Irene

August West

• Forum MVP

Is roaring up the East Coast. I'm pretty much in its path, as are many other Sisters and Brothers, including 2 band members on the Island. All projections show that this is going to be really bad here on the Eastern Seaboard. Hope for the best, and prepare for the worst. Stay safe everyone. Peace.

I left my home in Norfolk, VA, last May for a walkabout and am down in the Everglades for the fall. We were expecting a big hit until yesterday when she started veering north. Today we could see some very dark feeder bands to the east, but only got sprinklings of rain, the longest lasting about 10 minutes. Some friends who were in town for only a few days decided to chance going down the keys and had the same experience. Only thing they were disappointed about was that nobody would take them out snorkeling, which I think was wise, even though there wasn't any lightning today.

My friends and family up in Norfolk are still talking about the weirdness of the earthquake and now have this coming their way. I've been through a couple of hurricanes up there and have never suffered any personal losses, but it can get pretty hairy. The worst was the week without electricity and water, that was tough and I guess all that food from the fridge could be considered a personal loss

I left my home in Norfolk, VA,

Norfolk is expecting some rough stuff starting Saturday. I fear Isabel will likely be a drizzle compared to this one. The highest recorded winds for Isabel was 47 MPH at the Norfolk Airport....Jeff Lawson is predicting 60-80 in Norfolk for this one. The good news is that the storm surge is supposed to be around the Isabel level depending on the tide. Major flooding, but not much above waist level in most areas. I just hope the people living in Willoughby and near the water have the sense to move to higher ground.

Peace,

Joe

Storm picking up here in Norfolk, still have power. I can't believe some idiot just had to be rescued from his sail boat about 200 yards off the beach. They say his frinds told him to get off the boat yesterday. He should have to pay for the rescue.

• Forum MVP

Good luck to everyone in the North Carolina area and on up the coast and anywhere Irene is going to hit. My honey and I are hunkered down here on Long Island and waiting. Nothing yet--just a little drizzle--and our land line is already out! Wow--that's not good! In any case, although I know that government is really trying to take this very seriously and do everything they can to prevent injury and death, and I applaud them for that, it seems a little extreme (all MTA service has been cut since noon today, for example). We are not in either a mandatory or voluntary evacuation area, so we feel relatively safe. But one thing for sure--the more you watch all this hurricane coverage on TV, the more frightening it gets! My solution is to not watch it except to get updates every hour or so. I am very glad that my husband is here with me and not on the road. All good wishes to everyone in Irene's path, and we'll see what's happening by tomorrow morning when the brunt of the storm is supposed to be here.

Guest Lisacat

Good luck to everyone in the North Carolina area and on up the coast and anywhere Irene is going to hit. My honey and I are hunkered down here on Long Island and waiting. Nothing yet--just a little drizzle--and our land line is already out! Wow--that's not good! In any case, although I know that government is really trying to take this very seriously and do everything they can to prevent injury and death, and I applaud them for that, it seems a little extreme (all MTA service has been cut since noon today, for example). We are not in either a mandatory or voluntary evacuation area, so we feel relatively safe. But one thing for sure--the more you watch all this hurricane coverage on TV, the more frightening it gets! My solution is to not watch it except to get updates every hour or so. I am very glad that my husband is here with me and not on the road. All good wishes to everyone in Irene's path, and we'll see what's happening by tomorrow morning when the brunt of the storm is supposed to be here.

keeping all of you in my thoughts! Be Safe!

It's wet wet wet in Norfolk but everyone I've talked to has power still. The ground is saturated and so trees are toppling more easily. Half a million without power in VA alone. One of my friends is a master gardener and has already lost most of her front yard botanical garden. It's supposed to hit full strength this hour. Everyone says they feel like it's been going on forever. My old neighborhood (on a tidal waterway) is flooded and the streets closed. Evangeline, this is a perfect time to make popcorn and watch a movie. Not Key Largo, though :-).

PS You may want to fill the tub with water in case the water goes. Most commodes can be manually flushed with buckets and that kind of becomes a priority after a while... Although this summer I was camping on the Natchez Trace and a huge storm (they have some wild weather in central TN) took out a tall oak CRRR--AAAAACK 20 yds from my tent. The lightning traveled through the roots and melted the water pipe that led to the campground bathhouse. Buckets of water didn't work and we had to travel 2 miles to use the restroom for a couple of days. I'm not complaining, though. I love weather too and having that go on around me while I'm in a tent was very cool, although I would have preferred it 50 yds away...

Archived