Carolina Theatre / Greensboro, Nc

Tea

• Forum MVP

Original Recipe:

Set One:

The Golden Road (To Unlimited Devotion) > In The Midnight Hour ; Althea ; You Ain't Women Enough (To Take My Man) ; It's All Over Now ; It Must Have Been The Roses ; Cassidy :wacko: ; *Rubin And Cherise :D ; Queen Jane Approximately ; Touch Of Grey

Set Two:

Jack Straw >Foolish Heart > Estimated Prophet > Terrapin Station :o > Drums > Space > Saint Stephen > All Along The Watchtower > Standing On The Moon > Turn On Your Love Light

Encore: I'll Take A Melody

Notes: * First time played

Complete review to follow in later post. Thumbnail: Super-Charged-Extendo-Cassidy and a sweet, sweet Rubin were the highlights of set one. Set 2 - Jack Straw lit the fuse and fireworks ensued. The band was in no mood to fool around and just let it FLY! What a beautiful theatre. Details to come.....it was a jaw-dropper folks.

• Forum MVP

Thats looks like a smoker. :icon14: I think that may be Jeff's first R & C with DSO. Absoulutely love the way DSO plays Foolish Heart. In all the times that I saw the Dead perform it.... Jerry always flubbed the lyrics. It seems they had a problem playing that song live. DSO doesn't.....they kill it. Anybody know of a top-notch Dead Foolish on archive?? Because if its there... I can't find it. Help a brotha out Stone.

• Forum MVP

Thats looks like a smoker. :icon14: I think that may be Jeff's first R & C with DSO. Absoulutely love the way DSO plays Foolish Heart. In all the times that I saw the Dead perform it.... Jerry always flubbed the lyrics. It seems they had a problem playing that song live. DSO doesn't.....they kill it. Anybody know of a top-notch Dead Foolish on archive?? Because if its there... I can't find it. Help a brotha out Stone.

This one is pretty Freakin sweet! The jam is feverish to say the least :blink:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1990-12-14.sbd.miller.89127.sbeok.flac16

While you move out from this Foolish, you have to check 12/12 + 12/13. One of the best 3 nite runs of 1990!

• Forum MVP

who sang on midnight hour and lovelight?

While I always covet the pig versions of these two from Barraco, it was Eaton's time to shine! The midnite hour was excellent and the Lovelight was a complete romp along with considerable vocal theatrics from Lisa. Good Stuff!

• Forum MVP

Absoulutely love the way DSO plays Foolish Heart. In all the times that I saw the Dead perform it.... Jerry always flubbed the lyrics. It seems they had a problem playing that song live. DSO doesn't.....they kill it. Anybody know of a top-notch Dead Foolish on archive?? Because if its there... I can't find it. Help a brotha out Stone.

I'm not Stone, but try 8-19-89 at The Greek. Encore slot, and the last song the Dead would perform at this historic venue. Such was the bliss after the incredible second set that night, that the chant of "one more set" swelled before the Foolish. They didn't play another set, but it's hard to be disappointed by the Foolish.

I have no statistical evidence, but it seems that Foolish Heart is in especially heavy rotation at DSO originals.

• Forum MVP

I'm not Stone, but try 8-19-89 at The Greek. Encore slot, and the last song the Dead would perform at this historic venue. Such was the bliss after the incredible second set that night, that the chant of "one more set" swelled before the Foolish. They didn't play another set, but it's hard to be disappointed by the Foolish.

I have no statistical evidence, but it seems that Foolish Heart is in especially heavy rotation at DSO originals.

i think more so w/ j.k. then j.m but lately it seems like jeff has pulled it out a couple of times

• Forum MVP

Anybody know of a top-notch Dead Foolish on archive?? Because if its there... I can't find it. Help a brotha out Stone.

Regarding the lyrics, Garcia never appeared super confident with Foolish and because the words are sung so quickly and seem to arise out of nowhere, there were many a verse that he was late for or even missed the beginning to.

I remember when Phil was being interviewed by Gans before the album came out and David said something like "So, i guess there's one song on this album that you seem to be most impressed with.." and Phil responded by saying "Ummmm...Yes!" It was Foolish Heart and it was pretty clear how much Phil loved this song in the beginning. When these songs from Built to Last started spilling out, there were lots of varying opinions out there (back then, people thought they were cool calling Brent's new lullaby 'I will bum you out' and Victim was not greeted with wild ovations--no one knew at that point that Picasso Moon and Easy Answers were on the horizon), but just about everyone I knew fell head over heels in love with Foolish Heart the first time they heard it.

I loved hearing the first versions of Garcia/Hunter songs because it had this extra layer or dimension of thrill to it...like you are witnessing rock'n roll history in front of your eyes. It must have been what people felt like when hearing Beethoven debut a piece for the first time after he was already established. Being one of the first humans to hear those rhymes and that music makes you feel like you are witnessing the unveiling of something that will be cherished forever. I felt similarly when hearing the debuts of Believe It or Not and Lazy River Road. And seeing the first Days Between ever performed was a emotional rebrith kind of experience where you find yourself in complete shock afterwards as everyone around you are wiping away tears. Strangely, the debut of So Many Roads didn't hit me that hard (I have no idea why). I sometimes wonder what it was like for those in attendence for that 2/26/77 opener.

But getting back to your question (!)...here are three worth listening to (I never plan on writing this much when I start).

I'll try to be more succient...I adore this one to open a remarkable show from Miami 1989. There aren't any flat out misses with the lyrics as far as I remember (I haven't heard it in many a year), but there are some late entries and maybe a mumble or two. But it has an urgency, an electricity to it that makes this a powerful version. It hints at what this song could have become if things didn't go the way they did. As an aside, the transition from Victim into Don’t ease is fucking scary!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd89-10-26.set1-sbd.miller.20614.sbeok.shnf

This one is pretty perfect in terms of lyrics as far as I remember. Garcia has 'em down pretty good at this time in his life and Phil is side by side with him from start to finish. In fact, I think this is a pretty good modern day example of why Phil Lesh is a once in a lifetime kind of bass player. And you've got to love how this one starts!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1990-05-06.dsbd.miller.80278.sbeok.flac16

This doesn't start with the crispness one craves on this song but it’s a good one. Vince’s backup vocals on the chorus the first time around (“Foolish heart will call on u / To toss ure dreams away...”) are, quite candidly, pretty jarring. I actually so clearly remember feeling almost mortified in that moment, like a great injustice was occurring in front of my eyes. It was only two sentences but I’m not kidding when I say I had a kind of lump in my throat like when one is about to cry! Garcia, however, weaves in and out of this one so seamlessly and deftly that it's all forgotten. His interplay with Hornsby is wonderful. They still have that early energy that was all over the MSG run that came a few months before. Plus they end this version with a great jam instead of the quick fade out.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd90-12-28.sbd-matrix.wiley.11498.sbeok.shnf

Cheers!

• Forum MVP

I'll try to be more succient...I adore this one to open a remarkable show from Miami 1989. There aren't any flat out misses with the lyrics as far as I remember (I haven't heard it in many a year), but there are some late entries and maybe a mumble or two. But it has an urgency, an electricity to it that makes this a powerful version. It hints at what this song could have become if things didn't go the way they did. As an aside, the transition from Victim into Don

• Forum MVP
...Victim was not greeted with wild ovations.

Victim was a complete mess when it first debuted. It took me lots of time to embrace it in any way, but once The Boys got a handle on the "controlled dissonance" that Victim embodies the song did indeed redeem itself.

Agree though that Foolish was very special the second it arrived. Isn't Hartford Spring '90 pretty sweet?

Victim was a complete mess when it first debuted. It took me lots of time to embrace it in any way, but once The Boys got a handle on the "controlled dissonance" that Victim embodies the song did indeed redeem itself.

Agree though that Foolish was very special the second it arrived. Isn't Hartford Spring '90 pretty sweet?

I've heard many negative opinions about Victim but I liked it from the start. It may have had something to do with where I heard it. I had a Bob and Rob tape I can't even remember from where that had an awesome Victim. By the time I heard the electrified version I thought it was strange and different, but cool. I always liked the end jam.

• Forum MVP

I've heard many negative opinions about Victim but I liked it from the start. It may have had something to do with where I heard it. I had a Bob and Rob tape I can't even remember from where that had an awesome Victim. By the time I heard the electrified version I thought it was strange and different, but cool. I always liked the end jam.

Victim blows.

• Forum MVP

Point taken. In what equally colorful language would you describe Picasso? Easy Answers?

I'm sort of kidding...we all have different likes, dislikes.

I will say that most don't like Victim, and it's long...

I will put Victim as number 1, Easy answers 1 b, and Picasso isn't as bad. It's cheesey, but catchy, and shorter...

(I will preface all of this by saying I'm a 90's guy, so take it with a grain of salt.)

• Forum MVP

I'm sort of kidding...we all have different likes, dislikes.

I will say that most don't like Victim, and it's long...

I will put Victim as number 1, Easy answers 1 b, and Picasso isn't as bad. It's cheesey, but catchy, and shorter...

(I will preface all of this by saying I'm a 90's guy, so take it with a grain of salt.)

I think Victim is a fine song. Garcia did some powerful things along with Weir, Lesh and Brent on that song and I don't think anyone can deny that. Some dark things. Some unsettling things. Victim had the potential, like Foolish to be quite the powerhouse. Victim with Bob and Rob acoustic was actually kind of pretty too, at least in my mind.

There were some Picasso Moons and Easy Answers where Garcia, Weir and Phil did some decent stuff but it doesn't mean that those songs are good songs. Those are not good songs in my book. I think we are sophisticated enough to know that.

Victim is an interesting piece of music and completely and wholly a Bob Weir song. It's got his blood all over every inch of it and that is cool thing in my book cause I'm a Bob Weir fan.

It's not easy being a Bobby fan these days. In fact, there are times when it's REALLY not easy.

• Forum MVP

I think Victim is a fine song. Garcia did some powerful things along with Weir, Lesh and Brent on that song and I don't think anyone can deny that. Some dark things. Some unsettling things. Victim had the potential, like Foolish to be quite the powerhouse. Victim with Bob and Rob acoustic was actually kind of pretty too, at least in my mind.

There were some Picasso Moons and Easy Answers where Garcia, Weir and Phil did some decent stuff but it doesn't mean that those songs are good songs. Those are not good songs in my book. I think we are sophisticated enough to know that.

Victim is an interesting piece of music and completely and wholly a Bob Weir song. It's got his blood all over every inch of it and that is cool thing in my book cause I'm a Bob Weir fan.

It's not easy being a Bobby fan these days. In fact, there are times when it's REALLY not easy.

somehow I knew I would get a response from you about Victim...I like nothing about the song, it seems out of tune to me, with no melodies to cover up Bobby, and lyrically, argh, I could go on... I would go so far to say that I would rather hear any other song in the Dead's repertoire before the dreaded Victim...

Guest crazy digits

Ya know, when the GD started doing these new songs, I didn't get it..when I got back into live dead with DSO, DSO helped me understand these songs better..still don't like easy answers and thank God I haven't heard DSO do it too often but Liberty and Victim were two I couldn't stand until now......Steve, listen to the victim from the Idaho show, summer of 2009...the guitar jam in the middle ( slipknotish ) of that is something to listen to over and over. Sarah is selling that CD at the Merch table..worth every penny!

• Forum MVP

Ya know, when the GD started doing these new songs, I didn't get it..when I got back into live dead with DSO, DSO helped me understand these songs better..still don't like easy answers and thank God I haven't heard DSO do it too often but Liberty and Victim were two I couldn't stand until now......Steve, listen to the victim from the Idaho show, summer of 2009...the guitar jam in the middle ( slipknotish ) of that is something to listen to over and over. Sarah is selling that CD at the Merch table..worth every penny!

or do me a solid and put some headphones on, turn it up to eleven, and play this one...

http://www.archive.org/details/gd90-06-09.sbd-matrix.miller-ladner.6936.sbeok.shnf

• Forum MVP

somehow I knew I would get a response from you about Victim...I like nothing about the song, it seems out of tune to me, with no melodies to cover up Bobby, and lyrically, argh, I could go on... I would go so far to say that I would rather hear any other song in the Dead's repertoire before the dreaded Victim...

I've always preferred the Bobby/Ratdog Victim to the GD's. Stone and I have gone round n round about this a number of times. There are definitely some GD versions that are good but I just hear a different song when Bobby does it on his own.

Archived