Sensitive Question: Dso Or Furthur?

deadfan

This is a very important topic. I've given it a lot of thought and collected reams of data. After attending many, many shows and crunching the numbers, the analysis produces the same scientific result every time. It it this: Do whatever you want.

How I wish I had never asked this question...it seems like it offended many when it was not meant to do that. I certainly never intended to infer that one should not do what one wants. I have gotten many a sarcastic remark like yours as if I am taking away peoples' freedoms to choose. This is not intended to go against the American Revolution. I believe in all freedoms. I was just wondering because I had learned some things about myself...namely that I don't have any preference but am just so glad that there are so many bands to follow. However, there seems to be many people, especially here at DSO Forum who are DSO fans and not necesarily Grateful Dead fans. And of course there is nothing wrong with that. To each to his or her own. But it was a revelation to me that there seem to be fans who like one band a lot and have strong feelings against the other. I would have thought that dead heads just love the music and love each other...and that that was the point to Jerry's legacy. I follow 12 GD bands now and each is different and each experience is thus different...but I don't think that any 1 is better than another but rather I love them all.

So I have crunched the numbers and did my own analysis and have come to this conclusion: Those of you who have taken this post personally and have responded sarcatically need to go to a show...any band..you need to get out there cuz the influence of the dead (namely the "love we bring") has been forgotten by you all. We ought to remember that we are brothers and sisters and that it is okay to disagree...you just don't have to be disareeable.

Yes, everyone should do what he or she likes...I am a math teacher and in math, if you see an X by itself, one can assume that there is a 1 in front of that X. When I wrote this post, I was assuming people were intelligent enough to "infer" that I am not trying to take away one's freedom to choose.

But thanks to all of you who have defended me and have not judged me before getting to know me. One person said it was a stupid post. Well I never made anyone look at it nor respond to it...but I wrote this post months ago and so far many have responded...so I guess it aint that stupid of a post after all.

(<~>);-D Let the words me yours, I'm done with mine! (For now anyway)

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP
However, there seems to be many people, especially here at DSO Forum who are DSO fans and not necesarily Grateful Dead fans.

I've been accused (rightly so!) of saracasm, not being smart, missing inferences, even betraying the principles of the American revolution, but never has anyone suggested that I wasn't a Deadhead. I've reached a new low.

You missed the point of my post...no slap at you was intended.

I've been accused (rightly so!) of saracasm, not being smart, missing inferences, even betraying the principles of the American revolution, but never has anyone suggested that I wasn't a Deadhead. I've reached a new low.

You missed the point of my post...no slap at you was intended.

Dude, I never inferred in anyway that you were not a dead head...but look at what you wrote and then put yourself in my place. If yo udid not intend anything sarcastic then I think you ought to try and see it from my point of view...Becuz from my pont of view, it seems like you are accusing me of asking a question that is trying to get people to love one band over the other. I definitely think that everyone has the right to his or her own tastes, and that was not part of the question that I posted. There is no bad feeling here brother, I am just really (sincerely) sorry that my question seemed to have offended some and attracted sarcastic responses (beyond the normal riff raff than any post is bound to have.) I mean, you write about your analysis and crunching the numbers only to dismiss my question over for a more pessimistic idea. Please take things in stride and re-read your post from my point of view. The remark about what other people say is not focused on you but if you look back in the topic you will see that people judged me before getting to know me or at least took my question negatively. I say I wanted to take the post down only becuz I don't want any bad feelings between brothers and sisters. I know that my last response to you was somewhat sarcastic as well and I apologize.

• Forum MVP

deadfan, i've crunched a few numbers over here and my results suggest that you're taking this thread more seriously than anyone else. perhaps you also could use a show. I think there's some comin up in a couple weeks.

deadfan, i've crunched a few numbers over here and my results suggest that you're taking this thread more seriously than anyone else. perhaps you also could use a show. I think there's some comin up in a couple weeks.

Okay, you.re right I am taking it too hard maybe...but it's not due to lack of shows....I have seen so many shows and last weekend was the first break I took from the shows in the past six months.

But I leave the words to everyone else...sorry if I took it too hard...maybe I am taking this forum too hard. I'm outta here. I leave the forum to you all.

• Forum MVP

How I wish I had never asked this question...it seems like it offended many when it was not meant to do that. I certainly never intended to infer that one should not do what one wants. I have gotten many a sarcastic remark like yours as if I am taking away peoples' freedoms to choose. This is not intended to go against the American Revolution. I believe in all freedoms. I was just wondering because I had learned some things about myself...namely that I don't have any preference but am just so glad that there are so many bands to follow. However, there seems to be many people, especially here at DSO Forum who are DSO fans and not necesarily Grateful Dead fans. And of course there is nothing wrong with that. To each to his or her own. But it was a revelation to me that there seem to be fans who like one band a lot and have strong feelings against the other. I would have thought that dead heads just love the music and love each other...and that that was the point to Jerry's legacy. I follow 12 GD bands now and each is different and each experience is thus different...but I don't think that any 1 is better than another but rather I love them all.

Deadfan,

The problem with such an open question on this forum is that you're dealing with hard core DSO fans, many of whom seem to have a chip on their shoulders due to the oft ridicule that DSO has endured at the hands of the greater Grateful Dead community. Not to mention the perceived notion that Furthur "stole" their lead guitarist. So from that standpoint the raw emotion shouldn't be surprising.

I don't see your comment about the board having "DSO fans and not necessarily Grateful Dead fans" as ringing true. Given that DSO's strongest selling point is their amazing ability to present the Grateful Dead experience as closely as possible to its historic roots, it doesn't make sense to me that a serious DSO enthusiast couldn't be a Grateful Dead fan. On the other hand, a Grateful Dead fan could quite easily NOT be a fan of the latest projects that original members are involved in, as some of those projects have veered pretty far from the sound of the actual Dead. Does that make sense?

And finally, you follow 12 different Dead bands?? Wow!

John A--

And likewise - and I know this isn't a popular opinion, but just know that I'm not espousing it but rather simply recognizing its existence - it is possible for enthusiastic fans of the Grateful Dead and Furthur to not be a fan of DSO because they feel that trying to recreate that GD sound so exactly cheapens the experience.

(Again, before I get flamed, I DON'T BELIEVE THAT:lol:)

Anyway...I'm sure it was said five pages ago, but opinions are like assholes, everyone has one. I have no certain preference, although I admit I sometimes sentimentally lean towards Bobby and Phil because I was not around for the "good ol' days," and want to appreciate every chance I have to hear them play before they're done for good. At the same time, there's so much power at a DSO show that it's like someone shoved a livewire up my ass and makes me want to move!

Hopefully you'll be at Gratefulfest, maybe we could talk it over over a few cold ones.

Deadfan,

The problem with such an open question on this forum is that you're dealing with hard core DSO fans, many of whom seem to have a chip on their shoulders due to the oft ridicule that DSO has endured at the hands of the greater Grateful Dead community. Not to mention the perceived notion that Furthur "stole" their lead guitarist. So from that standpoint the raw emotion shouldn't be surprising.

I don't see your comment about the board having "DSO fans and not necessarily Grateful Dead fans" as ringing true. Given that DSO's strongest selling point is their amazing ability to present the Grateful Dead experience as closely as possible to its historic roots, it doesn't make sense to me that a serious DSO enthusiast couldn't be a Grateful Dead fan. On the other hand, a Grateful Dead fan could quite easily NOT be a fan of the latest projects that original members are involved in, as some of those projects have veered pretty far from the sound of the actual Dead. Does that make sense?

And finally, you follow 12 different Dead bands?? Wow!

The reason I originally asked the question is because of my own ego-centric view of the music...I assumed that everyone was like me and that they loved the music no matter from where it comes. I asked the question after learning that there are those, like u said, who like this band over another but not just to that point but to a point that they acutally dislike or have strong negative feelings towards another band even though we're all listening to the Grateful Dead. I am truly a lover of that music and I find myself travelling 2-3 hours each weekend to see the one band that plays all the time -Splintered Sunlight. This is a local band but you would be surprised at how many people love this band and not other GD bands including DSO and Furthur. In fact, it was even news to me when I learned of folks that never saw the Grateful Dead but got into DSO or other bands without previoulsy listening to the GD. I think that what I am saying is that I don't understand why there is so much strife between the fans of the different bands. I love so many bands and I love the people there and I think that that is what it is all about. Personally, I don't care who is playing the music...if it si the music of GD then I am extremely happy. I feel luck to be able to continue the lifestyle I do and not having to view the music of the GD with nostalgia only (which is what I thought would happen when Jerry died). Yeah I am crazy about the dead..and seriously these are the bands that I follow..I am such a loser cuz this is really all I do. I love rock climbing, hiking, camping etc....but I rarely do those things these days cuz I am always at a dead show somewhere!

The dead bands I follow (each plays dead or JGB predominantly: DSO, Furthur, Splintered Sunlight, Wigjam, Reflections, InDead Nation, Steel-Your-Face (playing the in & Out of the Graden We go festival this wkend), Shakedown Street, Rhythm Devils, Donna Jean Godchaux Band, Reckoning....That's 11 and I think I am missing one here or there..I konw the Dave Jacobson band plays a lot of dead. And when I say I follow them, I have seen the pre-mentioned bands at least twice in the past year, some as many as 20 times. Do I love this music or what?

John A - I will definitely be at GratefulFest and I shall buy ya a cold one there! I hear ya with the Furthur timeline...they getting old. I am an old-time deadhead too but I have had my share of DSO shows that blew my mind out the back door. I mean that Electric Factory show with the Dear Prudence was absolutely fabulous! One to put in the record books. I remember coming out of a furthur show at MSG and seeing a small band play to small audience of folks who did not know the dead in the subway are of Penn Station....Dude, I was so excitely to keep hearing that music that I stayed there and danced to that little "subway" band for at least an hour and had a blast too! That is what I remember from the old days...People who loved the music so much that they just stopped what they were doing whenever that music played not matter from where it came, brother!

"Let us rejoice in our blessings, Let us utilize the fowls of the air, Let us utilize the product of the vine...will you utilize a little brother?" ... "After you brother" - Ernest Hemmingway, The Sun Also Rises.

• Forum MVP

When you come west there is Cubensis and, of course, several configurations featuring Stu.

Some say the west is best, others are heading out to the east coast. Me, I'm standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes just to get on airplanes when I can.

Deadfan, I think you were dancing right by a coven of us dancing next to the fire folks on the second night at Mighty High. I didn't meet you but one of our crew did and had nothing but good things to say about you. I don't doubt a word of it, and hopefully you won't resort to self-imposed exile from this board; too many other good people have done so over the years. Each has their own reasons, but it diminishes all of us when someone leaves.

It is just that, as has been noted on about every page of this thread, long-time fans here have been through a lot and maybe we have developed too finely attuned antennae for perceived slights.

I know arm to be one of the kindest, brightest, and most accomplished persons you could want to meet. Not that anyone has the right to question or denigrate anyone else's Deadheadedness, and for sure not that you were doing so, but he ranks. So do his pre-show feasts.

Andy, PMing you my address. Send the check at your earliest convenience.

Deadfan--

Just pointing out that I was the one that suggested grabbing a brew. Nothing personal to John A, but I don't miss a cold one when the opportunity is presented.

freddysanford7uy1ma1.jpg

Hey dude, apologies brother... I must've missread something or other...would love to buy you a cold tall one... hmmm, perhaps at Grateful Fest? Just look for the Happy Asian! That'd be me :-)

When you come west there is Cubensis and, of course, several configurations featuring Stu.

Some say the west is best, others are heading out to the east coast. Me, I'm standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes just to get on airplanes when I can.

Deadfan, I think you were dancing right by a coven of us dancing next to the fire folks on the second night at Mighty High. I didn't meet you but one of our crew did and had nothing but good things to say about you. I don't doubt a word of it, and hopefully you won't resort to self-imposed exile from this board; too many other good people have done so over the years. Each has their own reasons, but it diminishes all of us when someone leaves.

It is just that, as has been noted on about every page of this thread, long-time fans here have been through a lot and maybe we have developed too finely attuned antennae for perceived slights.

I know arm to be one of the kindest, brightest, and most accomplished persons you could want to meet. Not that anyone has the right to question or denigrate anyone else's Deadheadedness, and for sure not that you were doing so, but he ranks. So do his pre-show feasts.

I think u may be talking about Mangosteen...he is a great dude. Perhaps the one draw back about these forums and even chatting/texting in general is that emotion is lost and so is intention because we cannot see the others faces and react to what we observe with our senses but rather we might accidentally infer the wrong thing. I think that many began by incorrectly inferring my intention with this post and I know that I was incorrect in the way I inferred the responding posts of more than one visitor... I seem to say to myself, "These people don't sound like deadheads" On the other hand, I have never known a deadhead to be mean. So I incorrectly made judgements and I ignored my knowledge that deadheads don't act like this...So to this I am very sorry to all! I think I know of which group you are and I might have some incling to who u are. I remember dancing next to those fire dancers on the 2nd night. I know Mango is always going to Splintered Sunlight shows.... Do you see these guys? Peace to you and all brothers & sisters and I am glad I can clear things up. I was wrong twice about brothers when I know that we really love each other as members of the human race and followers of this phenomenon that Jerry adn others started.

• Forum MVP

I saw it man, Phil and Bob kidnapped him right off the stage!!

Me too. The Pa made an announcement telling everyone in the audience to look at this cool steal your face slide stage right and when everyone's attention was on that spot, they quietly and effectively ushered John backstage.

I saw everyone looking the other way but couldn't do anything about it. I think there was about 4 of us in that entire place who actually saw this.

For whatever it's worth, there was no force involved...Phil was holding out some kind of candy or something and John just followed him off the stage.

John A - I will definitely be at GratefulFest and I shall buy ya a cold one there!

John at GratefulFest...now that would be a funny sight.

I have a hard enough time getting him to come to the GAMH.

Relax. I was one of the people who thought you were trying to stir the pot with your original post. After I called you out, you explained you weren't trolling.

Since then you have proven you were not. You obviously love DSO and Furthur and thats cool.

Hey dude, apologies brother... I must've missread something or other...would love to buy you a cold tall one... hmmm, perhaps at Grateful Fest? Just look for the Happy Asian! That'd be me :-)

Haha no apologies necessary brother. In case you haven't noticed - and methinks you have, considering your later post about inability to portray emotion on forums - there's a rather dry brand of sarcasm/humor that permeates these boards!

and hopefully you won't resort to self-imposed exile from this board; too many other good people have done so over the years. Each has their own reasons, but it diminishes all of us when someone leaves.

Been wondering how this would all shake out.....Glad to see it ended on a positive note & we are all one big happy family(wether you call your self a Deadhead /Starhead/Furthurhead is really not important!)

Hope to run into alot of friends over the summer @ shows!

Peace,

Rob

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Chuck! I shall post a check in the return mail and, in the memo section, write: "Tithe for Dali Lama"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest tcrider

. I started seeing the Dead in 1978 and was privileged to see 424 shows, Jerry, Bob, Phil, and the entire cast and crew created something incredibly special and unique, and it brought, and still brings me to that place of pleasure and bliss. I love Grateful Dead Music.

I went to see Furthur at Shoreline in June and it was really, really good with moments of great.....and it's good to be back amongst friends in that familiar place.

But when I really want an authentic Dead experience, I go see DSO! These guys are amazing. I am constantly blown away by how well and how often they take me to that "place" , I mean after all...isn't that what it's all about?

Here is an analogy, I'm a huge Giants Baseball fan, I worship Mays and M'Covey, but let's face it, there best days are long behind them, and I don't want them in the outfield with the 2011 Giants.

I just got back from Gratefulfest. We where guests of the band and I was once again so impressed with their level of professionalism as well as their dedication to the music we all cherish. Matt, Nicky, Brian, and the entire band treated us so well, this organization is top notch from top to bottom, side to side and we are so fortunate to have them doing what they do. Thank you ...for an amazing weekend!!

For us fortunate enough to have experienced the real thing, we get to relive it and for those who hadn't , well...those are the REAL lucky ones, cause they get a taste, even a good healthy mouthful of what it was like, and why we always said, "there is nothing like a Grateful Dead Concert"

Thanks again, DSO!!

• Forum MVP

. I started seeing the Dead in 1978 and was privileged to see 424 shows, Jerry, Bob, Phil, and the entire cast and crew created something incredibly special and unique, and it brought, and still brings me to that place of pleasure and bliss. I love Grateful Dead Music.

I went to see Furthur at Shoreline in June and it was really, really good with moments of great.....and it's good to be back amongst friends in that familiar place.

But when I really want an authentic Dead experience, I go see DSO! These guys are amazing. I am constantly blown away by how well and how often they take me to that "place" , I mean after all...isn't that what it's all about?

Here is an analogy, I'm a huge Giants Baseball fan, I worship Mays and M'Covey, but let's face it, there best days are long behind them, and I don't want them in the outfield with the 2011 Giants.

I just got back from Gratefulfest. We where guests of the band and I was once again so impressed with their level of professionalism as well as their dedication to the music we all cherish. Matt, Nicky, Brian, and the entire band treated us so well, this organization is top notch from top to bottom, side to side and we are so fortunate to have them doing what they do. Thank you ...for an amazing weekend!!

For us fortunate enough to have experienced the real thing, we get to relive it and for those who hadn't , well...those are the REAL lucky ones, cause they get a taste, even a good healthy mouthful of what it was like, and why we always said, "there is nothing like a Grateful Dead Concert"

Thanks again, DSO!!

Very well spoken.........i was at GratefulFest as well and it was awesome.

I concur.......DSO is a class act in every way, top to bottom.

Archived