may even be stated that they do this, but to say that to do this is better falls into the realm of opinion. Although sharing your opinion is good and great for conversation, people will disagree with your opinion and unfortunately, to take a stand and to continuously assert that your stance is right is not only contrary to the truth, but useless. In a world of equality, no one's opinion holds more weight than the next and the argument becomes null and futile. For one to presuppose that they know how GD music should be played in 2010, to me seems a bit deader than thou to me. I will continue to stand up for truth, but I won't waste my time trying to persuade a Bobby fan that the Cowboy songs are meant for pee breaks and beer runs. He isn't going to change his mind about his opinions simply because I think differently than him.

I also agree with Dave. I don't understand how anyone is not bursting at the seems with joy about the current situation of GD music. The scene is alive and well. We have two power house bands in my opinion and lots of good people to share the experiences.

If you feel the need to stand up and support those you feel are in the right (I don't really see this as a right or wrong issue), I think the best place to do it would be at the shows on a more personal and direct level. Like someone previously stated, tone and intent are hard to determine if the speaker is typing and not speaking. I am sure I will see many of you in August coming East to show your support or will I?

Pretty damn intelligent response, I'd say. On point.

A wise young man. Now let's go on to the next argument. Original setlists or recreations?

Careful music goers. The Furthur thread police paddy wagon is coming to your neighborhood soon. You all must make a decision. No more fence straddling. You can't like both bands. THE RAPTURE IS NEAR! Take away music forever, just let us all live!!!!

Careful music goers. The Furthur thread police paddy wagon is coming to your neighborhood soon. You all must make a decision. No more fence straddling. You can't like both bands. THE RAPTURE IS NEAR! Take away music forever, just let us all live!!!!

They have been monitoring for a long time......since their inception. Who cares! "You can't like both bands." An ignorant statement to say the least. While I prefer DSO enormously more to further, don't tell anyone they can't like both! The pot has already been stirred "Pinhead boulder"and it seems to me that the soup is a little over cooked!

BTW, Allgood was described to me this way: DSO 300 yard drive down the middle; further duck hooked it OB (out of bounds). Way to go DSO!

They have been monitoring for a long time......since their inception. Who cares! "You can't like both bands." An ignorant statement to say the least. While I prefer DSO enormously more to further, don't tell anyone they can't like both! The pot has already been stirred "Pinhead boulder"and it seems to me that the soup is a little over cooked!

BTW, Allgood was described to me this way: DSO 300 yard drive down the middle; further duck hooked it OB (out of bounds). Way to go DSO!

It is pure sarcasm my good man. Perhaps the dogdays of summer is making you irritable. Have a great day , and don't make assumptions. Or is this from one pinhead to another?

• Advisory Board

This post does nothing but stir the pot. Nothing useful added. Nothing positive gained. Part of the problem around here. You call it sarcasm, I call it BS.

Dr. B :icon13:

• Forum MVP

It's good to want to get along with people Rick...I just think there comes a time to take a stand about what you believe in and what's important to you and in doing so, be an ally to those things or people who you feel you want to support.

I think, however, that the bickering about what's already been bickered about is annoying as well--it's the reason I can't read many of the threads on here anymore (I have a feeling I am not alone).

And I generally don't like to talk about politics with most folks (especially people older that 50) either.

(Funny how it used to be people older than 30.)

David,

I more concerned with living right and moving those in my circle towards the "good life." I, by no means, really care that much to get along with people. I can be loud, obnoxious, and even allow for locker room talk with ladies present.

How was Neil at the Fox?

This post does nothing but stir the pot. Nothing useful added. Nothing positive gained. Part of the problem around here. You call it sarcasm, I call it BS.

Dr. B :icon13:

My last reply on this.Perhaps you should be venting to the person who originated this topic. Have a great day, + enjoy the music.

Archived