12/31/2010 The Klein, Bridgeport, Ct

comesatime

• Forum MVP

Show: 1893 • 12/31/2010 The Klein, Bridgeport, CT Setlist: 12/31/76 - Cow Palace Daly City CA - Friday

(acoustic first set elective)Set One Acoustic : Friend Of The Devil ; Operator ; Swing Low Sweet Chariot ; On The Road Again ; He Was A Friend OF Mine ; Stir It Up ; Jack-A-Roe ; When I Paint My Masterpiece ; Tell It To Me ; Big Iron ; California Earthquake ; Oh Boy ; Ripple

Grateful Dead Set One: The Promised Land ; Bertha ; Mama Tried ; They Love Each Other ; Looks Like Rain ; Deal ; Playing In The Band

Set Two: Sugar Magnolia > Eyes Of The World > Wharf Rat > Good Lovin' > Samson And Delilah > Scarlet Begonias > Around And Around > Help On The Way > Slipknot! > Drums> Not Fade Away > Morning Dew

Encore: One More Saturday Night ; Uncle John's Band > And We Bid You Good Night

Notes: Sold Out

This show was transcendental. I had only moderate expectations about the acoustic set, but was blown away by it. The set was pretty rockin'; with a few well sung ballads. Eaton coaxed the tribe to sing happy birthday to Lisa, who, clearly enjoying her birthday, was in top form both in vocals and in twirling. Lisa's lead on Stir It Up was a total delight.

12-31-76 was a marvel - the band meshed beautifully all night long. Kevin was the hottest I've ever seen him especially on Scarlet. Lisa wailed awesomely on Playin and LLR, scatted on Scarlet; it's hard to come up with superlatives for endless mixing leads among Rob Jeff and Rob.

The nearly 30 minute Playin' was mind-bending with teases throughout and beautiful jam after jam after jam. Seemed like timing or something weird shortened (eliminated) the >Drumz out of Wharf Rat and caused the band to stray from the set-long seamless segues of the original 2nd set. Slipknot was also strangely brief, tho maybe so in the original as well.

Ain't complaining though - this was a perfect 5 star show. The drumming was superb and the whole feeling was fun and cosmic. Show started promptly (1/2 hour late) at 8:30 in one of those rare fixed seat venues where there's good dancing room right in from of your seat. The sound was totally sweet and it was a great loving crowd, minimal barfing. Security was non-existent and a hassle free vibe prevailed. The show wrapped at 2 am sharp.

I'm so glad I knew they were covering 12/31/76 -- otherwise I almost certainly wouldn't have made the long drive to Bridgeport & the Holiday Inn. DSO continues to do the impossible - improve on themselves. Happy New Year to the Band, Crew and to the Tribe! TJed, you were missed!

• Forum MVP

This show was a magical end to an utterly fantastic run. New and wonderful places reached and peaks climbed--just blew my mind! It was so terrific to see friends and share the rapture of this night, and the three before it. I am totally happy today. :D

Guest gratefulkass89

i went for the two night run at the klein. the first night was great! The 12/31/76 show was unbelivable!!!! i am still speechless of what a good show it was. great vibes from start to finish. Hope everyone had an amazing time on nye.

• Advisory Board

This show was transcendental. I had only moderate expectations about the acoustic set, but was blown away by it. The set was pretty rockin'; with a few well sung ballads. Eaton coaxed the tribe to sing happy birthday to Lisa, who, clearly enjoying her birthday, was in top form both in vocals and in twirling. Lisa's lead on Stir It Up was a total delight.

12-31-76 was a marvel - the band meshed beautifully all night long. Kevin was the hottest I've ever seen him especially on Scarlet. Lisa wailed awesomely on Playin and LLR, scatted on Scarlet; it's hard to come up with superlatives for endless mixing leads among Rob Jeff and Rob.

The nearly 30 minute Playin' was mind-bending with teases throughout and beautiful jam after jam after jam. Seemed like timing or something weird shortened (eliminated) the >Drumz out of Wharf Rat and caused the band to stray from the set-long seamless segues of the original 2nd set. Slipknot was also strangely brief, tho maybe so in the original as well.

Ain't complaining though - this was a perfect 5 star show. The drumming was superb and the whole feeling was fun and cosmic. Show started promptly (1/2 hour late) at 8:30 in one of those rare fixed seat venues where there's good dancing room right in from of your seat. The sound was totally sweet and it was a great loving crowd, minimal barfing. Security was non-existent and a hassle free vibe prevailed. The show wrapped at 2 am sharp.

I'm so glad I knew they were covering 12/31/76 -- otherwise I almost certainly wouldn't have made the long drive to Bridgeport & the Holiday Inn. DSO continues to do the impossible - improve on themselves. Happy New Year to the Band, Crew and to the Tribe! TJed, you were missed!

32 Minutes to be precise for Playin'.... Longest Playin DSO has ever done, and that is a fact..

The show was on time from start to finish. The show was scheduled to start at 8:30, and 8:30 it was... 12/30 was an 8:00 start time, and 12/31 was an 8:30 start time.. Thank the good people at The Klein for letting DSO play till 2am..

• Forum MVP

Fantastic four night run. This year's NYE show closely rivals last year's, both so Incredible. Thank you so. :cheers::dsorocks::cheers:

Yes truly incredible. No need for comparisons; both different moments and different times, but the shows all worked with many high lights and very few if any low points, except for the terrible Dark Star and way too jammed ou playin' ha. The venues worked, even the seated Klien. Lots of room to dance for a venue with seats and sound was great. So glad I made the trip. Thank you band, crew, and those fans who made it possible and shared in the memories with me. So good to see so many friends and family.

• Forum MVP

I'm sitting here thinking about what i seen in the last 6 days musically and I am stunned !simply amazing ,great music ,great friends ,great food ,I can t believe Kris got up and went to work this morning ,its going to be rough for her.

I'm simply blown away at what this band has done for me. They took 12/31/76 and said how can we blow the crowds minds. From the mind blowing acoustic set I didn't think it would get much better. Loved the interpretation of the show, really shows what this band is all about. An epic Morning Dew by far! Loved the oh boy in the 1st set, got to respect the band for doing that song as I overheard someone say and I totally agree!

• Forum MVP

:blush:

I just want to thank everyone who made this run possible and so much fun. Everyone in the band. You guys and gal brought it every night and continue to wow me every time. The crew and everyone working behind the scenes, your effort and work is much appreciated. To all the great people i met at the shows. You bring so much joy into my life, i'm truly blessed to have you met you all. It was great to see everyone looking out for each other, making sure we had a fun and safe time on this new year's run. Thanks all. See you soon

• Advisory Board

Someone please fill me in on the California Earthquake. I freaking LOVE that song and can only imagine how sweet the acoustic version must have been.

It was fuckin' EPIC!!! I caught them doing it for soundcheck that afternoon and I believe Ms. Mackey shed a few tears it was so beautiful...

This tune is one of a few that I can think of that I don't understand why it never made it into the Grateful Dead rotation... I think this song was only played twice, one of my favorites is 10/23/89 in Charlotte, NC...

LOVE THIS TUNE!!

• 4 weeks later...

Someone please fill me in on the California Earthquake. I freaking LOVE that song and can only imagine how sweet the acoustic version must have been.

Hey FunkyBass,

That song was first played by the Dead at the Spectrum (Philadelphia, PA) on 10/20/89 and it closed out the 1st set. And then they opened with it on 10/23/89 in Charlotte, NC. It was an amazing song/sight to witness. The song was a tribute to the victims of the recent earthquake that struck San Fran. I was SHOCKED to see/hear DSO play it, let alone an acoustic version. Stellar indeed! Hope that helps

Archived