The Peak Of Penn

Mango

• Forum MVP

Eaton was suffering from throat issues so it was an almost all jerry show. Just the electric piano on stage, no b3. Simple drum setup(2).

This likely not in the right order and I expect to have missed a few...

Mighty Quinn, brown eyed women, Mr. Charlie, jack a roe, candyman, STRANGE MAN, Tenn jed, easy wind(extra hot), sugaree(also extra hot)

China/rider/unbroken chain, help/slip/franklins/eyes/drums/visions of johana/MIDNIGHT MOONLIGHT

Werewolves/golden road

So ridiculously good. Band firing on all cylinders. This just keeps getting better. Think I'm gonna take the weekend off, be back for state college...

Thank you!

• Forum MVP

mighty quinn

brown eyed women

mr. charlie

tennessee jed

jack a roe

candyman

easy wind

west la fadeaway

strange man

sugaree

reuben and cherise

china cat

i know you rider

help on the way

slipknot!

franklin's tower

unbroken chain

eyes of the world

drums

visions of johanna

midnight moonlight

werewolves of london

golden road

• Forum MVP

Somebody offer me a free place to stay and a ticket and ill be there. This whole tour thing is expensive, especially when you like showers and hotel rooms. This has been so amazing so far. I suspect that the trend will continue.

After not being able to connect to the music or setlist in Ithaca, I wasn't expecting much at Penn's Peak. Really amazing show. The best Visions of Johanna I ever heard by anyone. It felt like the band members were pushing each other to break out of musical boxes every five minutes. As a non-dancer who likes exploring inwardly with this music, being surrounded by friends and not being shoved by others, with no talkers or yelling singers in our neighborhood, was great. Highlights everywhere-a good one to get a copy of-it might translate well to CD.

As with most of us who dig this musical genre, I find music can move my spirit deeply. It’s food for the soul. Personally, this show brought my soul and my heart to places I have never reached at ANY improv band show. As others have said, words can't describe the phenomenon and energy we were privileged to be a part of on that blustery evening in the Poconos. Truly spiritual experiences cannot be accurately explained with earthly adjectives.

It may have been chilly outside, but inside of Penn's Peak was warm with smiles, good-vibes, and amazing performances by every member of the band. Poor Rob was having throat issues (possibly because he sang his huevos off in New Brunswick on the prior night), but it seemed that complication compelled the band to push themselves even further. I could gush endlessly about virtuosity and collective improvisational instrumental dialogs onstage, but watch a few of the vids that have been generously posted here and witness it for yourself.

The band never disappoints, and the Penn's Peak show was, in my opinion, one for the dso history book. I really hope the band decides to offer this show on Nugs as a buyable download. In my opinion, it would become as popular a show as, say, GD's Barton Hall ' 77 or Hollywood Palladium '71 among DSO fans.

Looking forward to Baltimore, Philadelphia, Montclair. Hopefully I can swing DC too, but we'll see......

Again - a HUGE thank you to DSO!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Forum MVP

Ooooo I forgot that rueben and cherise closed the set and it was Fuckin awesome. And a west la in there somewhere in.....

My buddy in Rochester has been wanting a Cherise, glad to hear it's being played, what a way to go into set break, I'm sure big smiles on everyone's faces! I've been looking for a Don't Let Go for the past year or two.

Archived