The Depot, Salt Lake City, Ut

Tea

• Forum MVP

Sometime soon I will be able to take a few of these in....but for now, I am reduced to gawking over the setlist and waiting for those reviews that provide for some vicarious living.

An original recepie with likely a 1970 vibe:

One: Casey Jones ; Me And My Uncle ; China Cat Sunflower > I Know You Rider ; Hard To Handle ; *Deep Elem Blues ; *Friend Of The Devil ; *Don't Ease Me In ; *Black Peter ; *Uncle John's Band ; *##Katie Mae

Two: Good Lovin' > Drums > Not Fade Away > Drums > Good Lovin' ; Viola Lee Blues ; High Time ; Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore: And We Bid You Good Night

Filler: Alligator > The Eleven > Forever Young

Notes: * acoustic, ## Barraco solo acoustic guitar

Looks to me like RB had his hands full this nite! HTH, solo acoustic Katie Mae, with a Good Lovin AND a Lovelight in the same set! This has hard-chargin, greasy-psychedelia written all over it. WOW!

:dsorocks:

• Forum MVP

Looking at that, wow is like grease - it is the word!

You better shape up Chuck ;)

I wonder how many on this board caught this show in the land of the MoMo. Seems like a city that would rather hold the Republican Convention than a freak-fest. Maybe Ann Coulter was there :huh:

Guest Relayer

btw, setlist reminiscent of 3/20/70 Capitol Theater...think i'll listen to it on my drive today...

It was 3/20/70 (plus the Alligator / Eleven > Forever Young "filler").

Not sure why the website calls it an original show. Rob announced the date and mentioned he'd been to the Capitol a few times... ;-)

This show completely smoked!

Cheers,

R

Guest jdinslc

Don't discount SLC we have a great music scene everyone stops here between CO and CA. And every single DSO I've seen here has blown my mind. Last night was no exception. The band was very funky all night long. Then there was that sweet acoustic set. Very Pigpen centered set naturally, including the Lovelight rap which was classic! Rob even asked the other band members to turn around so he could give the crowd advice for the lovelorn in private. The Viola Lee Blues went into the stratosphere!! We could only jump up and down and laugh maniacally it got so crazy. I could only bow down to Jeff's guitar prowess. Everything (and everyone) just sang beautifully all night long. A very energetic show with lots of variety what more could you ask for! Oh yeah and Forever Young as an extra when my friend and I were celebrating our birthdays was an extra bonus. Great sound in The Depot as usual too.

Guest crazy digits

Don't discount SLC we have a great music scene everyone stops here between CO and CA. And every single DSO I've seen here has blown my mind. Last night was no exception. The band was very funky all night long. Then there was that sweet acoustic set. Very Pigpen centered set naturally, including the Lovelight rap which was classic! Rob even asked the other band members to turn around so he could give the crowd advice for the lovelorn in private. The Viola Lee Blues went into the stratosphere!! We could only jump up and down and laugh maniacally it got so crazy. I could only bow down to Jeff's guitar prowess. Everything (and everyone) just sang beautifully all night long. A very energetic show with lots of variety what more could you ask for! Oh yeah and Forever Young as an extra when my friend and I were celebrating our birthdays was an extra bonus. Great sound in The Depot as usual too.

I have seen 3 or 4 of the SLC shows, visiting my good buddy Jim...only way I get to see him ;-) hard to get SLC folks out of Utah... Jim reported that the show was better than sick...missed another grate one!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LovinTheLight

I have to second the comments on this show. I've seen DSO several times here in SLC, and each show rated somewhere between killer and mind-blowing. This one was no exception. Viola Lee Blues was the unexpected highlight of the night, as jdinslc noted. It was so gratuitously amazing I was laughing hysterically as well. And the "filler"! Alligator > Eleven ... What a treat. I was in heaven. I've never seen a Dead/DSO show from such an early year, and it was a gift that was a long time coming. Thank you, DSO! Come back soon.

I checked a few places and couldn't find a recording of the show. If anyone knows where to find, I would appreciate if you could point me that direction.

Archived