Boston

rowe

Great night at the HOB for all lovers of Original setlists.

Quite a collection of tunes covering many aspects of the

Grateful Dead, Dylan, and JGB repotroire.

The band was in fine form, smiling from the stage,

and playing their hearts out on every note.

Thanks for coming back to Boston.

Wishing you all safe travels and good health

out there on the road.

Come back soon!!!

• Forum MVP

Geez, things are getting a bit heated on the Dylan front these days! I would agree that the percentage of Dylan in dead setlists was a bit much at times. Example....When you get an '87 show with a first set of 6 or 7 tunes and you end up stuck inside a mobile for 10 minutes..then I'm thinkin...dead wood. But I like Tangled Up in Blue JGB style and I'll take Queen Jane any day.

And since we are talking about snoozers, why aren't we talking about CC Rider?????

I agree with some of this.

The part I don't agree with is juxtaposing the phrase ‘10 minute Mobile’ with the phrase ‘dead wood’. I equate a 10 minute Stuck with some serious HEAT, if the X factor is right, be it a 6 song first set or not (although it wouldn't happen in '87 w/Weir singing).

But I agree with the part about Mr. Vegas being too hard on Mr. Dylan.

Mr. Vegas, with you being one of the elder statesmen on this board, someone whom we all look up to and would eagerly follow down any path, I beg of you to treat the Dylan name with some respect.

Please.

I agree with some of this.

The part I don't agree with is juxtaposing the phrase ‘10 minute Mobile’ with the phrase ‘dead wood’. I equate a 10 minute Stuck with some serious HEAT, if the X factor is right, be it a 6 song first set or not (although it wouldn't happen in '87 w/Weir singing).

Yea, dead wood is too harsh in retrospect. I love Dylan and I love that tune. To clarify, I feel like some Dylan tunes work perfectly for the Dead's style and sometimes I feel like they are just doing it cause it's Dylan. For whatever reason, the Dead's version of Mobile doesn't do much for me. To each his own on this one. I just remember the last DSO show at the Lebanon Opera House (recreating the Greek 7/16/88 (not 87 as I remembered) where the band played a relatively short set and me feeling like I had been short changed on actual Dead tunes. It's a funny thing, we are struck differently by different tunes. When you listen to this music as much as all of us do, we end up being pickier than we ought to be. I keep reminding myself you just have to step back, relax and take whatever the band gives you because it's really all good. We are blessed to have these guys and gal doing this all of us at all. So I'll take the occasional CC Rider or Push Comes To Shove. We all need to take bathroom breaks after all. What's funny is that I don't really find Mobile offensive. It's not even on my bathroom break list! Just would rather hear a dead tune in that slot.

Greek Set One 7/16/88 Music Never Stoppped-> Sugaree, Little Red Rooster, Loser, Memphis Blues, Far From Me, Bird Song... a nice show actually :)

Clear "pee break" tune is Rooster

anyone see Keith Richards talk about his book LIFE

on Jimmy Fallon .. ??

pretty neat .. !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48mhT3fehaY

Zimmerman? I heard somewhere he's got a birthday coming up. Guess he qualifies as one of the defining geniuses of the last half century, but what do I know? Watch the parking meters.

• Advisory Board

set 1

Women are Smarter

Mississippi Uptown

CC Rider

Doin that Rag

Blow Away

Lazy Lightnin

Mama Tried

Me n My Uncle

Tangled up in Blue

Set 2

Hell in a Bucket

I'll Be With Thee

Truckin

Fire on the Mountain

Drums

Space

I Need a Miracle

Dear Mr.Fantasy

Death Dont Have Mercy

Good Lovin

Encore

Reuben and Cherise

Oh how I would of loved to be at this show.... Still haven't heard DSO do a Doin' That Rag, and Reuben and Cherise, which are two of my favorites.... BAHHH!!!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DLawrence2

I took in the Boston HoB show 12-May which just happened to be my birthday, first-timer with DSO, so apologies if I ask ignorant questions !

The music and the sound quality were great. I would love to hear it again ... so, a few questions:

1) will the Boston show (2011-05-12) be available for download from the DSO download site?

2) when they record a show, is it taken from the soundboard mix, or microphones in the room?

3) the bass sound was incredible, that 6-string bass (plus amplifiers / speakers) put out some notes you could feel more than hear - was that the HoB's regular sound system? or does DSO bring some of their own amps / speakers? I would love to get that level and depth of bass in my own livingroom, but I'm not sure if the subwoofer will do it. Do the recordings faithfully capture the low end sound?

That's enough for now, I have lots more questions but I'll hold them till later.

Thanks for any replies & info - Dick Lawrence

• Forum MVP

I took in the Boston HoB show 12-May which just happened to be my birthday, first-timer with DSO, so apologies if I ask ignorant questions !

The music and the sound quality were great. I would love to hear it again ... so, a few questions:

1) will the Boston show (2011-05-12) be available for download from the DSO download site?

2) when they record a show, is it taken from the soundboard mix, or microphones in the room?

3) the bass sound was incredible, that 6-string bass (plus amplifiers / speakers) put out some notes you could feel more than hear - was that the HoB's regular sound system? or does DSO bring some of their own amps / speakers? I would love to get that level and depth of bass in my own livingroom, but I'm not sure if the subwoofer will do it. Do the recordings faithfully capture the low end sound?

That's enough for now, I have lots more questions but I'll hold them till later.

Thanks for any replies & info - Dick Lawrence

I'm not an insider but i do know a bit about it. I think they record all of the shows(soundboard, yes) but some of them end up having problems(sound quality, missing tracks). So i believe that mr. eaton takes the compete shows and picks out the best ones, remasters them(masterfully), and then they are ours for the listening. I recommend checking out some other ones from livedownloads, maybe start with 2011 charlotte. excellent darkstar>dew(ooh I was supposed to be there...)

Archived