Furthur In Vegas

Tea

• Forum MVP

I listened to the stream in Sirrus radio from the Vegas show last night. I know there has been some heightened sensitivity about Furthur-bashing so please do not misunderstand or misconstrue my take on this show.

It was difficult to hear frankly (the 1st set at least - save for the China Doll that JK shined on). I have since see some video, and Bobby was not right at all. Sure a few lyrical flubs from time to time but he was just plain out of it. I know they are gassed after what seems like a great run for them at Red Rocks but their playing seemed uninspired and sloppy. I just hope it was not a repeat of Nokia and that he and the rest of the band will bring the heat at the Greek. While JK did not have his best show, he was carrying the lion's share last nite - even Russo was uneven.

I am a Furthur fan so this is not ment to stir the pot. I want them to continue to play for a long time and I just became a little concerned after hearing what I heard. I can only imagine how energetic I would be on the road at that age pouring my guts out nite after nite.

I'll bet the Greek run will be epic....... :icon14:

I was at the Vegas show last night and thought it was really good. Bobby seemed fine, I was up front for the first set. He messed up a few of the lyrics and missed a change but that was about it.I've heard some of the Sirius streams and have never liked them. The high point though was JK's Stella Blue followed by the Scarlet/Fire. Mike looks like no rain tonight.

• Forum MVP

I was at the Vegas show last night and thought it was really good. Bobby seemed fine, I was up front for the first set. He messed up a few of the lyrics and missed a change but that was about it.I've heard some of the Sirius streams and have never liked them. The high point though was JK's Stella Blue followed by the Scarlet/Fire. Mike looks like no rain tonight.

I agree with you about the highlight being the Stella and the SF that followed was not far behind.

But I have to disagree with you about Weir being okay.

I think judging from the way he sang and played guitar, it was clear at least to my ears, he was not.

I actually felt embarrassed for him. There was a moment that happened when he began the Prelude that very well may have been the worst musical moment of his career.

I think this was just a really bad night for him...much like the infamous Nokia disaster. I didn't hear that show but it's hard to believe this one was much better regarding this band's rhythm guitarist.

I agree with you about the highlight being the Stella and the SF that followed was not far behind.

But I have to disagree with you about Weir being okay.

I think judging from the way he sang and played guitar, it was clear at least to my ears, he was not.

I actually felt embarrassed for him. There was a moment that happened when he began the Prelude that very well may have been the worst musical moment of his career.

I think this was just a really bad night for him...much like the infamous Nokia disaster. I didn't hear that show but it's hard to believe this one was much better regarding this band's rhythm guitarist.

Like I said, A shitty stream. Next time come to the show.

• Forum MVP

I've got a few comin up that I am certainly looking forward to :icon14: I'll make sure to leave the red pen at home and enjoy whatever gift I happen to get. Bob's voice has been givin him some trouble for the last few nites. Hopefully some peppermint Tea with honey will do the trick.

• Forum MVP

The Sirius broadcast wasn't as good at the Hampton broadcast a year ago, which was insane sound, but it was still good.

To my ears, there was nothing at all wrong with the broadcast and nothing at all wrong with Phil, John, Jeff or Joe that night.

It's all there in the board for anyone to hear.

• Forum MVP

It's all there in the board for anyone to hear.

Sadly, yes.

I had heard that Bobby began singing Minglewood's opening line to begin Maggie's Farm (Minglewood was 2nd song; Maggie's 3rd song). I just went to the archive.org recording. He got to the word "in", as "I was born in..." before shifting awkwardly to "I ain't gonna work..."

Think about that. I mean, losing verse, repeating a verse, singing verses or lines out of order - sure. But certainly in the history of the Grateful Dead no singer has begun with the opening line of a song they just played instead of the lyrics to the song they are currently playing.

So, Dstone you felt embarrased for him, may have been the worst musical moment of his career. I'll guess I have to defer on that one, didn't know you were such an authority on BW. Next time you plug in on stage at the Hard Rock I'll have to catch the show. Until then just keep on listening to shows on the radio and keep practicing and maybe someday....................

perspective

So, Dstone you felt embarrased for him, may have been the worst musical moment of his career. I'll guess I have to defer on that one, didn't know you were such an authority on BW. Next time you plug in on stage at the Hard Rock I'll have to catch the show. Until then just keep on listening to shows on the radio and keep practicing and maybe someday....................

perspective

From all accounts vegas was a really good show....Bob shines nightly....anyone who can't see that isn't going to shows.

• Forum MVP

Oh, I see, in order to render legitimate criticism the critic must be capable of doing better them self. Jawdoc, you can and should debate the quality of the show with David if you so choose, but your silly premise doesn't further (if you'll pardon the pun) the discussion.

As for your youtube link - well done, that was awesome stuff!

• Advisory Board

For what it's worth, I consider DStone to be a Professor with tenure and standing of the highest degree when it comes to anything Grateful...

When he opines, I listen.

I also find his opinions to be fully reasoned, insightful, interesting, and right on target.

Also, Professor Stone is a Weir fanatic. He loves and defends his Bobby and rightfully so, thus when he says something like what he did above I know it's not meant to bash or be harsh, but his heartfelt (and likely heartsick) feelings.

Like I said, for what it's worth (not too much) that's my 2 cents!

Dr. B ;)

• Forum MVP

For what it's worth, I consider DStone to be a Professor with tenure and standing of the highest degree when it comes to anything Grateful...

When he opines, I listen.

I also find his opinions to be fully reasoned, insightful, interesting, and right on target.

Also, Professor Stone is a Weir fanatic. He loves and defends his Bobby and rightfully so, thus when he says something like what he did above I know it's not meant to bash or be harsh, but his heartfelt (and likely heartsick) feelings.

Like I said, for what it's worth (not too much) that's my 2 cents!

Dr. B ;)

Well said, Dr.

Stone is almighty in my book...and a kind spirit, having burned many a soundboard for folks... so if Stone says Bobby was off, then Bobby was off.... (and honestly Bobby can be off, as he is in 60's, touring incessantly for the last fourty years.)

• Forum MVP

Well said, Dr.

Stone is almighty in my book...and a kind spirit, having burned many a soundboard for folks... so if Stone says Bobby was off, then Bobby was off.... (and honestly Bobby can be off, as he is in 60's, touring incessantly for the last fourty years.)

so then is it wrong to call a guy "off" who fits the description you listed above....

got to go to a show....

• Forum MVP

so then is it wrong to call a guy "off" who fits the description you listed above....

got to go to a show....

got it, you now have to show your stubb before commenting on any show....

(just sticking up for a good soul who obviously has the history to back it up)

seeing JK tonight, so I can comment on that tom and I don't want to hear any bitching....

• Forum MVP

Holy crap...what the hell is going on in here people!

Thanks for the back up folks....it's always appreciated.

For what it's worth, I feel it's okay for us to have different opinions about the music here or anywhere.

It's my opinion that Weir would cringe if he heard the beginning to that Weather Report Prelude, as just one example, but that's only my opinion.

It's cool that any of us have different perspectives on the music that went down. I'm not entirely sure what's coming from Teacher Matt but that wouldn't be the first time, his writing is not always clear to me, but I do feel that one obtains, by far, the truest perspective of a show while being at the show. That doesn't mean, however, that one doesn't get a valid perspective of the music by listening to the tape of said show.

Weir is more than allowed to have, what I think, was a fairly horrible night. I'll always be a big fan of his and I'll always root for him to play great.

I also think it's okay for fans to talk honestly about the music.

If I feel a show was bad and someone else feels the show was great...that's what makes the world go round...right?

Here's the music from that night for anyone out there who wants to listen to it.

http://www.archive.org/details/furthur2011-10-04.peluso-cemc6.cheesecadet.116265.flac16

• Forum MVP

perspective

Oh...now I see what started this...Jawdoc....sorry you seemed to get upset at my take on the show.

Not really sure why. Just cause I think Bob had a bad night shouldn't take anything away from the night you had.

If you thought it was an awesome show then it was an awesome show.

Simple as that.

• Forum MVP

I remember reading somewhere that a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. Thankfully most of the minds here are fuckin huge.

Someone also said "I contain multitudes." I'm trying to reconcile all this. No easy answers yet.

Archived