Sensitive Question: Dso Or Furthur?

deadfan

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Forum MVP

1. Wish I could share a incident that happened with a little lassie with blue hair that wasn't a wig as initially thought, and a matching rug.

2. Weaves, makes me think of curtains opening.

3. East Coasters never seem to truly appreciate how lucky they are. But I'll be dancing for joy at Gratefulfest and Vibes, even though the mid-west goes wanting.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I did not pose that question to piss anyone off. If you knew me, you would know that I am not like that. I first thought of that question because it came to me when I found out the opinion of a person that I know. I won't tell you her opinion, but to some degree I just assumed things, and found out I was wrong. I did not mean to bring politics into this and in the spirit of the dead, I am just posing a silly question. I love all dead heads, not just those who think like me. I mean, I met a person the other day who said he'd rather see his local band called Splintered Sunlight over seeing DSO or Furthur and that too surprised me. It was a pleasant surprise and I thought that I could share that with others. Personally, I have seen Dark Star Orchestra so many times...and I truly love their music and their energy. I have travelled in excess of the few hours I drove to Boston. I think the Jeff is awesome and Barraco rocks, so does Eaton. I've been part of their large audiences and I have been inches away from the band in extremely intimate settings. I would and do travel far and wide for these guys and for anyone playing the Grateful Dead. It is truly the music that they began that I love and I don't care who plays it because I have found that they all know how to communicate energy between themselves and the audience. Those who wrote that my question is not worth answering or something similar - well I am wondering why you did indeed answer. The question was certainly not meant to anger anyone or to imply that one band is better than the other. Frankly, I love them both very very much. When I went to the Furthur show over the DSO show, I came home wondering what I missed and if I had made the right choice. I know that I would have felt the same way had I gone to the DSO show. DSO comes around a lot more than Furthur, so I try to see as many furthur shows as I can. From what I have come to know about my fellow dead heads is that we are very silly and don't take things too seriously. I did not pose the question to be as serious as some of you are taking it. That is why I preluded it with the words, "Sensitive question" I would never intend to anger or stir up bad feelings with anyone, let alone the folks I enjoy dancing with at the shows - the ones that make the shows what they are! I connect with you guys at every show and we always smile at each other and that is what I love in this life...sharing my love for this music.

PEACE (ESPECIALLY IN LIBYA - they got more worries than my stupid question)

DSO is the best Dead Band going. After the Great American Music Hall I will not see Further or any combination again. There is no magic. DSO has magic and chemistry. I have seen enough of all of the combinations of what remains of the Dead. Everyone thought that once the DSO guitarist left than that would be the end of them. Wrong. DSO is better than they have every been. Third Night of Great American was the best I have ever seen. This is for sure the best line up DSO has had. Jeff is playing and singing as close to any Jerry since Jerry's death. The jAMS Scarlet Fire rival with any Grateful Dead Show. Here Come Sunshine they have mastered. The Bass has out done the Phil Zone. Bob Weir look a like is the master of the Jam. Rob on Keys is incredible. She is starting to space out her voice more and she has out grown some of the screaming of Donna. The Drums are hot and the Spaces are fantastic unlike alot of The Grateful Deads Spaces. I saw them 7 times in a row latey and every night the Band is UP. I DON'T THINK THEY HAVE THE DRUGS TO CONTEND WITH THAT THE DEAD DID. Hope they put OUT the San Fran Shows. I got 10 more coming up this summer starting with 4.29.2011. Hope to see you there. XChemistry

• Forum MVP

DSO is the best Dead Band going. After the Great American Music Hall I will not see Further or any combination again. There is no magic. DSO has magic and chemistry. I have seen enough of all of the combinations of what remains of the Dead. Everyone thought that once the DSO guitarist left than that would be the end of them. Wrong. DSO is better than they have every been. Third Night of Great American was the best I have ever seen. This is for sure the best line up DSO has had. Jeff is playing and singing as close to any Jerry since Jerry's death. The jAMS Scarlet Fire rival with any Grateful Dead Show. Here Come Sunshine they have mastered. The Bass has out done the Phil Zone. Bob Weir look a like is the master of the Jam. Rob on Keys is incredible. She is starting to space out her voice more and she has out grown some of the screaming of Donna. The Drums are hot and the Spaces are fantastic unlike alot of The Grateful Deads Spaces. I saw them 7 times in a row latey and every night the Band is UP. I DON'T THINK THEY HAVE THE DRUGS TO CONTEND WITH THAT THE DEAD DID. Hope they put OUT the San Fran Shows. I got 10 more coming up this summer starting with 4.29.2011. Hope to see you there. XChemistry

Thanks for putting a smile on my face for the rest of the day, hope we see you out there!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Agree...

Hey buddy, don't forget this is an internet forum. I've met Deadfan at many shows, he is a good dude, one that you want to meet just based on his demeanor.

So relax.

• Forum MVP

I was gonna stay away from this topic but.... I didn't ;)

I for one like it all and I'm excited that us deadheads have any choices at all!

If it came down to it and both bands were playing in the same night in the same town.... I'd have to go with DSO. I'd say I'm more of a traditionalist and enjoy the original structure of the songs and DSO gives me the goods night after night after night, year after year after year. You don't have to like what I like or follow me after I jump off a bridge but it's a shit load of fun and all the cool kids are doing it!

Such a good time to be a Deadhead! ! ! !

Hey buddy, don't forget this is an internet forum. I've met Deadfan at many shows, he is a good dude, one that you want to meet just based on his demeanor.

So relax.

Wow dude, very nice words...kinda gets me choked up...Thanks for the kindness. Also' it was nice partying with you @ the Note the other night! I felt like a geek, trying to buy you a free glass of water. LOL

Without the Grateful Dead, there would be no DSO. Without DSO, there would be no Furthur. I can't believe that people aren't grateful for one of them being around, little lone both. Embrace them all!

I agree with you...I did not post this add to stir up trouble but to see the opinions of my fellow deadheads...and it ws very enlightening. Some people have some real opinions out there and I guess this is the place to share such feelings. In truth, I am so psyched that there is so much dead music around. I have been seeing a band called Splintered Sunlight which I believe to be one of the best dead tribute bands out there aside from DSO and Further (if one would call Further a tribute band). But I have not been at rest for at least 15 weeks, seeing one or two shows per week. This past wk, my car was not working so I took public transportation, slept on the beach and was able to catch 2 awesome shows. I feel each band lends their own style and interpretation of the GD and each of the bands I follow, from Wigjam and Reflections to Splintered Sunlight and of course DSO and Furthur...they all have incredible talent and I always feel honored and lucky to see the different shows.

PEACE TO ALL!

What's that" I Know You Rider" line?...Gonna miss me when I'm gone.

Yeah, I jest recited that line to my girlfriend....or i guess now my ex-girlfriend. She is breaking up with me cuz I was in a group photo in which another woman who is a good deadhead buddy of mine, nothing more...she is married and her husband would hunt me down if I tried anything and I also have tremendous respect for him. So my girlfriend concocted this in her head and there is nothing i can do or say about it other than...

I know you rider, gonna miss me when I'm gone. Gonna miss your baby from rolling in your arms.

And now that I am solo, still following the dead, I can say this:

The sun will shine, in my back door some day, harsh winds will blow all my troubles away!

Wake up to find out that you are the Eyes of the World! A heart has its beaches its homelands and songs ofits own, wake now discover that you are the song that the morning brings...a heart has its seasons, its evening and songs of its own!

How many beautiful images in these few lines...they may play it a lot, but it's still one of my favorite!

• Forum MVP

aw, Deadfan, much love to you, bro! that is a total bummer... but maybe not if that's why she left because that sounds like a stupid reason :)

HONESTY is about ALL that matters in friendship/relationships or whatever, and with the music you seem to be enjoying regularly lately, bet you aren't hurting to bad for honest relationships, you'll find that special one just when you need to :) the search while not searching sure does make for interesting life experiences :) have FUN!

we dumped our girlfriend recently (her dogs in the bed or her on the mattress on the floor with them can only fly for so long, fucking DOGS lol) and I was pretty upset for a while (girls are such freakin heart-breakers, especially in this scene cause they are so sweet at first.... hahaha lol) but friendships are more important anyways... there's this shitty song I liked in high school and the line was "called up marie, she'll have sex for free, but for 10 bucks an hour she'll listen to me".... humans today are in a pretty EPIC battle of relationship re-definition and it seems safest to stay free lovin and never settle into anything unless the compatibility of life direction and world view make it easy to um, well, stay free lovin, i guess. why should our affection for each other cost ANYTHING, anyways?

and I can't wait til we meet you so we can have a 5 hour conversation after whichever band it may be we just saw plays about what exactly it is about them both that is so amazingly authentically refreshing, which is what prompted you to start this thread in the first place. :)

peace, love and light, buddy!

aw, Deadfan, much love to you, bro! that is a total bummer... but maybe not if that's why she left because that sounds like a stupid reason :)

HONESTY is about ALL that matters in friendship/relationships or whatever, and with the music you seem to be enjoying regularly lately, bet you aren't hurting to bad for honest relationships, you'll find that special one just when you need to :) the search while not searching sure does make for interesting life experiences :) have FUN!

we dumped our girlfriend recently (her dogs in the bed or her on the mattress on the floor with them can only fly for so long, fucking DOGS lol) and I was pretty upset for a while (girls are such freakin heart-breakers, especially in this scene cause they are so sweet at first.... hahaha lol) but friendships are more important anyways... there's this shitty song I liked in high school and the line was "called up marie, she'll have sex for free, but for 10 bucks an hour she'll listen to me".... humans today are in a pretty EPIC battle of relationship re-definition and it seems safest to stay free lovin and never settle into anything unless the compatibility of life direction and world view make it easy to um, well, stay free lovin, i guess. why should our affection for each other cost ANYTHING, anyways?

and I can't wait til we meet you so we can have a 5 hour conversation after whichever band it may be we just saw plays about what exactly it is about them both that is so amazingly authentically refreshing, which is what prompted you to start this thread in the first place. :)

peace, love and light, buddy!

Thanks a lot brother, for your very kind and inspiring words. I had been with this lady for over 15 yrs. Obviously it wasn't just this past incident that broke us up...she is a vey jealous person and I have never been unfaithful to her. But I think that it is time to split, none-the-less it has been difficult for both of us. There have been many tears from my own eyes and I am sure from hers as well. I just wished she wasn't throwing the entire relationship away on an unfounded jealousy. But you are right man, the music is helping me to get thru this...the music and my fellow deadheads & friends. This culture of GD music is so filled with love that I don't know what I would do right now without it. You are a very kind person with grate words of wisdom. I thank you for taking the time to make me feel better. I hope to meet you soon too! We will rock to either Furthur or DSO or maybe even some other dead cover/tribute band. I currently am following about 12 groups! I have not gone a single weekend in the past 15 weeks or so without seeing a show or two per weekend.

Thanks again bro,

"I'll meet you at the jubliee...and if that jubilee don't come, maybe I'll meet you on the run!"

• 2 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

I have to go with convenience right now , and that's the band ( DSO or Furthur ) that plays closest to my house on a weekend night ... I have limited time , hope that changes ... as far as choosing , it don't matter , I go see the band I want to see no matter how far or near during normal times to which these are not , so I'm limited to stay close to home right now ... but they both ROCK and sooner or later I'll be traveling again !!!

• Forum MVP

This is a very important topic. I've given it a lot of thought and collected reams of data. After attending many, many shows and crunching the numbers, the analysis produces the same scientific result every time. It it this: Do whatever you want.

Having just seen Furthur at Shoreline and DSO recently at the Great American Music Hall, I can state one thing with absolute certainty:

Both of these bands are the best they have ever been!! Absolutely steller music was witnessed at both venues. It's truly a blessing to have both of these bands to enjoy. Furthur is now playing a more jazzy style (IMO due in large part to Jeff's keyboards), while DSO is old school GD. Thus, they are kind of hard to compare. Both approaches are great, and I don't feel a need to give my preference of one over the other.

Now if only Frontsteet would play more gigs!

• Forum MVP

This is a very important topic. I've given it a lot of thought and collected reams of data. After attending many, many shows and crunching the numbers, the analysis produces the same scientific result every time. It it this: Do whatever you want.

arm is wise... and scientific!

Archived