I Don't Care Who Says What!

gr8fulauditors

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

>>>>>very insulting to the members of our favorite band<<<<<

....Sorry comes a time. I was not insulted by him in the least. I doubt very seriously that many other band members were either.

I can't seem to find anything insulting in his original post.

>>>>"Yo, Furthur is on FIRE!!!!!!! If you don't go see these guys while you can,you just are missing out thats all!!!Plain and simple..There was NO let up at all last night in Stroudsburg,everthing was played to the end.And to the people upset Phil is "calling the shots" yes i did see him go to the mike and talk but it was mostly timing and keys.He waited until the jam had run its course.I saw nothing shut down to early.With 13 furthur shows under my belt i can say.."wow,it is really that good"...GO GO GO!!!"<<<<

So he went to a Furthur show and liked it. Good for him. I went to a Furthur. I had fun. I personally think we bring the heat more ... but I'm biased. I still really enjoy watching Phil and Bob play music. They aren't going to be around forever. Fuck the politics. It's Music.

And I would venture to guess that more people will be turned on to DSO by JK playing in Furthur than we will loose to people who only were coming to see JK and not the band as a whole. I really don't think that would count for that many people. We are a band that is bigger than the some of the parts. And with Jeff Mattson breathing fire, the word will and is getting around that we are better than ever.

And yes DSO talk is becoming more and more prevalent and accepted on other websites.

This guy posted this in the "Other Bands" section. If people don't want to read discussions on other bands then don't read it.

Naturally, there are a lot more Furthur fans than DSO fans. They have two original members. It doesn't matter what Phil and Bob do. People will be interested in them.

For DSO, the best thing we can do is to continue to play and serve the music the best we can. New people will come to DSO for the music. ... And many of those people will be Furthur fans who now think it's Ok to like us since "The Boys" decided we are good enough to play with one of our players. Many are people who wouldn't have listened to us before because they can't get over our "schtick" and think we are some kind of Beatlemania act. We all know that's not the case. We all know we simply play the music well. Perhaps they will discover that too if they are now more curious.... unless of course they get run off or turned off by our un-inclusive and separative attitudes.

One day Furthur will be no more and DSO will still be here. Will we still run these people off then?

Let them come and talk all the want.

• Forum MVP

Dino , you know I love ya and understand exactly what your saying in your post , and about " separative attitudes " , I would call the attitude "protective" ... I'm a deadhead as we all are and of course I'm happy to see Phil and Bob still playing and to see JK on stage with them is very exciting ... I've seen 6 Furthur shows so far , would have been 10 but had to pass on a few because of things at home ... I enjoy good conversation no matter what band it's about and also understand that the Furthur traffic could enhance DSO show turnout and by no means do I want to turn people off from that , but I got to call it like I see it , it's my nature ... I will however refrain in the future from calling out or adding to this type of heat ... the only heat I want to be involved in is the HEAT DSO throws at us from the stage and Furthur and JGB and hopefully someday The Schwag ... this Forum is all inclusive and all music discussion is very interesting and welcome as far as I can see ... I'm looking forward to seeing you in Atlantic City next month , talk to you then ... :)

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Dino , you know I love ya and understand exactly what your saying in your post , and about " separative attitudes " , I would call the attitude "protective" ... I'm a deadhead as we all are and of course I'm happy to see Phil and Bob still playing and to see JK on stage with them is very exciting ... I've seen 6 Furthur shows so far , would have been 10 but had to pass on a few because of things at home ... I enjoy good conversation no matter what band it's about and also understand that the Furthur traffic could enhance DSO show turnout and by no means do I want to turn people off from that , but I got to call it like I see it , it's my nature ... I will however refrain in the future from calling out or adding to this type of heat ... the only heat I want to be involved in is the HEAT DSO throws at us from the stage and Furthur and JGB and hopefully someday The Schwag ... this Forum is all inclusive and all music discussion is very interesting and welcome as far as I can see ... I'm looking forward to seeing you in Atlantic City next month , talk to you then ... :)

:dsorocks:

You know I love you too Comes a Time. I'm just curious..... How exactly does this protection thing work and who are you protecting. Is this guy's statement going to influence anyone from not seeing DSO? ... just because this guy said go see Furthur. I would say we run a bigger risk of losing people because of the insecurity we are projecting if we respond in such "protective" language. People are going to go to music that's getting them off. That's all there is to it. I know I get off on the music I'm playing with DSO so I'm fairly certain others will also. I am not concerned with people's opinions of other bands hurting us. I don't think it does. People have ears. The only thing else they need is an open enough mind to give us a shot. Let's not do anything that will close there minds from giving us a chance.

You have seen Furthur as has many others who like DSO. It's possible to like both bands.... As it was possible for DSO fans to enjoy the Dead, Phil and Friend, and Ratdog.... who all toured a great deal at times. Having all those bands around never hurt us before .... and now is there is less choices in places to go to get your GD fix.

• Forum MVP

You know I love you too Comes a Time. I'm just curious..... How exactly does this protection thing work and who are you protecting. Is this guy's statement going to influence anyone from not seeing DSO? ... just because this guy said go see Furthur. I would say we run a bigger risk of losing people because of the insecurity we are projecting if we respond in such "protective" language. People are going to go to music that's getting them off. That's all there is to it. I know I get off on the music I'm playing with DSO so I'm fairly certain others will also. I am not concerned with people's opinions of other bands hurting us. I don't think it does. People have ears. The only thing else they need is an open enough mind to give us a shot. Let's not do anything that will close there minds from giving us a chance.

You have seen Furthur as has many others who like DSO. It's possible to like both bands.... As it was possible for DSO fans to enjoy the Dead, Phil and Friend, and Ratdog.... who all toured a great deal at times. Having all those bands around never hurt us before .... and now is there is less choices in places to go to get your GD fix.

Dino , I seem to be the odd man out on this issue today or maybe just the odd man ... I really didn't want to post in this thread , and damn it I'm sorry I did ... it would have been better , for me at least , not to post a comment on the nonsense that went on in this thread and my feelings about the author , just keep it simple ... I feel bad that what went on in this thread may have pushed Rob Eaton away from here , I hope not ... and maybe" protective " is the wrong word and "overbearing" is more like it , as I think about it.

• Forum MVP

Dino,

Thanks for piping in. Your sober and objective analysis on this topic is refreshing.

For me, as far as Further vs DSO goes, 1 + 1 = 3

reid.

Long live the music of the Grateful Dead no matter who is playing it...

point....& holdin' the space for this to resonate true...reminds me of "everyday people": "different strokes for different folks"...

"a community of DEADicated fans"...how 'bout an iota of respect for "no matter who is playing it..." ?

So he went to a Furthur show and liked it. Good for him. I went to a Furthur. I had fun. I personally think we bring the heat more ... but I'm biased. I still really enjoy watching Phil and Bob play music. They aren't going to be around forever. Fuck the politics. It's Music.

And I would venture to guess that more people will be turned on to DSO by JK playing in Furthur than we will lose to people who only were coming to see JK and not the band as a whole. I really don't think that would count for that many people. We are a band that is bigger than the some of the parts. And with Jeff Mattson breathing fire, the word will and is getting around that we are better than ever.

And yes DSO talk is becoming more and more prevalent and accepted on other websites.

This guy posted this in the "Other Bands" section. If people don't want to read discussions on other bands then don't read it.

Naturally, there are a lot more Furthur fans than DSO fans. They have two original members. It doesn't matter what Phil and Bob do. People will be interested in them.

For DSO, the best thing we can do is to continue to play and serve the music the best we can. New people will come to DSO for the music....And many of those people will be Furthur fans who now think it's Ok to like us since "The Boys" decided we are good enough to play with one of our players. Many are people who wouldn't have listened to us before because they can't get over our "schtick" and think we are some kind of Beatlemania act. We all know that's not the case. We all know we simply play the music well. Perhaps they will discover that too if they are now more curious.... unless of course they get run off or turned off by our un-inclusive and separative attitudes.

One day Furthur will be no more and DSO will still be here. Will we still run these people off then?

Let them come and talk all the want.

+1

1up.jpg

Dino--

Always good to hear from you sir. I'm actually in a very small minority, in that I want to see Furthur but have not yet done so. Maybe that's why I don't understand all the zany "protectiveness" or whatever we're calling it nowadays.

I think it's crazy that there are some bands that aren't allowed to be mentioned in the Other Bands section. As Dino said, if you have a problem with one particular band appearing in the Other Bands section...well, don't go there. And don't chastise people for posting about them when it can be easily avoided.

DSO could teach that other band a thing or two, though, about relating to their fans, because these guys got it in spades.

• Forum MVP

More importantly, is this thread dead yet or what? This mostly just a bunch of rubbish.

Thanks for the very wise words Dino! I agree with what you said all the way.

Now can we all just get on with our lives and enjoy the music we love? Jeez louise...

• Advisory Board

I think it's crazy that there are some bands that aren't allowed to be mentioned in the Other Bands section.

ALL bands can be mentioned in this area... From ABBA to ZZ Top, it doesn't matter... that's why this section is here... Furthur talk dominates this section for the most part, which is fine. My only gripe is the attitude's going on here when the discussion turns to Furthur... We all know that Deadheads in general are VERY opinionated people, and are hard-core so to speak, when it comes to their opinions. We all just need to respect everyone's opinions when it comes to music... If you like Furthur, good for you..... if you like New Kids on the Block, good for you..... If you like Gangsta' Rap, good for you.....

BUT

Let's keep civil towards everyone's likes when it comes to music... No one is right or wrong when it comes to musical tastes.... If you see something you don't agree with, or like in this section about any band, then please move on to the next subject line and go from there... Tolerances levels from the people who run this board are getting extremely low when it comes to the constant bashing and extreme arguing that's leading to negative vibes surrounding this once peaceful, and loving place....

Carry on people, but carry on with some respect...........please..

Thank you...

• Forum MVP

I'm actually in a very small minority, in that I want to see Furthur but have not yet done so.

I've suggested to you a couple times to go and see them ... I know the tix are a little pricey but life is short and as Dino said " Furthur won't be here forever "... I just purchased my plane ticket for the Sept Santa Barbara to Red Rocks run ... 6 Furthur shows in 8 days , just like the old days ...well , kinda like the old days ... ;)

.. Tolerances levels from the people who run this board are getting extremely low when it comes to the constant bashing and extreme arguing that's leading to negative vibes surrounding this once peaceful, and loving place....

Carry on people, but carry on with some respect...........please..

Thank you...

And here lies the point that Ive been trying to get across. The tolerance of the people running this board are concerned with the negativity towards what? I see no negativity towards DSO ever here... Which is good and the way it should stay. The problem is many here see any talk of furthur in any sort of positive way as the negative vibes your referring to. I think the only "constant bashing and extreme arguing leading to negative vibes" are coming from the over zealous dso loyalists that respond to any talk of Furthur. The few people stoked on furthur around here seem more positive than most. This thread in fact started off with a fantastic applause of grate music( with of course an edge of a missionary confronting skeptics). I like the way this thread has turned. Thank you Dino for a rational take on it. I do believe that the vibe around here will turn up a few notches by letting furthur discussions progress. To me the vibe is not brought down by the few positive furthur peeps but by the dso loyalists that believe there is no place for furthur discussions here.

• Advisory Board

And here lies the point that Ive been trying to get across. The tolerance of the people running this board are concerned with the negativity towards what? I see no negativity towards DSO ever here... Which is good and the way it should stay. The problem is many here see any talk of furthur in any sort of positive way as the negative vibes your referring to. I think the only "constant bashing and extreme arguing leading to negative vibes" are coming from the over zealous dso loyalists that respond to any talk of Furthur. The few people stoked on furthur around here seem more positive than most. This thread in fact started off with a fantastic applause of grate music( with of course an edge of a missionary confronting skeptics). I like the way this thread has turned. Thank you Dino for a rational take on it. I do believe that the vibe around here will turn up a few notches by letting furthur discussions progress. To me the vibe is not brought down by the few positive furthur peeps but by the dso loyalists that believe there is no place for furthur discussions here.

I think there is a major misconception about "the people running this board". There is NO RUNNING being done by the Advisory Board. None at all.

TR used to run the Board and still owns it. Lookyloo is now the Administrator.

Just sayin'.

Dr. B B)

• Forum MVP

Kinda, except that in the old days the lead guitarist was quite a bit heavier and sang more often. :blush:

John , what can you do ... that was then , this is now ... it's going to be lots of fun to be on the road to Red Rocks !!! We would have done the whole tour starting in Oregon , but we have to keep things contained to a weeks time ...

John , what can you do ... that was then , this is now ... it's going to be lots of fun to be on the road to Red Rocks !!! We would have done the whole tour starting in Oregon , but we have to keep things contained to a weeks time ...

Mike,

It will be a blast to be at Red Rocks!...slight chance I may make it...S.Barbara too...I listened to the gdradio stream on and off over the weekend and the last couple shows of the tour sounded tasty...that second set from July 11 is as good a set as I have heard thus far...Still thinking they might add some greek shows in Beserkley...Hope all is well at home..J

ps...that 7/11 just made it to the archive

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-07-11.mtg210.flac16

• Forum MVP

Hey Jon , Red Rocks really is going to be a blast , hope you make the run , it would be good to see you ... I was really impressed with the last show I was at 7/10 ... I had tix for the 7/11 show but due to things at home couldn't make it , and things are going fairly well here at home , thanks for the well wishes ... I also heard there would be Beserkley and Warfield shows in the fall , fingers crossed for ya buddy ...

just fired up the 7/11 show ... Thanx :)

Archived