12/04/2010 Hard Rock Cafe Vegas

comesatime

Guest Lisacat

I think the Ship of Fools in the second set is very appropriate for the Las Vegas DSO Team.....just saying....Dr.V

It was actually very appropriate for the whole crowd there....

And since when is it ok to videotape someone for an extended period of time without their permission? With the technology of cell phones w/ decent video cameras, people are totally abusing personal boundaries. Video taping a dancer at a show is the equivalent of taping someone at church praying. Its a total invasion of privacy and personal boundaries in my opinion. Hope the guy taping me got his 27 bucks worth of entertainment.

Otherwise, fun night. Looking forward to Solana. Thanks all.

Guest gregp909

Video taping a dancer at a show is the equivalent of taping someone at church praying. Its a total invasion of privacy and personal boundaries in my opinion.

Amen! Seeing the Dead (and now DSO) has always been a religious experience for those that are true disciples of the music and it's message - sorry to hear your experience was influenced by someone so disrespectful of your communion.

However, the setlist looks amazing - wish I was there.

• Forum MVP

anybody seen chuck? i texted him but no response.. and 2 days after a hometown show and no post??? i'm slightly worried, as tour hasnt stopped him from posting on the road in the past

He was at Vegas show. Couldn't do solana bc of work. He is probably busy w work.

• Forum MVP

anybody seen chuck? i texted him but no response.. and 2 days after a hometown show and no post??? i'm slightly worried, as tour hasnt stopped him from posting on the road in the past

There was a sighting on Fri in LA and I was told he looked to be pretty sweaty , so nothing out of the norm there , but yeah Jordan , it's unlike chuck not to add some thoughts to the board for so many days ...hope all is well with chuck (I'm sure everything is ok) and you too buddy , hope to see you soon ...

Guest Lisacat

really fun show and seemed like good turnout. Glad they raised the stage a bit from the last time. The Row Jimmy was probably the best Row I've ever heard this band play...something about it - not sure what it was but it was incredible. Great slide work. Let it rock was also so much fun to hear.

• Forum MVP

Nice to get a hometown show...

Thanks to DSO for coming back to Vegas...

crowd did increase in size from the last time DSO hit Vegas last April.....

hope to see them back again next west coast swing...

only drawback is the stage is not big enough for a 2 drummer show...

good to hang on this little 3 show run with some friends from way back...

Bix, Chuck Vegas, LisaCat, Emma, Nantucket, RickE, Christophe, Steve, Kris, Ellen, Bobby, etc etc

• Forum MVP

Teacher Matt, your listed name run down got me feeling really sad about not making it to any DSO lately (and YES, I have some EXCELLENT excuses that are NOT just furthur tour, guys, so don't be too sad back at me, we're working on it and I'll tell ya'll all about it when we make it back home to DSO!)

Chuck, thank you for giving me a giggle fit :)

Lisa, I very much feel your pain, and especially like your comment comparing dancing at a show to praying at church... quick snapshots are one thing, and only mildly annoying, but lengthy video taping? for shame! sorry that happened, at least problems dancing at DSO shows are mostly minimal (the occasional grope, the occasional drunk coming forward during wharf rat to stand where you have been standing since before the show started, the annoying girl who wants to booty dance on you during comes a time, and once and a while some REALLY uptight security that sees dancing as a sin) and I really, really have enjoyed reading everyone's west coast posts because I miss this environment sooo much!

I didn't even realize how lucky I/we had it until we started navigating Furthur crowds and even standing on the PLANTERS in the 40+ somethingth row at Red Rocks, Jon had to literally kick a dude in the face so he wouldn't pull us off the planters in his rage... and why? bc he wanted to sit where we were DANCING... you know, I have said a million times that you can tell the DSO crowd is the BEST CROWD IN MUSIC TODAY because even in the front row the vibe is love and family and sharing and dancing our spaced faces right off.... Although you can find these people at Furthur, it can be difficult, and they tend to be DSO family there to see John anyway, and/or the few that are really there to hear the music evolving in a way that actually feels like the grateful dead sometimes (def have met some of the most beautiful people on the planet at Furthur shows!), the rest are there for some ego-based reason that I just can't vibe with, so we hide out in the side balconies where you still can't dance because every venue is seated to the front row (where people who don't even know who JK is sit in front of him every night bored because they got comped tickets from the venue, instead of us getting to be there RAGING, but that's cool, everyone deserves a chance up there...) and we try to dance, but mostly we just watch John, and watch the crowd, and take in the scene, because from that view it LOOKS like a grateful dead concert and since the Deviled Egg and I never got to experience that wonderful magic (in this lifetime, anyways), it is a cool visual perspective to gain.

BUT, that just makes me realize why I hear stories about the Pig generation hating the 72' kids, and all of em hating the touch heads, because as the grateful dead grew, the experience became less personal, the crowds became less heady (shitty, in fact) and by the end a lot of people had very mixed emotions about how much they wanted to go to the next show. so, since I didn't get to experience any of that, it has been interesting to experience it in my own lifetime with DSO and Furthur.... except they are both freakin AWESOME musically (it just depends on what you wanna hear, and the potential of both is what REALLY excites me because they both just keep getting better and better with the new lineups) and they both give a guy and girl who never got to see Jerry a chance to feel like we aren't complete freaks for only listening to grateful dead in the car all day (and in the house at the moment since we are visiting one for a bit, lol).

Damn, though, it's hard, the Deviled Egg just wants to watch John's fingers every night, but I just wanna dance to authentic grateful dead sound up front at DSO.... although we both love DSO and Furthur equally and gratefully, we joke about he is the reason we go see JK (bc that is all Furthur is for us) and I am the reason we go see DSO... I imagine that other deadhead couples have had similar splits in the past about what music to go see, I guess it's just a part of it ;) We have fun with it, that's for sure, and whenever one of the bands does something we don't like, we get to talk shit to each other about we wish we were at the other show, and it keeps us light about the whole situation.

I love you guys, I love you guys, I love you guys, and if I could somehow give you all the biggest cyber hug ever right now, I totally would, and if there was anyway we could have made it to CO by tomorrow night, we would have, (that was like, the 5th or 6th DSO show we planned SET IN STONE lately and had to miss because of this crazy awesome life we've been living since we decided to live on shakedown) but gotta wait for that deal to come 'round, ya know?

Kisses, Hugs, Spins, and Giggles,

Mrs. D

Archived