Monster Terrapins!

Tea

• Forum MVP

Despite all the fabulous GD songs that have a place in my heart, I love me some Terrapin above just about above all else! The way it evolves and crescendos up to the inescapable psychedelic bomb-drop, seems to get me every time. It tells a great story that is always better understood in particular states of mind.

What are the most monstrous Terrapins ever played (GD & DSO if you so desire)? I actually like the first one a whole bunch and just about any one of them in 1977 are worth a listen. Although I am a fan of the 70

• Forum MVP

This one was particularly special for me. This one is categorized in my mind as "the terrapin show". It was one of my favorite studio albums and the show contained 5 songs from the album. The whole band was friggin' blazin' this night and Lisa brought me to my knees on Sunrise. This Terrapin was the meat in a second set sandwich that offered precious little time to catch one's breath. One of my favorite GD or DSO live experiences!!!

Show: 1358

Despite all the fabulous GD songs that have a place in my heart, I love me some Terrapin above just about above all else! The way it evolves and crescendos up to the inescapable psychedelic bomb-drop, seems to get me every time. It tells a great story that is always better understood in particular states of mind.

What are the most monstrous Terrapins ever played (GD & DSO if you so desire)? I actually like the first one a whole bunch and just about any one of them in 1977 are worth a listen. Although I am a fan of the 70’s more than other decades, 1990-1991 brought some very strong Terrapin’s. For instance:

Grateful Dead Live at Richfield Coliseum on 1991-09-06

Grateful Dead Live at McNichols Sports Arena on 1990-12-12

(This contains the passage: Aiko>Dark Star>>Terrapin)

What is the best DSO version out there? I loved this one:

Show: 1438 • 08/04/2007 Dunegrass Festival, Empire, MI

I would love to see what some other all-time favorites are so I can dive in.

B)....

5-07-77 11-01-77 12-29-77 10-18-78 1-22-78...this whole show is insanely good...top 10 for me...

I believe this qualifies as a monster terrapin...I think I was seeming something like this at the Boston show:

Doedicurus_BW.jpg

I remember my first was 4-27-77 and then Boston...fell in love with it right quick..so funny...we called it "inspiration" out there on tour and also Estimated Prophet was "California" for a while what with no internet or cell phones for that matter to get the word around :) Good times indeed Chuck...hope to see in SF for a Thanksgiving celebration....

• Forum MVP

I remember my first was 4-27-77 and then Boston...fell in love with it right quick..so funny...we called it "inspiration" out there on tour and also Estimated Prophet was "California" for a while what with no internet or cell phones for that matter to get the word around smile.gif Good times indeed Chuck...hope to see in SF for a Thanksgiving celebration....

I had forgotten the "Inspiration" naming...cheers.gif and yep, I'm making the short trek to the Bay for the holiday!

• Forum MVP

Don't get me started on Terrapin, although there are many songs that come close Terrapin just does it for me EVERY time.

Let me do some good thinking overnight and I'll make a post of my favorites some time soonish.

• Forum MVP

Dark Star Orchestra... Wellmont Theater, 5/29/09 recreating this show...

Madison Square Garden: 9/18/87

Set 1: Hell In A Bucket Sugaree Walkin' Blues Candyman When I Paint My Masterpiece Bird Song

Set 2: Shakedown Street, Man Smart-Woman Smarter, Terrapin Station>Drums>Goin' Down The Road Feelin' Bad All Along, The Watchtower, Morning Dew, Good Lovin'>La Bamba>

Good Lovin'

Encore:

Knockin' On Heaven's Door

This was my second DSO show. I will always remember the Terrapin Station, there was a moment during the song where I truly felt two inches off the ground, completely transcendental... not one person in the theater were on their phone-computer devices or aware of anything but the music.

The version played by the Grateful Dead in 1987 was also very powerful.. that whole show is amazing.

Nassau Coliseum, 3.28.91, they encored with Terapin, according to dead base it was the first time they did that since 7.8.78. One of the standout Terapins, at least for me, only in that it was a nice long encore that made me feel like they were in no rush to get off the stage, as opposed to some other encores.....

• Forum MVP

2/26/77 Swing Auditorium

3/18/77 Winterland

5/7/77 Boston Garden

5/28/77 Hartford Civic Center

9/3/77 Englishtown, NJ

Those are my favorites from 77.

As for post-77 Terrapins

11/6/79 Philly

2/28/81 Uptown Theatre

7/22/84 Ventura County Fairgrounds (bobby is wailing at the end jam with some feedback)

3/24/87 Hampton, VA

7/16/88 Greek Theatre (side note: 7/15/88 is also another great Greek show)

4/15/89 Milwaukee, WI

7/18/90 Deer Creek

Archived