White People With Dreads

Ed Holub

• Forum MVP

The article is great, the first girl is really cute, the comments are a statement unto themselves on society. And I know we have a few folks here who could chime in. Thanks for the share!

Yes, love the comment from the black guy who says they're all "credit card hippies hijacking a culture not their own" and when he's called out he says "I am in no way racist".

Guest jazz-man

My 22 year-old son Jesse has dreads and I think he looks handsome and cool. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5524&id=100000693273456#!/photo.php?pid=65346&id=100000693273456&ref=fbx_album It takes some work to maintain his hair, it just doesn't do the work by itself. BTW that/s my other son (now 8) Crosby, we went hiking last Christmas at Silver Falls, OR.

Yes, that first chick is very cute! Lots of ignorant commentson that article , just like the internet.

• 3 weeks later...

I prefer a girl without dreads...it looks cool on dudes, I suppose...kinda caveman-ish. I would never do it primarily for the harassment/prejudgement factor. :rolleyes: Oh...and my hair is thinning up top a tad. I'd look like some new creature out of the Predator movies or something. A cul de sac of baldness up front and dreads in the back...? :rolleyes: Eh....not so much...not for me :icon13:

• 3 weeks later...

Funny! Hate to be Debbie Downer but dreads are a "has been". What people want to do with their hair is all good with me, to each his own. But I do hope that "dreadies" realize exactly what dreads represent to the Rastafarian culture/religion. I would venture to say that dreads are more of a "cool thing" to have rather then any kind of "statement". And all this Jah talk gets to me. Especially when it's coming from a drunk, tattoed, meat eating dreadie in the lot. The Rasta religion doesn't believe in alcohol, hard drugs, tattoos(your Jahs temple), and eating red meat. Being a "hippie" seems to more a fashion statement the past 18 yrs or so. And to me, this is the opposite of what the counterculture is trying to represent. Just my take, beliefs and experience in the counterculture. And many of the dreadies nowdays seem to act "better then" just cause they have dreads. Chances are, quite a few obtained their dreads at the local "beauty store". lol

MAJOR pet peeve-white guys with dreads who speak/sing with a Jamaican accent! Oh this just cracks me up! lmao Ya gotta be kidding me?

Nice to be able to just be who I am, Feel no need to change my name to try and project some image that I feel is "cool" and will help me be accepted. Let it all loose and just be you!!! If being you is truly having dreads, more power to ya my bros/sis. AND, there are many woman who look VERY hot with dreads!!!

• Forum MVP

Funny! Hate to be Debbie Downer but dreads are a "has been". What people want to do with their hair is all good with me, to each his own. But I do hope that "dreadies" realize exactly what dreads represent to the Rastafarian culture/religion. I would venture to say that dreads are more of a "cool thing" to have rather then any kind of "statement". And all this Jah talk gets to me. Especially when it's coming from a drunk, tattoed, meat eating dreadie in the lot. The Rasta religion doesn't believe in alcohol, hard drugs, tattoos(your Jahs temple), and eating red meat. Being a "hippie" seems to more a fashion statement the past 18 yrs or so. And to me, this is the opposite of what the counterculture is trying to represent. Just my take, beliefs and experience in the counterculture. And many of the dreadies nowdays seem to act "better then" just cause they have dreads. Chances are, quite a few obtained their dreads at the local "beauty store". lol

MAJOR pet peeve-white guys with dreads who speak/sing with a Jamaican accent! Oh this just cracks me up! lmao Ya gotta be kidding me?

Nice to be able to just be who I am, Feel no need to change my name to try and project some image that I feel is "cool" and will help me be accepted. Let it all loose and just be you!!! If being you is truly having dreads, more power to ya my bros/sis. AND, there are many woman who look VERY hot with dreads!!!

Wait, does this mean that Adam Duritz really isn't cool after all??

• Forum MVP

LMAO!!! Not a huge fan of them but what I"ve heard, he's not singing with a Jamaican accent. Don't you find it phony to try to sound like something your not??

Adams fine with me.

I have no reason to dislike the guy, though I do find his dread lock extensions to be preposterous.

I'm probably just jealous of all the tail he seems to get........ :P

Archived